bore guides for Lever Action

jdp3

My dad has two Browning BLR's one in 243, and one in 308. He rarely cleans them and I have offered to do so, and help keep them clean (as they will some day be mine). Is there a bore guide for these and is there a way to pop out the bolt like on a bolt action gun?? I also have a little pump action 22 that the only way it seems there is to clean it is to run the rod down starting at the muzzle. Im afraid of getting cleaning agents in the rest of the rifle with no way to remove or clean that without takin the gun apart and im not sufficient in that knowledge. Anything will help, thanks guys.

You don't want to be messing around with the bolt on the BLR unless you really know what you are doing. The timing of the gears in that mechanism is crucial to its reliability and pretty darned hard to correct if it gets messed up.

Clean from the muzzle using a one piece cleaning rod with a brass bore guide to protect the crown. Of course the lever will be opened and the bolt in the rearward position, the magazine out of the magazine well. Pushing a rod through will not dump gunk in your trigger mechanism. You will need to clean the chamber area after the bore is cleaned because it will have deposits in it from cleaning the bore. I use a flex neck short rod that can either access the chamber through the ejection port or up from the bottom of the mag well.

Buy yourself an OTIS rifle cleaning kit. It utilizes a plastic covered wire cable with a brush and loop style patch jag.

The cable is inserted through the chamber and pulled from the chamber through the barrel to the muzzle...They are a little slower that using a rod, but safer on your weapon..

I have one for my Ruger 10/22, my Browning Lever .22, and one for my ARs when I'm away from the house for a while..

Otis Website

Back