nose busted from a scope?

Those 835s loaded with 3.5 kick like an angry mule. Shooting some patterns with it one day and after 10 rounds I literally felt like I had been in a fight! Man I was hurting in the shoulder and in the face!

All right guys, here's a scope mount question...where do you position your scopes when mounting them?

A lot of 'scope eye' problems come from mounting to far rearwards. Most scopes are set with their rear lense set 1.5" to 2" behind the rear of the trigger guard. This is usually fine for offhand shooting but when you get into a position like prone, steep forward lean sitting, etc. that requires your head to be more forward than it is when standing erect or even sitting at a bench, whammo!

It is not a bad idea to have your scope set so that the rear lense is as close to the rear of the trigger guard as you can get it. You may have to creep the stock a bit in offhand but you shouldn't get whacked even in prone.

Quote:
Is there a specific term for when a person gets too close to a scope and gets a bloody nose cut or even a broken nose?(besides "stupid" I mean). This happened to a friend shooting a ML and the kick actually busted his nose!

If you got hit with a Colt Python, Anaconda, or Diamondback you could say you got "snake bit". You could say it happened in a bar fight from the other guy's Super Bowl Ring. The possibilities are almost endless. Besides the scope cuts, black eyes, and facial bruses or mouses, and various eye injuries, there are black and blue shoulders that go with a poorly fitted, loosely held, hard kicking gun. I don't think it's "stupid", but it is a learning experience to say the least.

First rule is don't put a short eye-relief scope on a hard kicking gun. Second rule is hang on firmly with the butt pulled in tight to the shoulder. Third rule is to have the scope as far forward as you can and still maintain a full scope field viewable in the scope. Use a scope with a rubber eyepiece ring or install one. Have someone observe your eye position relative to the scope before you pull the trigger on that 600 Nitro Express. If all this fails, your back to thinking up excuses. Your not going to fool any of your shooting buddies cause they have all done it a time or two themselves.

It's a good thing that ARs don't kick. The 25Wizzer has a little snap to it, but nothing like a slug/turkey gun or big bore rifle. With the way I've seen some scopes mounted on ARs, there would be blood all over the place...

It is funny as heck to see the "crescent of pain" etched between someone's eyes!

My wife's ML scope nailed her about 8 years ago when she has to swivle around hard left to shoot a deer. The subsequent correction surgery damaged a nerve and she has lived with facial pain ever since. I don't laugh at "scope eye" or "scope nose" now that I've seen the pain it can cause.
Make sure your eye relief is enough!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My smoke pole bites me once and a while. I have an old Simmons scope that has terrible eye relief. I have the scope mounted farther forward than I would like due to that but still manage to get whacked every so often. I take it as a gentile reminder I need to spend more money on a good scope and retire the Simmons to a rimfire.

Back