450 Bushmaster

claimbuster

Anybody shooting and reloading the 450 Bushmaster?

My 450 20" rifle will get here next week. Timney trigger is on order, Burris tactical rings are coming. Not sure what scope I'll put on it. My plan is for it to be a 50-150 yd. pig rifle so I think a 3-9 would work.

Got a set of Hornady dies and found 400 pcs. of nice once fired brass. Of course the Hornady 250gr. Flex-Tip bullet isn't available yet so I'm going to try the Hornady XTP's.

Get this all put together then I guess I'll have to go to Texas (Glenn, did you get that hint?)

Having fun with this one.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hear ya brother I hear ya! I just started shooting a .458 SOCOM from Rock River. I LIKE IT! I tried working with Bushmaster and all I got was empty promises. OH by the way we are at 66 hogs this season.

Perhaps if you're shooting pigs, a variable power scope with a lower magnification might be a good idea. Gives you a larger field of view and might help in dense brush. Just a thought.

Otherwise, go get some pork!!! Don

Last edited:
Nice MI buck SH son!!! I've been trying to decide on the 450 or a 6.8 upper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif RR

Quote:
Perhaps if you're shooting pigs, a variable power scope with a lower magnification might be a good idea. Gives you a larger field of view and might help in dense brush. Just a thought.

Otherwise, go get some pork!!! Don

I'm listening! Burris makes their Signature Select in 1.5-6X40. A better choice for pigs?

Remember guys this is a PD shooter here who considers a 4.5-14X50 a really "low power" scope.

Tell us about the recoil factor.

Is it indeed "about like a 20ga shotgun" ?

And I'd get Glenn's recommendations about what scope power to use....as you know, he's got a little experience in the pig department. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*** Is it indeed "about like a 20ga shotgun" ?***

Yes, I shot it offhand and it's slower recoil push back. Very manageable. I know what my next build is going be.

Around here most shots are under 100yds, with most under 50yds, but I would be confident out to 200yds. The 45-70 is one of the best bush calibers for deer around here. I told my son, the best scope power for the 450 Thumper would be 1.5-6X around here anyway. He's has a 3x9 power on it now.
He shot the buck after trailing for 2 1/2 hrs. He shot it when it jumped from it's bed in a stand of spruce trees. The shot took the spine out, it was broke and offset by 2".
It went down right there.

I use 2x7-33 leupold on most of my hog guns. I leave them set on 4 power, never had a problem in thick dark brush.
I would also recommend the an EOTech halo sight.

RRA .458 SOCOM doesn't kick much at all I would like a 20 ga. is accurate. Just a push not so much a kick.
My 12 ga. slug gun on the other hand will make you walk funny!

Quote:
*** Is it indeed "about like a 20ga shotgun" ?***

Yes, I shot it offhand and it's slower recoil push back. Very manageable. I know what my next build is going be.

Around here most shots are under 100yds, with most under 50yds, but I would be confident out to 200yds. The 45-70 is one of the best bush calibers for deer around here. I told my son, the best scope power for the 450 Thumper would be 1.5-6X around here anyway. He's has a 3x9 power on it now.
He shot the buck after trailing for 2 1/2 hrs. He shot it when it jumped from it's bed in a stand of spruce trees. The shot took the spine out, it was broke and offset by 2".
It went down right there.

Hey Susi, by your location, I guess I was born in the "south" as in Rhinelander, WI. As a young guy I used to listen to my g-pa (Fay) gripe about the 45-70 and its poor killing power on deer. But he raved about the 45-90. Of course we are talking about black powder days. When Winchester released its Japanese replica M1886 lever action in 45-90 I had to have one, if for no other reason to remember old Fay. Don't shoot it much; however, its going pig hunting in the spring. A 405 gr. .458 bullet at 1900fps should be OK on a pig, don't you think.

Thanks for the advice on scopes for the "Thumper". I would think it would be a great deer rifle in the north woods.

BTW, I don't miss those WI winters.

OK, I just ordered a Burris Signature Select 1.5-6X40 from one of our sponsors, Optic Zone. After they busted their buns to help me out a few months ago I promised I would never buy a scope from anyone other. Good to that promise.....

Glenn, between the pigs and the crappies, I think you are in cahoots with my wife to convince me that we want to retire to TX.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Thumper" indeed, as Jeff Cooper named the concept in "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth"! Maybe some of our Spec Ops troopers might like it.

Back