Hornady V-max vs. A-max

Vogelsong

Anyone know the differance between the two?

I can't find anything on their website explaining this.

Next to the A-max bullets there is no "more info" link to tell ya.

Like you have next to the V-max bullets.

If someone knows I'd appreciate it.

Rick

as far as i know thr v max are varmint bullets hence the V and the a max are target bullets as in accuracy max, the a max have a slightly thicker jacket as well so dont fragment as well as the v max.

I some A Maxs. The only difference is the boat tail that I can see. The box also says twist rate 1- 14

Hornady Bullet Guide (cut and paste from Hornady.com)

V-MAX™ and Traditional Varmint - Rapid, explosive expansion.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 4000+ fps

InterBond™ - Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3600 fps

SST® (Super Shock Tip) - Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps

Traditional Hunting InterLock™ (RN, SP, SP-RP, FP, HP) - Controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps

FTX™ (available only in factory loaded ammunition) - Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: Handgun 800 to 2100 fps and Rifle 1800 to 3000 fps.

DGX™ Dangerous Game eXpanding - Deep penetration with highly controlled expansion.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 1700 to 3000+ fps

DGS™ Dangerous Game Solid - Deepest penetration with NO expansion.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 1700 to 3000+fps

FMJ (rifle and handgun) - No expansion, deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: N/A

XTP™ - Controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 700 to 1500 fps

XTP MAG™ - Controlled expansion with deep penetration at higher velocities than the original XTP.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 1200 to 2300 fps

FPB™ and SST-ML w/ Flex-Tip® technology - Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 800 to 2300 fps

A-MAX™ and BTHP Match - Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting medium and large game.

Quote:
The 52gr a maxes have a better B.C. than the 60gr v maxes, so they are better for long range shooting and resist wind better.

The 52gr A-max has a BC of 0.148
The 60gr V-max has a BC of 0.171

??

^^^^LOL. Those pesky numbers.

I've never played with the 52 A-max but the .224" 75 A-max has came apart very quickly on the critters that I've poked them into, which has been from woodchuck's to whitetails. Here awhile back I tried poking one into a sand bank at 700yds just to see if I could recover more than just fragments. No dice, It penetrated just a few inches and all I could recover was small fragments. I really do like that little bullet.

Quote:

I've never played with the 52 A-max but the .224" 75 A-max has came apart very quickly on the critters that I've poked them into, which has been from woodchuck's to whitetails. Here awhile back I tried poking one into a sand bank at 700yds just to see if I could recover more than just fragments. No dice, It penetrated just a few inches and all I could recover was small fragments. I really do like that little bullet.

... yeah, and they always have a way of coming back and biting you in the butt.

I have shot the 75 A-Maxs at paper, but never at critters - but I have heard some guys say they open fast, and other guys say they icepick on through - have you whacked many chucks with them? Are they reliable?

Shot around 3-4 dozen with them if I were forced to guess. I'd rate them as reliable, I've never had them just pencil through, but my sample of critters shot is relatively small. I've had quite a few not even exit on 'chucks. I will also say that when my brother and I are shooting 'chucks anything inside 200yards gets a pass and we save them for another day.

Here's a couple pics of some of the exits I photographed with the 75's.

This one looks pretty bloody, but the exit was about the size of a golf ball and was shot at just over 200yds.

100_1143.jpg

This one was at ~350yds and the exit was quarter sized, give or take.

100_2636.jpg

This one was at 225yds and was about the largest exit I've seen yet.

100_2588.jpg

Now I've also shot quite a few that have never even exited. The farthest was at 575yds and there was no exit.

Another caveat is that the last large lot of 75 A-max's I purchased (which I started running last winter) were "Blems" from Midway which I've used for the past year, before that I was only running first run A-max's and I HAVE seen more exit's with the Blems than I ever seen previously. I don't know if the blems have varying jacket thickness, but I also had an exit with one on a whitetail doe this season....the shot was 200-250yds and that bullet entered behind the near shoulder and exited on the off shoulder. I'd have NEVER expected that and have shot more whitetails in the past with first run 75's and the results were much different. The only thing is that I just can't rule out the fact that I'm running the "blems" at the moment.

I developed some loads with the 162gr A-Max in my 7mmRM. The accuracy was superb, but they are SUPER messy on whitetails. I only use them now when doe hunting and from the results, my hunting partner named my gun "the De-beaker" because he says it takes their beaks clean off.

-BANDIT

Quote:
Shot around 3-4 dozen with them if I were forced to guess. I'd rate them as reliable, I've never had them just pencil through, but my sample of critters shot is relatively small. I've had quite a few not even exit on 'chucks. I will also say that when my brother and I are shooting 'chucks anything inside 200yards gets a pass and we save them for another day.

Here's a couple pics of some of the exits I photographed with the 75's.

Were you using a 223 or something larger.

Mine are shot in a 9" twist 223 Win HBV, and they look good on paper.

I love the way they group. Hate the way they 'copper' up barrels. Both .224 and .308.

I have not performed any hot lead injections on game with any though.

I had read earlier in older Hornady manuals that they were OK for thin-skinned game. Hornady has changed that statement now. Maybe based on field reports??? Don't care on yotes but I hate picking lead out of venison.

Quote:

So if Berger made a .224 52grain VLD would this bullet be it's direct competitor?

Thats basically what I'm looking for in my coyote load.

Rick

Quote:
Quote:

So if Berger made a .224 52grain VLD would this bullet be it's direct competitor?

That's basically what I'm looking for in my coyote load.

Rick

The problem is that in order to be a VLD, the bullet has to have some more length and a much longer ogive, and there isn't enuff "stuff" in a 52 grain 224 bullet to make it long enuff. The 52 A-Max is not a VLD, and it is about as long as it gets for 52 grains - much longer (at 0.800") that the Berger (at 0.719").

In fact, the 52 A-Max is the longest 52 grain .224 bullet made by anybody.

Back