Blooded the R-15

BoomSplat

I got a chance to take out my new R-15 today. I picked it up last weekend at Cabela's and got the optics mounted and sighted it in this week. It's has the 22" barrel and is chambered in 223. I haven't had time to work up any loads for it yet, but the loads I use for my Bushy Varminter have shown promise as it grouped them about an inch or less.

My sweetie had told me she had seen a coyote cross the road in front of her on several occasions while on her way to and from work recently so I called my friend Mitch to see if he wanted to go out for a couple of hours this afternoon. He told me he would be ready when I got there.

The spot is only a couple of miles from the house so it didn't take long to get there and set up. I hung the Scorpion in a sagebrush about 50 yards in front of us and played about a minute of Lightning Jack and a flock of magpies comes swooping in. I muted the caller for about a minute to let the birds disperse some and hit the sound again and this little guy shows up at about 50 or 60 yards out. The 52 grain hollow point did the job as it always does. I went back to the truck to get the camera for a couple of glory shots and we were on our way to the next stand. Hope you like the pics. After retrieving the coyote and getting the camera for the pics, I forgot the caller and left it hanging in the sagebrush. I realized this when we got to the next stand and no caller, crap!!! Guess it was just a little warning as to how the rest of the afternoon was going to turn out. After recovering the caller the rest of the stands turned out dry and it was time to head home.

DSC00202.jpg

Me with the first kill of my R-15

DSC00201.jpg

My friend Mitch sharing in my success

Awesome!! Congrats on the dog!! Looks like the Scorpion is working out for you. I haven't left a caller yet but I did leave a bottle of coyote pee one day on a stand when I was hunting with Jimanaz. I didn't go back for it though.

At least you weren't skunked. I try to carry a hand call in my pocket all the time when out so if I do what you did or the batteries die, I can still hunt the spot. Nice pictures and nice rifle. Great that your wife scouts for you too.

Great job. I love those kind of "I keep seeing a coyote in this one area" stories. A farmer here told me a while back he kept seeing one in the orange grove by his house trying to get his turkeys. I decided to go out there and stop before work and just like you, bam, and it was over for that dog.

That's funny about the call being left behind. I think I have done that once!!!!

Great job. I love those kind of "I keep seeing a coyote in this one area" stories. A farmer here told me a while back he kept seeing one in the orange grove by his house trying to get his turkeys. I decided to go out there and stop before work and just like you, bam, and it was over for that dog.

That's funny about the call being left behind. I think I have done that once!!!!

Nice yote, good story. Somebody at Foxpro should have warned you about the Scorpion. If you leave it hanging in a bush, it gets offended, and won't call anything in for the next couple of stands (lol)

What do ya have mounted on it? Leupold 2X7?

Edit: I'm just curious because I still haven't decided what to put on my R-15.

Last edited:
nice job like the story.
I've got hand calls left on almost every hill around Casper
a few clips too.
some day I'll be able to leave my call in the truck and just pick one up on the way to the stand.

Thanks for the favorable comments guys, I'm pretty pleased with the rifle so far. 4949 I mounted a VXIII 4.5X14X40 LR with the varmint reticle on it. Sly, I couldn't be happier with the Scorpion. It's perfect, fits in cargo pocket of my pants (at least when I remember to put it there), LOL.
Thanks Steve, I'll send you a PM. By the way I finally called in my first bobcat last weekend with the Scorpion. To bad Idaho's season doesn't open for another week. 60 yards in the open, what a temptation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif!!!

Congrats on breaking in the new rifle... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Leave your scorpion hanging in the bush...No worse than loosing your $300 cell phone on a stand, then having to back track your last 3 stands the following day to find it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back