.308 cal 110 gr V-Max

southarkrob

I am putting together a 300 whisper contender carbine for my 7 year old niece to hunt with and I picked up a box of 110 grain V-maxs, I know this is a varmint bullet but my thinking was that they would hold up better under the slower velocity of the 300 whisper....am I wrong on this?? i am wanting to use these on deer. I was wanting some Nosler 125 ballistic tips but couldn't find any. Looking for somebody that has shot these before....thanks Robbie

Boy that's a tough question. I've no experience with the 110 V-max's at those low velocities, but have shot a bunch out of the 308 at coyotes and ground squirrels.

My best thought is even at lower velocities it's a really thin skinned varmint bullet. I'd probably consider something a little more heavily constructed it I could obtain it. Perhaps even a cast gas checked bullet might be better, they kill very well at the velocities your talking about with the Whisper.

I'd try some of the 115 or 135 grainers available here. Even shot up to 30-30 velocities they perform well on deer.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

My regular Varmint load is a Hornady 110 grain VMax on Norma 210 powder with 308 Federal Match Brass and Fed primers.
I don't know if the bullet would stand up better at slower velocity or not. I'm not sure how much my round slows at 400 yards but the VMax still performs well (explosive expansion) I don't get an exit on Coyotes 100-400 yards. For closer range I use an AR while calling. The 308 is for shooting over baits on a couple of frozen ponds. I haven't shot over 400 with the 110 gr.

I'd say try a few rounds and set up 3-4 one gallon milk jugs and see how much penetration you get at 50 and 100 yards with the 110 VMax fired subsonic.

Please report back with your testing results.

Sierra makes a 308 110gr spitzer that may be just the ticket for that chambering and the application. I use them for reduced loads in my wife's 308 Savage. Should more than do the job on a whitetail.

Thanks guys.... will let you know what I come up with. I got to looking in the reloading room and found some 130 grain single shot pistol bullets and will probably use those on deer and save the 110's for coyotes.

I am going to order some 125 BT's first chance i get... deer season is about over and gonna start coyote hunting...I plan on giving the 110's a try then.

southarkrob, I have not shot the 110g v-max at a deer with the 300 whisper but have killed alot of coyotes with the 300whisper with 110g v-max bullets. I think you would be better off with the Hornady 130g SP Pistol interlock bullet.It was made for deer hunting with the 30-30 contender pistol which is around the same velocity.

Here is a frame grab of a coyote shot with the 110g v-max this is the entrance the exits are around 1 to 2 inches. I have some more pic's I can PM you that are to graphic to post here.

Whisperhole1.jpg

If the 110g v-max blows up this easily on a coyote I would think it would explode even more on a deer with no penetration. I did see a guy at the range one day with some loaded in a 300 win mag. I ask him what he did with them and he said he was going deer hunting with them. He proceeded to tell me how fast they were and he should be able to kill deer out to 1000 yards with that load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I HAVE USED THE 110GR V-MAX OUT OF MY 30-30 AT 2000FPS AND SHOT TWO DEER. FIRST RAN 45 YDS ON A DRUNK RUN AND DIED(10 SEC)THIS WAS A LUNG SHOT. NO EXIT.

THE SECOND WAS A 200+ POND 8POINT AND I HIT UPPER SHOLDER.

DROPED IN HI TRAX.

ALSO NO EXIT

GREAT BULLET FOR INTURNAL DAMAGE WITH LOW FPS..

Thanks guys..please pm the pics...would like to see that..I have some 130 hornady pistol bullets that I forgot I had..what kind of whisper are you shooting?? I have always wanted to have one of these...thanks again..Robbie

Back