I need a load for .204

Mousedipper

Guys,
I just bought a barrel for my contender. .204 Ruger, semi heavy, 23" Looks like about 1-13 twist.

Just want a good coyote load. Not looking for benchrest accuracy, I just want a load to start with and stick with.

I've got about 6thousand .223 rounds loaded with different powders, different primers, different bullets all different weights. Well guess what. They ALL shoot OK, but they all print different POI>

I don't want to get into that rut with the .204.

Dave

Dave,
I just picked up a contender G2 in .223 and love it. I had some problems with the hammer not hitting the primer hard enough and misfires. You ever have that problem with yours?

Your barrel is a 1-12 twist I believe, by the way.

I have doped an obscene amount of loads for three 204 rifles over the last year. I have more accurate loads for some of my rifles, but overall the 35 Berger with H4895 is a really good bet. P.S. I am using CCI BR4 primers.

Last edited:
I run 39gr Sierra BlitzKings in mine with a moderate load of Benchmark.

FWIW, neither of my rifles will shoot 40 VMaxs worth a crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But they like the 39gr Sierras. Go figure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Yea Dave,

I prefer about 28grs of H4895 under a 35gr Berger, and you should be good to go. BLC(2) shot very good also, it's better for throwing charges too.

Alliant 10X, Remington Cases, CCI BR-4 primers. 26.2 grains with 40 grain V-max,s, 26.6 grains with 32 grain V-max,s.

Five shots at 100 yards off sitdown shooting sticks, 40 grain V-max's.

targetstoday-20.jpg

R-P hulls
CCI BR4 primer
26.4 Benchmark (26.0-27.0 was all very accurate)
35 Berger

DSCN1941.jpg

R-P hulls
CCI BR4 primer
25.5 Ramshot TAC (25.5 - 26.5 was all very accurate)
40 Vmax

DSCN1375-1.jpg

Quote:
35 bergers are a top choice over H4895 or Benchmark.

Matt

+1 on the 35's w/ benchmark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back