Shotgun Damage?

dk223

I live in Michigan, at night we have 2 options rimfire or shotgun. I have a double barrel Stevens that patterns very nice out to 40 yards with turkey loads, what happens if I get a close shot? Its either that the 22lr, 22 Mag, or the 17hmr.

I know the 12 gauge would be more effective at night where my shots are going to be close but how bad is it going to ruin the fur? 2 3/4" 4x6 Duplex turkey loads is probably what I would use, critters would be coyote and fox.

Last edited:
How do you define a "very nice" pattern? 4X6 Turkey loads work pretty good on Coyotes through a full choke usually Don't know about Fox though.

I use 3.5" #4 shot out of my 10 guage and have yet to have any fur damage except maybe a little around the ankles when more than a couple bb's hit there. Put the bead between the eyes and get ready to do some skinning. You'll find some pellet holes while your skinning but nothing that would degrade the fur. Just be carefull when your fleshing the critters because a pellet stuck under some fat can cause your fleshing knife to cut a nice hole in the pelt. That being said I've never shot a critter closer than 7-8 yards with my 10, but if their closer than that you might as well just club 'em over the head and save your shell. If your gun patterns decently at 40 yards I would consider between 40-50 yards about your max range for fox with that load. Coyotes on the other hand are a little tougher to knock down. Using a 4x6 load I would limit my shots to around 30-35 yards or less. You could always step up to a larger shot size and still not do much pelt damage to a fox, albeit I cant speak from personal experiance because the largest I have used is #2 shot but #4 buckshot has been a very popular load for both critters for a long time.

I wouldnt feel bad about pulling the full choke barrel on a 35 yard turkey with that load and rarely miss clays with it and #6 shot at long distance.

I also have a Mossberg 500 that is a 3" gun, I shoot goose loads, BB Steel Magnums, that might work better? I wasnt thinkin a head shot I was thinking a broadside shot.

Back