Length of calling?

farmcoyote

I got a PM4 Friday at Cabelas. It was on sale so I figured why not try e-calling. I tried it out yesterday morning with no luck, the wind was horrible tho so im not suprised. But it got me to thinking. How long do you guys let the call run? Do you just let it run until you switch stands or do you run it for a min. or so and then stop it for a bit? Thanks for any info.

I usually let it run non stop. 10 minutes and im moving on. Out of 20 coyotes called the week before Thanksgiving , all but 1 responded with in 8 minutes. Most before 6 minutes. 15 min is the max I will sit on stand.

My stand length is rarely over ten minutes, and never under eight minutes(unless Border Patrol rolls up into my stand like they often do). I start a low call run for about 2 minutes and then stop for a few. Then I ramp up and raise volume for another few minutes. I will do this a few times and will mix up a few different sounds if I think it is warranted.
I do not let the call run full volume and for the whole stand duration unless I am calling in intense wind. I do so cuz my calling distance is greatly reduced and I want to give any dog that is out there and that can barely hear my call an opportunity to hear it during those brief moments when the wind subsides for a moment before kicking up again. Works for me.

I generally call for 20 mins and then set quiet for 5. I typcially call with low to mid volume with a hand call for the first 2-3 mins, then switch over to the foxpro alternating between rabbit and pup distress with short stops in between, 30 seconds or so. Hope this helps.

Most of the time I just let it run, I stay on stand for 30 minutes and longer, takes that long to rest up for walk to next stand!!

Quote:
Most of the time I just let it run, I stay on stand for 30 minutes and longer, takes that long to rest up for walk to next stand!!

True dat! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thats a good question. As for me I won't let it run more than about 2min at a time then my breaks vary. One I just don't want to hear it much longer that. Two I will change sounds up along with volume. As far for time spent on a stand that changes too, if I know there's dogs there I will take my time. For me it's all about out smarting them not so much as killing them. With that said don't ask my son about killing them he want to kill all of them.

I do both , here is what to expect so you can choose what you want to see happen . Non stop calling = coyote comes in fast and does not have to use eyes and nose to find origin of sound = rodeo .
call a little then quiet = coyote has to search for origin of sound = coyote comes in slower and more cautious, sometimes useing ears, eyes, and nose . easier to kill in my oppinion .But harder to fool .
both have their place , it depends on what YOU want to happen , remember your the caller you should control the coyote not the coyote control you .

Non stop calling in heavy brush or in areas where you have dips and othere factors available to the coyote can become what i refer to as a rodeo . You lose control of the set . in open areas this is not a bad set up as you will be able to see the coyote coming in get it in your sights and stop it for the shot .
In tight cover or in areas where the lay of the land can be to the coyotes advantage you want to use call and silence technique . This is my oppinion and means nothing , Its just what i have done for a few years and works for me .

Back