nose busted from a scope?

swimmer

Is there a specific term for when a person gets too close to a scope and gets a bloody nose cut or even a broken nose?(besides "stupid" I mean). This happened to a friend shooting a ML and the kick actually busted his nose!

Scope nose, or scope eye, comes from getting to short an eye relief scope or chokeing up on the stock trying to get better eye relief. Moral of that is know the rifle before you pull the trigger. I had an ex BIL who did that with a 243 Sako becuase he choked up on the stock to much, what is even funnier is a guy who "knows all about handguns, and how to shoot them" then splits his forehead with the front sight on a 44 Mag because he was limp wristing.

It's only called stupid when you do it the second time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been there, done that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif have the scar and dr. bill to prove it. Wasn't paying attention - not a smart thing to do.

Can you say don't sneeze. I had a b-square mount and scope put on my 629 classic. Ordered it from a local sporting goods store and the gunsmith that I usually have do my work at that store was gone when I went in to have it put on. And the rumb dumb behind the counter said he would do it. I thought he might know what he was doing but he didn't. Went out to sight it in and about the 4th shot. The scope,rings and mount hit the bill of my cap after it hit the top of the covered bench I was shooting under. Well needless to say they replaced the scope and put the mount on the right way.

After 45 years of shooting, I bloodied my nose for the first time this deer season. I was shooting a meat deer for a landowner with my 30-06 and took a very awkward rest from my deer stand due to where the deer was standing. I couldn't get better positioned because the deer was staring at me. Scope hit me in the nose, the deer got hit by a bullet in close to the same spot. It died, I bleed.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine got bit by a 30-30 a while back. Just wasn't holding it right. I was shocked but not as much as he was. I really gave him a hard time until his 835 w/ 3.5 turkey load got me in the nose. I flicked off the safety and left my thumb in the way. OUCH !! I swear that is the absolute hardest hit I have ever taken and stayed consious. I think I could have gotten away with it if my eyes hadn't watered up immediately!! I tryed to walk over to the fence and act like I was taking a leak but it didn't work. All I could do was say " hey, it would have killed a normal man!" I will say it is good for a laugh when we get to talking about it. ha ha

MO Boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My buddy and I were sighting in my 45/70 and it ended up bloodying his nose pretty good!!!Looked over at me after he shot it, and had water pouring out of his eyes, and blood dripping out of his nose. I was laughing so hard there was almost another fluid leaking!!!LOL!!!

I swear, no matter how old we get, it is still halarious when one of our buddys is in pain from something like that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My wife aquired hairline cracks in her teeth this summer shooting my 30-30 a couple times.. Gritting teeth while shooting BAD!

Last edited:
we call those "Idiot Marks " and Yes I have had a couple! Sighting in other folks guns that kick like farm mules!

My mom got scope bit once on the forehead, I let her shoot my .300 Win mag off the hood of my bronco. Gee sorry mom, should have warned you.

Quote:
You shoot long enough, you will get bit!

YEP. Been there...done that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Had just got a Benelli SBE II and mounted a bushell holosight. Excited about going to the range and doing some pattern work for turkey season and did not get the sight properly seated on the base and tightened up. After 2 shots with 3.5 mag loads I'm thinking I'm gettin this thing zeroed in, well the 3rd shot zero's alright, right in the center of my forehead with the holosight. They almost named those things correctly, should be "halosight" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
A buddy of mine got bit by a 30-30 a while back. Just wasn't holding it right. I was shocked but not as much as he was. I really gave him a hard time until his 835 w/ 3.5 turkey load got me in the nose. I flicked off the safety and left my thumb in the way. OUCH !! I swear that is the absolute hardest hit I have ever taken and stayed consious. I think I could have gotten away with it if my eyes hadn't watered up immediately!! I tryed to walk over to the fence and act like I was taking a leak but it didn't work. All I could do was say " hey, it would have killed a normal man!" I will say it is good for a laugh when we get to talking about it. ha ha

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif that is funny i dont care who you are Ron Tj what do they call it when the scope cuts your head open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was smokepole hunting out of a tree stand years ago and i wrap the sling around my arm if i shoot free hand, i shot a doe while i was off kilter and bam right between the lookers i bleed more than she did the only reason the gun didnt hit the ground was because the sling around my arm Ron

Back