deaf

NyHunter08

ok, idk if this is the place for this question, but today i was shooting my rifle, and after 3 shots my left ear started ringing, and now my left ear has been ringing for 2 hours and i cant hear out of it, has this happened to anyone, and if so whatd you do for it?

I've had it happen before, the only cure is time, and hearing protection. Don't leave home without it. Even the little foamies are better than nothing. You probably haven't permanently damaged anything, then again, you might have. If this was a one time thing, you'll heal, but don't do it again.

Don't shoot without proper personal protective equipment! Eyes and ears are hard to replace. Sermon over.

yeah i started wearing muffs after the 1st time, 1 thing you can try is dont laugh hold your nose and try to blow hard it works sometimes Ron

Both of my ears have been ringing for more than 20 years. I don't hear so good...

- DAA

NyHunter- Wasn't trying to be a wise a$$. It just seems that is a word I seem to use alot. Either huh or what. I shoot every week-end and work in a noisy shop and even with ear protection, the years have got to me. I have constant ringing in my ears and my right ear has minor hearing loss. My rule of thumb is my ear muffs go with me everywhere and I keep a sack of ear plugs in the truck, ALWAYS. Not trying to preach, just protect what you got, you only got one set.

Pyscodog

Any time you shoot a centerfire weapon without ear protection your doing some permenant damage to your hearing. Listen to pyscodog he's giving you good advice.

Quote:
I have constant ringing in my ears and my right ear has minor hearing loss. My rule of thumb is my ear muffs go with me everywhere and I keep a sack of ear plugs in the truck, ALWAYS. Not trying to preach, just protect what you got, you only got one set.

DITTO to every word. Our stove has a high pitched timer alarm on it, and it's in that range that my ears ring at. My wife was shocked to find out that I could not hear the stove timer alarm, unless I'm standing at the stove. Constant ringing ears suck. Trust me. Hearing protection man, safe'em before it's too late!!

Quote:
...My wife was shocked to find out that I could not hear the stove timer alarm, unless I'm standing at the stove...

Reminds me of back when I was first realizing that I had significant hearing loss from shooting. I was working in a plant with two big boilers and live steam plumbed through the whole building. The boilers had alarms on them to warn of high or low pressure, temp etc. About once every two weeks, the guys I was working with would all stop what they were doing and look up and say "boiler alarm!". We worked on the other end of the plant from the boiler room. It wasn't until I had worked there for two years and happened to be right next to the boiler room when an alarm went off that "I" finally heard the dang thing! And this was an old fashioned mechanical bell ringer... Modern "electronic" sounding alarms like from watches and small alarm clocks, I can't hear them even when they are pressed to my ear. Which reminds me of another story from work where my not hearing my own watch alarm going off at the same time every day for five years was a running joke that everyone but me was in on...

- DAA

OK....I hear locusts......at least thats what it sounds like to me. Doc said not bad enough for hearing aids .......but pretty bad.

Pop

Quote:
OK....I hear locusts......at least thats what it sounds like to me. Doc said not bad enough for hearing aids .......but pretty bad.

Pop

YES! That is exactly what I hear! I can hardly stand to be a totally quiet room because those freaking locust drive me nuts! I have to keep a small fan running beside my bed at night to drown them out. Even then I can still hear them.

I sure wish I would have been smart enough to wear hearing protection when I was younger. I am not at the hearing aid level yet, but I am getting there fast.

Thank God for closed captioning that's all I can say.

About 30 yrs ago, my buddy and I were (young and dumb) out shooting our .357s. His wife happened to walk between us as we fired at the same time. Her ears ring to this day. I've worn hearing protection every time I've target shot since then. I shoot at least 4 days a month and my hearing is still very good. There was a period of time that I wore muffs over plugs. Now, just some good silicone plugs.

Protect your eyes and ears!

tinnitus is what it is called (ringing in ears)
I have it and have had it since 1980
Its a beech.....I have a hearing aid in my left ear because of a hearing loss.....but the ringing is constant 24/7
hearing protection, NOW, so you don't end up like some of us less fortunate

Every single shot without hearing protection permanently deletes a percentage of your hearing. Even a 22LR rifle costs you hearing with every shot.

Jack

NyHunter08,
Sorry to say, but, damage is already done to your unprotected ear(s). Damage may be miminal but will worsen without protection.
After hunting and shooting for over 40 years,I now find it necessary to wear hearing aids. 60% loss in my left ear, 35% in my right ear. (Right handed)
Some hearing loss may be age related, and most ol' time hunter/shooters (befor hearing protection was a priority) are "hard of hearing".
Be prudent, protect your gift of Hearing.

John

Quote:
Every single shot without hearing protection permanently deletes a percentage of your hearing. Even a 22LR rifle costs you hearing with every shot.

Jack

Hearing loss is exactly that......Hearing LOSS! . You will not heal...and it will never be regained. For lack of a better analogy...your ear has a stand of bristles that resemble a group of bristles on a baby's hair brush. When hearing loss occurs it is due to this group of bristles no longer standing erect but actually fraying out and forming something of an upside down cone. When this happens they do not have the ability to stand back up and every increase in angle they lay down....you permanantly lose a percentage of hearing.

Don't play around, where protection! It's only a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

Chupa

DAA - if you're half deaf, I can only imagine that ferocious meat report with the .20-250!

NyHunter08- I'm one of the slow ones and just started wearing hearing protection at work and when shooting a couple years ago. I can't hear worth a crap when there are more than a few loud noises going on. I hear the loudest!

Back