RRA .458 Socom double

guess

I've never owned a Black Rifle, but always wanted one I could hunt big game with. I have a new neighbor, well almost he lives 10 miles up the road and he's not much of a neighbor but I guess he'll do. Some of you may know him. His name is Todd something or other. Anyway he has this Rock River Arms .458 Socom that he's never shot so we sighted it in on Wednesday with a spotlight. Well Todd being the nice guy he is told me to go break it in, so Friday after working all day I headed for the woods at about 5:15 pm. There has been non stop high winds for about a week and the critters have been hid out, well the wind was calm and I hadn't gone 10 yards from the truck when I spotted 7 does being chased by a small buck. I headed on into the woods where I planned to hunt hogs and I spotted more deer. If I was deer hunting I wouldn't be seeing anything but hogs! I walked on rats were everywhere making all kinds of noise I had to stop every five seconds to decide if I was hearing a hog moving or dang rats! I hadn't gone far when I spotted a big black hog. I froze trying to decide if I could get closer, the brush was thick and I wanted a good broadside shot to test the performance of the .458, I moved a couple more feet when a bunch of rats scattered. The hog threw her head in the air and looked my way; she took a few steps in my direction and bristled up from head to tail. All I had was a hard quartering towards me shot, but she was either fixin' to run me over or leave. I decided to take the shot. I steadied the Socom on my Bog Pod and took the shot! The bullet struck her on the point of the shoulder and down she went, hard! It was a 65 yard shot and she never knew what hit her.
I headed back to the truck to get my camera and guess what I saw, another dang deer standing behind a small bush. Well it just wasn't her day! I centered the crosshairs right behind her shoulder, took out the slack and let a .458 fly she traveled a whole 2 feet straight down! It was a 94 yard shot. To say I'm pleased with the performance of the .458 Socom from Rock River would be an understatement! I got a complete pass through on the doe and the devastation on the 220 pound hog was unbelievable. Maybe Todd will let me use it to finish my deer season. HINT HINT!
normal_Doe__458_SOCOM_12-5-08.jpg

normal_Glenn_Guess__458_SOCOM_RRA__12-5-08.jpg

normal_Glenn_Guess__458_SOCOM_RRA_1_12-5-08.jpg

normal_hog__458_SOCOM.jpg

Personally I think that's pretty darn cool and I think it would be a total kick in the butt to whack a pig with that set up! Congrats man!

Somehow, I see an AR in your future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
That's a pretty handy weapon for the kind of hunting you do.

We've only shot it out to 100 yards but I'm confident that 150 is very doable. At $50 for 20 rounds we wont be doing much target shooting!

In my opinion it's easily a 200 yard gun. Beyond that it'll be difficult to compensate for drop accurately. Accuracy is not an issue.

My first two does with my .458. Now that I think about it, these were a double. They showed up together and were shot within about 15-20 seconds of each other.

Pic

Pic

I shot two more this year with it. No complaints from the does.

(Isn't it time PM did away with the picture size limits???)

I've got a .50 Beowulf that I use for hogs and I use a 4-12X scope if I'm in a stand or switch out the scope for a holographic sight if I'm walking. Never shot anything that didn't drop right there with one shot. I believe both calibers are about 200 yard max. Only way to shoot is to reload. I think my brass is a bit cheaper than the .458.

Jeff

Quote:
(Isn't it time PM did away with the picture size limits???)

Not when they cause you to have to scroll from side to side to see the whole picture.

For example:

Don't you find it annoying to have to scroll to read the text when someone stretches the screen with picture that is way to big?

Last edited:
Guess,
I've been living on two boxes of Wagner Accuswage for the last two seasons. They WERE selling it for ~$28/20. Last I heard Cheaper Than Dirt had bought all of it and Wagner was no longer selling to the public. CTD being who they are, they want $50/box.

Aside from that, I have dies and have been tinkering with reloading.

Aside from reloading, Midway carries Corbon and SBR .458 ammo if you can catch them in stock.

I'm hoping to get to Texas sometime this winter and kill a hog or two myself.

Yellowhammer,
Two suggestions, first increase the picture size limit to 800x800 or so, since I doubt many people are running very low resolutions anymore (you could also completely remove the vertical size limit). Second, I've seen several boards that only shift the size of the individual post if someone goes way too large with a photo, might consider that.

Quote:
JIM T where are you getting your ammo?

I am having trouble finding any.

Not everyone has DSL or high speed, so smaller pictures work better for some.

How hard is it to resize (especially since photobucket and other will do it automatically at upload)?

I resize everything. But I don't live by the PM photo size rules and I don't use photobucket.

Quote:
Not everyone has DSL or high speed, so smaller pictures work better for some.

How hard is it to resize (especially since photobucket and other will do it automatically at upload)?

Back