good all around trap?

redneck88

whats a good all around trap for coons,foxes and bobcats,and whats a good way to bait them,im new to setting traps so all tips and tricks would be appreciated

I prefer a snare. But if you are talking foot hold. then I would say a good #3. Some people use a #2 on them but I just don't trust it to bust the dirt and hold, especially if it is freezing out.
I am no master of the cat but fox seem to like the gopher hole.
1. dig a hole at about a 45 angle. 6 inches deep.
2. Make a dirt mound in front of the hole and place your trap about 12 inches in front of the hole in the mound.
3. drop a ball of stinking meat in the hole. "rotten is good"

If this is a voting thing....

#1.65 Bridger, haven't found anything that this trap won't catch....

Anything larger normally breaks coyotes leg bones, smashes coon and fox, allowing chew-offs. Dirthole set would be the best way to use this foothold trap...bobcats are completely different here(they like hanging food).

Scott (they make a lot of trap types) B

I use size #1.75 and #2 double coil spring traps. Add some jaw laminations and you will not have issues with leg damage. I've held bobcats over 30lbs and released housecats unharmed with these traps.
As far as sets, I use flat sets and dirtholes. I set high traffic areas such as logging road intersections, field edges etc. My flat sets normally have a visual attractor such as a rock, log, etc. I bait them with gland lure and urine. Dirthole sets, similiar to bushdog, I use fresh or slightly tainted meat with lure and sometimes urine. Good luck

they sell traps here in town at a store,they have jaws but the edges are smooth and they have the little round plates in the middle,are these the ones yall are talking about?how do you set a snare trap also?thanks

Yep. 1.65 Bridger. The 4 coiled is even better. I have 3 dozen for a reason. I have caught piles of the critters you mentioned, and a bunch of coyotes in them too. I have heard a lot of mixed reports on the 1.5. I think they got some bad batches of springs.

Matt N. I put out quite a few so far no problems, would you let me know what problems they are experiencing so that I can keep an eye out for them, or correct them in advance. Thanks in adavance.

duke 1.75 is a good all around trap...

i've caught coon/cat/yote in them.......

my son has some 1.65 bridgers that i really am starting to like as well

Back