This morning 2 down 1 saved..

yotekyllr

I hadn't been out callin in the last few days so I dropped the kiddo of at school and went to it.

I was heading to a particular hot spot that I called 5 in one stand last thursday. I figured I would make a couple stands on the way as it was about 10 miles from home.

48seconds into the 1st stand on my stop had a double come in and in turn I rewarded the dumber of the two with a Nosler product. Grabbed the dog and rolled out.

1min 18seconds into the stand at stop number 2 had a larger male come a runnin to greet Lightnin Jack and also was rewarded with a 55gr nosler.

DSCF4822.jpg

Stand number three (1 hr after leaving home) I was pumped and thought to myself if this keeps up I'll pound at it all day. I was havin fun.lol

Well, I set up and this time against a fence sitting in my calling chair to see over the sage. I was facing an area that ended in good river bottom land. I was confident another hungry furball would want to eat my scorpion.
3 1/2 minutes later once again a coyote came to the call (or so I thought) he ran right past the foxpro and me. I was in dismay buto I just watched as I have had that happen before with more coyotes following. Anyway, the target stopped about 75yds down the fence suddenly and I leved my crosshairs on him and he appeared to be growling with his hair standing up. Then he slit as fast as he arrived. I called for another few minutes w/ no takers.

When I packed up I decided to go over and see what the heck the coyote was upset about. What I found was a very domesticated female hound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif In a #2 bridger leghold coyote set. She was very friendly considering her situation but looked like she had been there for a few days.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

She was more than willing to allow me to release her leg from the trap. Her foot was double the size of normal and was bleeding with the tension now released. She followed me for 1/2 mile back to the truck where I gave her some gatorade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I opened the door and she wanted to go with.. So I said get in and she did. We drove to the two closest ranches and they didn't know her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif So I headed back to town and figured I would hit my hot spot another day. I took her to the shelter where they new exactly who she was and called the owner right there. She belonged to a family that had just built a 1/2 million dollar house about a mile from where I killed the 2nd coyote.

We said our goodbyes and I headed home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If you look close you can see her rear foot damage.

Has this ever happend to you in the middle of the desert?

DSCF4821.jpg

You did good yotekyllr for helping out that household pet, and am sure the owners are very appreciative also. Also it will more likely be good PR too with the HS group that a responsible hunter saved someones pet.

that was a very good thing you did, by not being afraid of getting bit by the dog in the trap, great job. They should put it in the paper LOCAL YOTE HUNTER SAVES DOG IN TRAP maybe this would open the eyes of the tree huggers and let them know we do have compassion for animals !

Great story. I love happy endings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I caught a domestic cat in a trap once. Figured it was going to eat me alive before I could release it, but it also was very calm. Somehow they know you're there to help I guess.

Thanks guys...

I think most would have done the same. A funny side note, the lady at the SPCA that knew the dog was very gracious it seemed. She asked why I let the dog ride up front in the truck with me instead of under the topper in the bed. I said, well the dog felt more comfortable in the cab, plus the bed of my truck has two dispatched coyotes in it. Her expression went from a smile to a scowl instantly.lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif She obviously must be an animal rights type and I didn't even think about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Oh, well can't win them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Great story!

I have a similar story... My son and I were camping in the Gila Wilderness a couple of years ago and we were about 25 miles from the nearest paved road and or any civilization. Around noon, we had just finished target practice when I sat down to read a book under a Alligator Juniper when all of a sudden a hound sat down next to me and about scared the daylights out of me. The dog stayed with us for three days and we both couldn't believe how obedient he was and thankful for the grub we shared with him. As it turned out, the dog belonged to an outfitter about 25 miles away. The dog had a persons name on it with a phone number but I was out of cell phone range. Long story short, I dropped the dog at a gas station close were the worker knew the owner. The dog had been lost about a week earlier and it showed (pretty emaciated). The owner called me the next week to thank me and said the dog was in training as a bear hound and got separated from the pack.

Way to go, I'll bet you felt great in more ways than one!

Excellent hunting success and even greater personal success and blessings to you for being kind to that dog. You were willing to take the time and risk to release it and to not only release it but embrace it and help it find its way home. These kind of accounts are warming to the heart and if my wife knew this, she would cry!!! Good job.

That was a very nice thing that you did. But as your hi fiving yourself. I'll bet you a Dollar to a Donut the owners of that dog turned into Anti Trappers now. They will not see the benefit of the Leg hold Trap which saved their Dog and will turn against the Trapper even though their dog was a mile from the yard.

Iv'e found a few dogs in the desert. It really makes my blood boil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
They never let me ever come close enough to help them.
The best I can ever do is leave a granola bar and some water I usualy carry and that's it.
I don't think these dogs are lost. I think more often than not they are left there on purpose.

Good going on both the hunt and releasing and caring for the dog. Sure makes you wonder why the trapper didn't find the dog if he was checking his trapline. Hopefully the good you did will offset some of the bad he did.

Ran into a couple of dropped off dogs a few weeks ago. No houses for miles and miles. Thought about shooting them just so they didn't have to die of thirst. They may find food out here but I seriously doubt they will find water.

Quote:
Sure makes you wonder why the trapper didn't find the dog if he was checking his trapline.

That is certainly a good point. This pooch was missing for at least three days as I was told..

Unfortunatly, here in NV the regs state that you must check your traps every 96hrs (4 days). I trap as well, targeting Bobcat. I only have 2 dozen sets out right now but I check them daily and rarely I don't get to them for 2 days. IMO...... 4 days is way to long to wait to check a line. But, thats the law and people are lazy. (if I offend someone so be it)

I was thinking of taking a coyote pelt and attach it to the trap with a note to the guy in the morning. Just to be an a-hole and make a point.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:
Good story Allen.

You & that dog look pretty good together,i'm surprised you didn't keep her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey save some of those coyote's i'm still trying to get down there.

Doesn't look like those Nosler's tore up those coyote's too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
You & that dog look pretty good together,i'm surprised you didn't keep her

Hey save some of those coyote's i'm still trying to get down there.

Doesn't look like those Nosler's tore up those coyote's too bad

Dave, Thats the lady at the SPCA.....Great.. now I look like a women, is that what your sayin..lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yeah, those are the 55 b-tips from the AR.. Much better on fur than Vmax IMO. Sofar get an exit about half the time, usually the size of a nickel or quarter worst case. I retrieved the jacketing intact from one dog last week that stop just under the fur on the offside..

Come on down. You can show me what you can do with the 17.

Out here in Oklahoma, most of the farmers or ranchers I have trapped on tell me to kill every dog I catch. I have caught dogs before that were collared and obviously someones pet and I always release those and get them to the owners but a stray or dog with no collar dies. They shouldn't be there anyway and can cause a lot of damage chasing cows. We are required by law here to check our traps once every 24 hours.

Yotekyllr,i'm sorry dude no you don't look like a woman.

I just saw the gray sweatshirt & jean's in the photo & didn't notice the feminine hand's.

My wife just looked @ the photo & well let's just say she think's i'm a dumb*** what's new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Glad to hear the Nosler's work with the 223 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nice looking pair. Almost look like a mirror image laying there. Congrats!! Good job on caring enough to take care of the dog at the expense of hunting.

Back