Trapping Questions? Playing it safe?

How do you guys make sure a person does not step into your traps?

Have you ever trapped someone dog or a deer, or elk etc...?

Whats the worst thing thats happened to you in a trapping experience?

I'm in no way against trapping btw I just want to ask some questions.

Last edited:
I have never caught a person or a pet in my traps. My brother caught a dog once, but it was nice enough to let him release it. The dog was a little brused on the leg but nothing to speak of.
If you take care in what you are doing you can avoid a bad deal like catching someones pet, or someone.

Quote:
you need to learn a lot more about trapping.....

do some research!

Sounds like what he was doing...learning and research?

I've been around trapping for more years then I'd like to admit....and I learn something new everytime I go out. Guess some already know everything and are trying to keep it a secret /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you trap inside city limits, you will eventually make a non-target catch. Get yourself a catchpole(the same type that the animal control people use) to release the animal.
As far as catching a person....well, unless your using a #15 I don't think it's going to be a problem. If someone steps into your trap, they will mostly likely just pull right on out. But one thing you must asking yourself if this happens: Why did they go out of the way to step in it? We don't generally set foothold traps in pathways....

Scott (21st Century, time to share knowledge) B

Quote:
How do you guys make sure a person does not step into your traps?

Have you ever trapped someone dog or a deer, or elk etc...?

Whats the worst thing thats happened to you in a trapping experience?

I'm in no way against trapping btw I just want to ask some questions.

I really don't believe you have any interest in trapping. Judging by your questions, you seem to be just fishing for anything negative connected to it. I ain't biting.

Randy

NO NO NO, I actually would like to start trapping, but I just have no idea at all about predator hunting or trapping! So far i'm a deer hunter, elk hunter and bird hunter...

But I just never knew if you had do do things by the law and put signs up or anything?

Like once I was walking on a trail and without seeing it I almost stepped into someones leg trap, it probably would've just torn the bottom of my shoe up, but I just am trying to learn.

Oregon, I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing as RShaw.
The best way to start learning about trapping is to get out with a trapper and run his traps. You will learn more by seeing and doing than you ever can on a .com board. Once you have a little experience, then you can go to the boards and get some good info on specific questions.

Go to your state trapping association, they could help steer you in the right direction.

Maintain

The trap would not have even made a mark on your boot. People think that traps cut off legs and break fingers and such, it's just not true. I've caught my fingers many times and I'll admit, it hurts a bit. But that is it. If you step in someones leghold trap it will just snap harmlessly under your boot. Unless bear traps with over 10 inches of jaw spread are legal to use on land in Oregon. I highly doubt it, but I don't know for sure. In WV, you can't have a trap on land with more than a 6 inch jaw spread. Nobody can get their foot in there, and if they did, it wouldn't cause any harm.
I've caught numerous pets, they are fine. I've caught my own pets many times, not even a limp. The trap will close on the animals foot and hold it there.
As far as signs, I have used them in areas I know the rabbit hunters are out in force. Again, my traps will not hurt their dogs but can be an inconveniance for someone who does not know how to open the trap. So I put out a sign so that they can hunt somewhere else if they are worried about it.
Make sure you study alot prior to setting traps. You are a long long way from being ready to put steel in the woods. I don't mean this in a bad way, I'm being serious. Learn all the regulations, go with an experienced trapper, buy some videos, search the archives. Knowledge is key

Last edited:
Back