Sound clipping with azden and rio 600 help?

goosegunner

I put together a ecaller with a azden WLX-PRO and a rio 600 with a the 5" speco speaker that people are using.

The problem I am having is sound clipping if I turn the volume up past about 6. It seems to be at different volume levels for different sounds.

Does the mini amp help this?

Does low battery cause?

I tried just the speco speaker and the rio 600 with that set up you have to go all the way to 20 and it is still not as loud as the azden set up.

thanks

goosegunner

Goosegunner, I put together the Azden remote on the JS Power Pro using a cassette recorder for the source. I first got all kinds of hum & distortion so I took the advice of one of the members of this site and changed to a stereo patch cord. That helped a lot but still was not clear enough for me. Trying everything I could think a light bulb went off in my brain. My very good friend and fishing partner holds numerous patents for manufacturing amplifiers and microphones so I ran the problem past him. It took about 5 minutes to diagnois it. I'm no electrical guru but I'll try explain what he did. Your source whether it be a cassette or MP3 is designed to project the sound level strong enough to drive headphones. The Azden transmitter is designed to accept a signal from a microphone and cannot handle the output the source is trying to feed through it. It's like trying to hook up a fire hose to a garden hose. The solution was wire in another volume control in the patch cord. You can then regulate the amount that the transmitter can handle from the source. I took it out Friday and I was as clear as a bell. The volume was tremendous. I have the inline control set almost to a minimum and my PowerPro amp only up about 25-30%. That gives me all the volumn I need and can be in complete control of the speaker volumn from my cassette control. If I need just a little more I can adjust either of the other 2. I hope this helps you and some of the other guys still stugglling with unwanted noise.

email me @ trophystore@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions.

Walleye

Walleye , what volume control did you use on your patch cord between the cassette player and the Azden transmitter, part number , ect. and did you just solder it in line on one of the lines of the patch cord?
I am curious because my power pro /Azden set up using a cassette player cuts on and off when going to high volume and this vol. control sounds like the ticket. Bruce

YaColt Yote, I don't know if I can describe this control because my friend used some misc parts he had in his inventory. It consisted of a small aluminum cast box, about 1"x1"x3. We drilled a hole in each end for the leads from the patch cord after we cut that. These wholes we made a little undersized so when we pulled the patch cord through it was real tight to prevent moisture from getting in. The coating on the wire basically made a seal. Drilled a whole in the top and attatched a dial type reostat type volume control (he called it a "can"). We soldered just one of the 2 feed lines and the ground to the control and grounded the control to the box. Put the lid on the box and that was it. I'm sure RS has something that is far simpler but we were at his house and he had this stuff so we used it. All your doing is controlling the amount of signal being fed into the microphone imput on the Azden. One thing that you might want to pay particular attention to is placement of the control in the patch cord. I put it about 8-10" from the source end so I have it close to the source volume control. Then your not fumbling with finding it somewhere in the middle of your 6' patch cord. If you have to make any adjustments for balance both controls are right there at your fingertips.

I hope this helped. We made more of a project out of it then we had to but it was late, the stores were closed and most of all he new what he was doing cuz I sure didn't. It did work well though.

Good Luck,
Walleye

Thanks Walleye for the info. I will give it a try. If you have a way to scan a picture of the wiring job like a hand written schematic that would help on how to hook up the wires and the rheostat. Post them here or send me an e mail at [url=mailto:prtc101@hotmail.com

Bruce, My wife left for Vegas for a trade show and took the digital camera with her so I can't send you a photo till she gets back next week. If you email me your fax# I try to draw up a schematic if you need it before then. You can reach me anytime @ [url=mailto:trophystore@sbcglobal.net.

Where do I go to find the Azden wireless system?
I am really impressed with some of the systems you guys have and may try to build one myself.

Avenger, I got mine at BHphotovideo.com in NY. Price from them 135.00. Some of the other guys have found them on Ebay for less occassionally. There is another online retailer mentioned sometimes for about 125.00 or so but I don't remember the name. B&H always had done well for me. For further info go to PM search under Azden. You'll get all the scoop on the unit and where to get it.

Good Hunting!
Walleye

Back