Ballistic Tip vs Soft Point

reflexbuckskin

Mom was goin to walmart today and i needed a nother box of .270 shells and she went and got a box of 36 dollar ballistic tips!!! i normally only shoot the 20 dollar soft points or w/e lol. I dont think that they allow returns on ammo so will these two ammuntions shoot about the same. I wont shoot over 100 yards so does it really matter? thank you

20 dollar SP are just about a thing of the past anyway. shoot a group with them and your good to go. BTW you are way overgunned with a 270 and limiting to 100 Yards

No two different loadings will shoot to the same point out of any given rifle, except by the largest fluke of luck.

You need to find a range and sight in the new bullets properly. They will be very effective on game as far away as you can hit it properly.

well ive never shot these shells before. And im only limited to 100 yards because we're drivin off some woods tomorrow for whitetail. I didnt kno where else to ask this

I hate ballistic tips (for deer), but some have good luck with them. I'd make sure to avoid the shoulder and you should be okay. You should be o.k. with your zero, but rifles and loads are funny sometimes. Personally I'd go shoot a couple just to be sure. But, i have 3 75 grain loads for my 25 WSSM that shoot to the same place (75 gr. barnes x, 75 gr. hndy hp, and 75 gr. hndy v-max.) You'd probably be just fine to kill a deer at that range.

Quote:
well ive never shot these shells before. And im only limited to 100 yards because we're drivin off some woods tomorrow for whitetail. I didnt kno where else to ask this

When you change loads, you need to check your sight-in to verify that the two loads hit to the same point of impact/aim. Probably won't happen that they would hit exactly the same and will require a minor scope tweaking. It will matter to both you and the deer!

Quote:

I can't answer for a 270, but I can answer on 223, coming out of an AR. All I shoot is hollow point varmit (usually 50 gr), or SP, usually 63 gr.

Out of my AR's the 63 gr. SP seems to be slightly more accurate, not a tremendous amount, just enough difference to be noticeable, if you pay attention. Of course the greater the wind velocity, the more accurate the 63 gr. SP becomes.

Out of the same AR's the 50 gr. HP does a very good job.

The biggest differences I see between the two bullets is the amount of damage after you hit the target (PD's in my case). The 50 gr. HP just totally wrecks a PD. A mid body hit creates A LOT of external damage, and almost appears to be on the verge of turning the carcass inside out.

The 63 gr. SP has a totally different effect on the carcass. The carcass externally is mostly intact, but you can tell there's a tremendous amount of internal damage. Sometimes I get an exit wound, and sometimes not. It seems like a hit with the 63 gr. SP like every bone in its body is crushed, or broken. It's like taking a well (live) PD, and stomping it over and over with your foot. The carcass is very limp, i.e. like the skeleton has been totally destroyed.

Don't know if this is relevant enough to help you any, or not, but I sure hope it does.

Hangtime.

Yes your point of impact is going to change, At a 100 speed difference is
going to create the biggest change vertically and with harmonics could leave
you 2 or 3 inches high or low. And and 1 1/2 right or left is not uncommon.
All fine for deer at the ranges you are taking your deer at.

Hey thanks guys all your information is appreciated!!! i hope i dont get called unethical but I didnt get a chance to shoot it in today and im goin out tomorrow mornin but i promise i wont shoot past 75 yards!! lol

Quote:
"... I wont shoot over 100 yards so does it really matter? thank you

Well, kinda yes and kinda no.

When you switch ammo, it is a good idea to check the zero, cuz most of the time there will be a little change.

But if you don't have time to go back to the to the store, you sure don't have time to go to the range.

On the other hand - the worst the zero will change is an inch or two, and for a deer at 100yds, you (and he) won't ever know the difference - relax and go shoot one.

AT 110YDS WITH A 270 IF YOU DONT CHANGE BULLET WEIGHT I DARE YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

MOST FACTORY FIREARMS AND AMO WILL NOT SHOOT GOOD ENOUGH TO TELL.

BUTT AND I MEAN A BIG BUTTT DO NOT GO IN THE WOODS WITH A UNPROVEN RIFLE AMO COMBO, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Quote:
AT 110YDS WITH A 270 IF YOU DONT CHANGE BULLET WEIGHT I DARE YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

BUTT AND I MEAN A BIG BUTTT DO NOT GO IN THE WOODS WITH A UNPROVEN RIFLE AMO COMBO, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

First, UNLOCK YOUR CAPSLOCK!! IT IS GETTING REAL BORING TO READ YOUR STUFF!

Second, most factory rifles ARE accurate enough to tell the difference.

And third, you are wrong. I shoot two different 270s, and whatever the load, they never vary more than an inch and a half from zero - I would take either one, and buy any box of ammo right off the sheal at a gun store, and shoot deer at 100 yds - and the deer would get stone dead real quick.

Quote:

Well, the ALL CAPS thing has been pointed out a few times.

And I agree; you are wrong. I adjust my sights every time I change the load I'm using. I have no two that will shoot to the same spot for any of my rifles.

Quote:
Quote:

First, UNLOCK YOUR CAPSLOCK!! IT IS GETTING REAL BORING TO READ YOUR STUFF!

Second, most factory rifles ARE accurate enough to tell the difference.

And third, you are wrong. I shoot two different 270s, and whatever the load, they never vary more than an inch and a half from zero - I would take either one, and buy any box of ammo right off the sheal at a gun store, and shoot deer at 100 yds - and the deer would get stone dead real quick.

I agree. your only going to be off an inch or 2 at most. For driving PA Deer and Bear they wont know the difference. If you were stand hunting fields or power lines with 300 yard shots you would need to check your zero. Good Luck!

That is what I ment is the poi is very close.

And I did not know about the cap lock thing or that it was a big deal,sorry.

Last edited:
i think you will be fine, i would however shoot it the first chance i get i like knowing for sure where the gun shoots i just smoked one last night at 431 yards at that range it would make a huge difference at 100 i dont think you will have any problem Ron

Back