Newbie had his first time out and now has a few questions...

JDReno

Alright, well, I guess this is kinda my introduction. I'm Jesse, I live in Reno Nevada. Just getting started in predator hunting, with a focus on coyotes for now. Yesterday I headed out at sunrise for my first time, and while out there I came up with a few questions for the experienced ones.
Found a great area that is about a square mile of grassland(which is rare up this way), that is bordered on three sides by the base of some hills that work their way up into mountains. Dense sage brush about thigh high. I walked along the dirt road a ways out from the flat area and saw tons of coyote tracks and sign. So I knew I was in the right place.

Made my first stand on a little bump that let me look over a ton of land, mostly sagebrush, facing the northeast. Had my back to the hill and a nice big clump of brush in front and behind me. Set my Johnny Stewart call about 40 yards down range started calling. Within about a minute I saw a dog 400 yards or so out, headed straight in towards me. So I let the call go for about 30 seconds, then took a minute break. Got back on it right as he was dipping down into a little gully about 250 yards out. I was following him through my scope and lost him when he went down. Only to disappear from there... Continued the routine for about 10 minutes thinking he was just circling around, and never saw him again.

Next stand about a quarter mile down the road facing the north and closer to the grassland area, no luck in 15 minute stand.

So I headed about a half mile down the road to get set up right on the edge of the grass that would give me a view of about 270 degrees of pretty flat grass and low some rolling hills. Right as I crested off the dirt road to head down I see a dog taking off about 50 yards in front of me headed across the flat. So I pull my gun off my shoulder, struggle to set up my shooting sticks, adjust the scope and start trying to track him down. By this time he's nearly 200 yards out and in some tall sagebrush, and I'm breathing heavily and a little unsteady from the rush... Needless to say, didn't get a shot off on him.
I set up about 50 yards away and called for 15 minutes, no luck...

Set up one last stand another two hundred yards down the road with no luck. By this time it was 9:30ish...

Cliff Notes: First time out, Four stands made, Two coyotes spotted, no shots taken...

At least I know I'm in the right area, and that there are coyotes around. While sitting out there contemplating if I was doing things right, I came up with some questions...

-What kind of distance should I put between stands?
--Is it wrong to only move 200 yards away if you're facing a different direction or over a little hill?

-If I do take a shot(and hit or miss), how far away do I need to get before I can set up another stand?
--Meaning, does taking one dog pretty much blow that area for the rest of the day?

-If a dog is coming in pretty hard is it okay to let the caller keep going?
--Only matters if I'm using the wireless call, when using the new eCaller I just built(see the thread in the electronic calls section of the forum) then I have no control over stopping it or volume cause I'm 50 yards away or whatever...

-What time do the dogs settle down for the day? or do they?
--It takes about an hour to get out and to my first stand of the morning all for a couple hours of hunting, so I'm wondering if I can stay out for more than two or three hours or if it's pointless more than a few hours after sunrise.

-Second part to the above question.
--Sunset is at about 4:30 these days up here, what time would be good to start hunting for an afternoon/evening hunt?

Things I did learn:
-Always be prepared, not having to set up your sticks or gun saves valuable time if you stumble across an animal... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
-Along with being prepared equipment wise, I found that it's best to walk slowly and calmly. Rather than hiking briskly and getting into a situation where you need to take a shot and can't control your breathing, walk everywhere as if you need to be ready to drop to a knee and stay steady...
-It's a rush! Pulling your crosshairs on a dog really gets the blood pumping and breathing sped up. Relax! Take your time...

I'm gonna head up again in the next few days and will get some pictures to go along with the narrative. And hopefully a picture of my first dog.

I take it that you are in open, desert country?...If so, you need to move a lot farther between stands. I move a half mile to a mile in open country.
That goes for whether you shoot or not...

Keep the caller going...he's coming in. Don't mess up a good thing. He may hesitate, trying to locate the sound & have second thoughts....Lower4 the volume, if that worries you.

Why'd you quit at 9:30? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

A lot of times, they are just getting warmed up by then.
Call on different stands until you are convinced they have stopped moving. Then eat a snack & try new locations until dark.

You did good calling up 2 coyotes the first time out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Most don't enjoy that kind of luck.

If I had to guess, you might play closer attention to the wind. Those coyotes coming in like that will often circle downwind & see what is up before coming in.
When you see them leaving after committing to coming in they...

1) Winded you

2) Sighted you, or saw you move

3) Sighted your vehicle

You are in their "Living Room".....they know when something's 'not right'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keep at it! Like I said, you did great for the first time out. Excellent, in fact.

Try & learn something from each stand, whether it's successful or not, you can be aware of what to do better next time.

Good Hunting, & post a pic of that first one killed!

Hope this helps some.

Barry

You got one to come in on your very first try...that's a good thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks guys!
And thank you Barry for taking the time to answer my questions and address my concerns.

It's pretty open country, but with some pretty big hills/mountains. I was hunting around the edges of a big valley near a alkali flat. So there are some definite hills, most that I either walked over or around were about 100ft in elevation difference. I was kind of working from the lows and highs of the little finger like draws that feed to the open floor. I'll try spreading my area a little more next time, and take some pictures of the country to get some pointers on where or how you'd approach it.

I guess the stopping at 9:30 thing comes from my only hunting experiences of hunting deer and the fact that they bed down before midday. Good to know it can be an all day thing!

I'm not sure what spooked the one coming in on me. I'm full head to toe covered in Mossy Oak Brush which matches the terrain I'm in perfectly, got the rifle and scope wrapped, was in the shade with my back to a rocky hill and avoided any quick movements. The car was about a mile away and way out of sight over some hills. I couldn't see even the faintest sign of wind at the time cause that was my initial reaction was that he got a whiff of me and figured the situation out. But I know it doesn't take much of a breeze, or any at all, to spread the human's scent.

Appreciate the input and look forward to sharing some success stories with you guys! This is a great forum, can't wait to soak it all in and become more involved!

Glad to have you & to offer some help when you need it...

Welcome to PM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Talk to Ken Walls. He use to work at Sportsmans Wearhouse. Not sure if he does or not any more. He goes by Yotehunter6 on here but doesn't post much.

JDReno,

I spot coyotes in central Iowa[open rolling cropland], little cover. I Have sat on the gravel roadways & watched these coyotes for many yrs, from a distance. To observe their behaviors & make plans to stalk in for the kill.

Most coyotes start hunting an hr or two before Sunset. Most coyotes are done hunting the next day, either
pre-Sunrise...or up until around 10-11am the following day. Then they will bed down, for most of the day. Sometimes, laying for a few hrs, then moving a little ways only to bed down again. Most will stay bedded, until an hr or so before Sunset again. Then back to hunting, samo...samo.

These bedding area's, are often in their "comfort" area/territory. Often within a mile or so of their old den site area.

When they are bedded/laying. "Any wind, will be at their backside" when they are bedded. Ie; they'll be facing downwind. This is very important to know. If you do not wish to be seen on the walk in to your stand.

Regardless, when they are bedded. They are always listening, they are very light sleepers. Coyotes have excellent hearing ability. Quickly able to pinpoint a noise from far away[especially in open country].

Some coyotes, will bed in low area's, whereas others will bed high, near the top area of a hill. Most coyotes, prefer a panoramic view of atleast 180 degrees.

Use the wind & any structure[hills, trees, brush, ect] to get you close to your call stand without, being seen or scented.

Be quite once you park your vehicle. Be quite on the walk in to your stand. Be watching your down wind as well.

JD I would have let the player run the full time. Who knows why he shyed away. I had a Coyote last weekend that was running real had right to left at about 500 yards he turned and started toward me coming just as hard and then I didn't see him anymore. I was in Sage about two and a half feet tall. Maybe he came in and I didn't see him who knows.

I would have went a bit further between calls especially if your calling into the same Valley or Draw Coyotes have incredible hearing.

Also becareful Hunting in the Reno area there is some no Fire zones and it would be a shame to lose your Rifle.

Camo is the Hunters choice as to how hidden they feel they should be. But I don't wear much and I call in a Coyote a min of 50% of the time. Here is a pic of me and my Camo it's all I wear. I shot the Coyote from about 50 to 75 yards behind me on that ridge.

063.jpg

Good luck and hope this helps some.

Thanks again guys.
Kirby, your advice and knowledge on the behavior of coyotes is much appreciated!
Trap, good to have some local advice! I'm planning on putting some good distance between my next stands. As far as area, the spot I was at is up north about 10 miles up outside of cold springs. I have a map that I got online of the "congested areas" where discharge of firearms is illegal and I'm in the clear. Good looking out though!

Are you really Stealthy? Was you quiet as possible going into the area? sage swiping your pants legs? steppin on sticks or rocks? (one thing I think about is if I can hear me, I'm being too loud) Was you seen going into the stand? try not to be seen from the area your intending to call, you get spotted and it's over befor you make your first sound. skylined? did you keep something behind you? topping a hill can skyline you making you very easy to see. In areas like mine and yours (I hunt the same type of terrain 80 miles from you) I go at least 1/2 mile between stands.

t/c223encore.

The Doctors would second what bbar had to say. Can't argue with anything in his answers. We call coyotes at all hours of daylight, so don't stop because of the time. One thing i would add is if you have a big flat surrounded by hills, call from the hills to increase your visibility. If you were on top of that 100 foot hill, that first coyote probably wouldn't have gotten out of sight and you would know exactly what went wrong.
Doc

I can't say I was that quiet. I mean, I was quieter than if I had just been out hiking, but I wasn't by any means silent... I definitely wasn't skylined, I made sure of that, stayed low and away from silhouetting myself. Oh well, lessons were learned so it wasn't a bust...

Quote:

You did good calling up 2 coyotes the first time out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Most don't enjoy that kind of luck.

I'd say...
It took mee 2 years before I conected on one!
www.gripdog.com/yote
Keep it up and you'll be on one in no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Mike

Alright, well I made it out yesterday before the sun came up to give it another go. It was cold(22degrees) and windy! Went back to the same spot that I called the first one it at that I mentioned above. Sat for 20 minutes with no luck with the wind right in my face before heading to a different location.

3097242844_08bb793645.jpg

Headed east to explore some new country... Is this looking like I'm in the right place? Should I bother working these little "meadows" or am I just imagining that it's better around them, when really I should be sticking to the sage brush?

3096402977_9f77fa6285.jpg

3096399837_abef8c1e39.jpg

3096402255_c293d78206.jpg

3097243026_8d4bc89903.jpg

Made a few stands at the above pictured spots but I have a feeling the wind was killing me, not only scent wise(I made sure to approach from down wind and look/call up wind or cross wind), but just as far as killing any sound from the caller...

After the sun is up, I would work the draws and cover near the meadows as well as the sage. Most coyotes will vacate the open areas for cover once the sun is up.

JD. You could try Sunrise Pass. Have called as many as 4 in at one time in that area (just south of the Carson River below Silver Springs). Seems to have been a very good year for them.

Good to have another Reno local on board. I just called in three for a photo session a couple of days ago. I went way out of Reno though several miles north of Gerlach in the Granite Range. Needed material for a new blog post (still in the works) and got loads of wildlife activity.

Areas around Reno (within 60 miles or so) are pretty well populated with humans and the coyotes are pretty smart about it. The advice I got from the crew at Cabelas was to get at least 100 miles out of town.

JD: Byron South will be in Reno this coming weekend at Cabela's, I think. There's a post on the board here about it. Can't get much better than Byron for a coyote hunting resource. Go pick his brain now that you've got some stands under your belt. He'll head you in the right direction.

MtnWolf, I'll keep that in mind during my efforts.
Thanks guys! I'll try getting further out of town next time. I've been staying pretty close in to town, so that makes sense. Some beautiful country up north of Gerlach, hunted that area a few years ago on my deer tag. High Rock Canyon and The Sheldon Range are a sight!

Back