no fire

White Eagle

Blackpowder hunting is so very different
I had a ftf tonight and tried to get her lit but she would not fire after six caps I brought it home and had to pull the charge
I shoot a trad m/l in 54 cal w/patch and rb
I'm just glad I didn't see any deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Apparently the spark isn't getting to the powder or the powder has been compromised somehow that it won't ignite. Give the gun a good cleaning as per instructions that came with the gun and make sure your nipple is clear. I always shot a cap or 2 off by itself holding the muzzle close to a leaf or some other light object to see if poofed all the way through. Also do not use any petroleum based products when cleaning your bp gun. If everything is clean and clear and the powder is good it should go off every time.

Oatsayo,
Chances are you had a blockage in the vent channel. Pull your nipple and clean the channel real good.
make sure you always wipe the bore with a dry patch and blow out the vent before loading. also a good idea to snap a couple caps before loading the first time to burn out any oil that may have gotten into the channel.
I mainly use a flintlock but with a caplock you can prime the nipple with alittle 4f in a primming tool. That will help alot.
let me know if that helps.

I always carried a nipple pick and a nipple wrench and have had to take the nipple out and put a tiny bit of powder in the flashole. When loading, I always pour in the charge and then tap the lockwork to help settle the powder into the flashole as much as possible.

Its part of using a traditional gun, I cant tell you how many deer got away because I was in less than desirable weather and had the same issue.

I supposed that if I had a deer in my sights and the gun didn;t go I would really be p.o'd
Its kinda funny really but that's why I went with traditional style
I did take the nipple off and checked the flash hole before I headed to my stand
I charged the rifle las evening in my warm home and went out in 9° weather
may have put some condensation in the charge ......don't know...just a thought
I will do as some of you recmd and give it a good clean and ck everything to make sure its dry
Wahdoh Nah
one good thing the caps all fired /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Blackpowder hunting is so very different
I had a ftf tonight and tried to get her lit but she would not fire after six caps I brought it home and had to pull the charge
I shoot a trad m/l in 54 cal w/patch and rb
I'm just glad I didn't see any deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

In PA we have a flintlock only season after Christmas. I also hunt NY ML season with 2 friends who use cap locks. We always shoot off our charges at the end of the day. I'm surprised how many times they cant get them to fire. With my flintlocks as long as I keep the lock covered in rain and snow, and change my pan charge at mid day and remember to pick my touch hole it goes bang. If its wet you may want to think about a lock cover. Worth every penny.

I always put a cap on unloaded rifle, point at a mirror and touch it off. The flash is easy to see in the mirror. Also unscrew the nipple and put a touch of priming powder in the flash channel after loading and before capping.

Found that a fired .32 ACP pistol case can be expanded just a tad so that it fits over the capped nipple on my rifle. You can let the hammer down on this case which helps to keep everything dry until ready to cock the hammer and aslo serves as a "safety". Just don't forget to remove the empty cartridge case before firing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,
hm

ps: edit to add: BP is much easier to light up than Pyrodex.

Back