44 mag rifle

WPH

I am looking for info on some 44mag rifle questions. First what is the recoil like and comparable to? Also are the ruger bolt and lever rifles strong, reliable, and accurate?

I don't know about the Ruger Lever guns, but the 77-44 is strong, reliable and accurate. Years ago I had one of Rugers 44 mag auto carbines and it was a very good gun. Killed a pile of deer with it. Can't tell you about the recoil, just that there's not much shooting this handgun round in a rifle, even a light rifle.

Recoil is minimal in any 44 Mag carbine I have had experiance with,(mostly Marlin) But I doubt it is any more in the Ruger, as far as well built the Rugers are built like tanks from the examples I have seen. BTW I have been useing 44 Mag carbines for over forty years, they are one of my favorite tools for deep brush

I have a Ruger 77/44 bolt. This is my second one and it shoots great for the first couple of shots but starts stringing the rest. The first one I bought was so bad I had the dealer to take it back. My son had this one I have now and he was going to sell it. It was not as bad as the one I took back.I saved it for my grandson to use because it is light weight and shoots ok. I guess the barrel heats up and the shots starts stringing after several consecitive shots.The rifle is light weight and great to stalk hunt with. The recoil is not bad and the great part of that is if you reload you can load to what you like.I don't think they make this rifle anymore so you might be able to find a used one.Good luck.

The Ruger bolts (77/44) are WAY more accurate than the Ruger lever action (96/44) rifles. The older Ruger 44 Carbines and Deerfield model autos were't bad shooters if you keep them clean.

I'd take a Marlin 1894 lever over any of the Rugers.

What does the recoil compare to. Also, how does the recoil compare to a 243. I plan on shooting around 250 grain bullets. I am being particular because I am looking for a lightweight light recoiling rifle to bring a kid up with and for my wife. Also what is the new and used cost of the Ruger bolt and lever rifles typically.

Recoil according to JBM calculations would be very comparable to a .243/85 grain bullet. Both guns being 8lbs, the .243 has 7.9 lbs of recoil and the 44 has 8.2 lbs.

We had a Ruger lever, it was plenty accurate for deer hunting.

My .44 Mag. Marlin Lever has very little recoil, certainly not as much as a .308.... Just keep in mind that the cartridge is really limited to about 100-125 yds for 'usable' accuracy...

I don't own any Ruger centerfires, so I can't help there.

I had a friend who had a marlin, i never shot so I can't say on recoil, but he said much less than my 30-06.

He hit a few deer out 10 100 yards, and the ones where he hit bone, like spine, you could stuff a couple beer cans into the exit hole.......seemed a great gun for brush-hunting

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. It's the pre cross safety model with a straight carbine stock. It came with a black plastic butt plate.
This rifle is the most inaccurate rifle I have ever owned. It has the micro-groove rifling with like a 36-1 twist. It keyholes 240 grain lead SWC bullets, and shoots 6 inch groups at 100 yards with 240 grain JSP Winchester ammo.
I finally figured out that I needed to load the largest diameter bullets I could find for this rifle. I settled on Hornady 240 grain XTP HP's. These are .431 diameter and seem to engage the Micro-Groove rifling better. It will usually shoot these bullets under 4 inches at 100 yards and under a couple at 50.
As far as recoil is concerned, this rifle was tearing me up with its plastic butt plate, when I was attempting to zero a red dot sight I'd put on it. I removed it, and installed a Limb Saver pad. I hardly notice the recoil now.
Ohh yea.. It kills deer dead, but I won't try it on one over 75 yards.

I have a Marlin 1894 p in 44, it is a 16.25" ported barrel rifle. The recoil at the bench when sighting in will leave you with your eyes watering and your nose dripping. I shoot 240-265g bullets with a receiver sight limited to 50 yds. Its not bad to shoot after the zero in, a great truck gun, street sweeper, close range rifle. I would not let my 10 yro grandson try it out, my x-wife maybe.
Jim

concur with all above, I have owned and still own numerous 44s, in rifles I still have a 44 Ruger Auto loader. They make trigger kits that I don't have, so the trigger blows. If the trigger was better the rifle would produce great groups. I only get 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards, but it is good enough to nail tuskers. I would imagine that the other 44m rifles, bolt or lever would do as good or better. I don't complain about the groups or the recoil. good hoice for big boned critters in thick brush. JHG

First off, do not expect MOA from a 44 mag. However, it does have its moments portraying the part of an excellent brush gun that hits like the Hammer of Thor w/a hot load coupled to a 225 or 240 gr projectile. Here is a 99% Ruger pre warning 44 mag that I have had forever. It will be my sons first rifle in a yr or 2.
PICT0196.jpg

I had a Ruger 96 lever gun in 44 Mag, and accuracy was fair at best. 2-3 inches at 50 yards. I'm a handloader and tried lots of bullet/powder combos.

Kick off the bench more than I thought it would be, especially with hot loaded 240 and 300 grainers.

I'm sure the Ruger 44 rifle has a purpose, but none that I could think of that most any centerfire rifle cartridge can do better. 44 Magnum works better in a handgun for me.

I'd go to plan "b" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I love my Winnie 94 in .44Mag. I get between 4-6" at a hundred yards, but I'm not looking to use it for those longer shots. I agree to keep it under 75yds if you can and you should do well enough to fill your freezer.

Back