Low Power Variable for Calling AR

bhk

Anyone use something like the Leupold Vari-III 1.5 to 5 on their calling ARs? Seems like they might be perfect for a lightweight calling gun (R-15 carbine). If you have one, what reticle did you choose? Right now I have a 3 - 9 Nikon Monarch on my rifle, but it may be more scope than I need.

Got a 1-4X on my 16" AR and I'm not feeling slighted shooting it out to 300yds. I don't have many yotes to shoot at, so I practice hitting 8" steel plates and do so with relative ease...

I have a Leupy Mark IV 1.5-5x20 that is sitting in the safe un-mounted because the 1-4X is all I need for that gun. Great little scope too!

Nothing wrong with the 3-9 you have though...

I have a US Optics 1.5-6 on mine and it is awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to use a scope in that range for your application.

I have used a 1-4x on mine. Very well suited for calling. I now have a fixed 4x ACOG TA31F that I wouldn't trade for a sack full of roasted peanuts. Love it.

HS

The Trijicon Accupoint in 1.25x4 is FANTASTIC on my AR. It has both the benefits of the German #4 crosshairs and a self illuminating amber dot. Super crisp optics and a ultra wide field of view!!

I have one of those 1.5-5 Leopold scopes with the illuminated CQB reticle on one of my AR carbines. I like it very much. It is very clear and the circle cross-hair with multiple ranging aiming points is very handy at many distances and provides references for leading moving targets, too.

I recommend this scope; it is pricy though. It is mounted on a LaRue "one-piece" (mount & rings).

Karl in Phoenix

How do you like the illuminated reticle? I was trying to decide between the Leupold 1.5 with heavy crosshairs or the illuminated crosshair model. I read a post on another site that claimed the battery must be removed when the scope is not in use. Is this true? Seems unlikely. I also note the ones with the illuminated reticle have 30 mm tubes, while they are one inch without it.

Quote:
I have one of those 1.5-5 Leopold scopes with the illuminated CQB reticle on one of my AR carbines. I like it very much. It is very clear and the circle cross-hair with multiple ranging aiming points is very handy at many distances and provides references for leading moving targets, too.

I recommend this scope; it is pricy though. It is mounted on a LaRue "one-piece" (mount & rings).

Karl in Phoenix

10-22andA2.jpg
This is the same pic I used on the .22 thread. I know it's not a low power variable like your asking about, it works for me. The rifle in front is my Colt AR-15A2 wearing an ACOG TA-11 3.5x35 Amber chevron reticle. I also switched it to an A! butt stock, 5/8" shorter makes it more comfortable shooting with a jacket. It performs extremely well with Hornady TAP Tactical Application Police Urban loads (60 grain VMax).
Higher power optics work fine in wide open areas where you can see, I mostly hunt baits over small frozen ponds and use high power scopes for long range precision. For calling along logging roads and wooded areas; low power pays off for rapid target identification.

bhk,
I keep the battery in place (in the scope) at all times.

This AR is a "working rifle" so it is ready for deployment at all times.

The reticle is not too thick, I am able to use it accurately for holding off for wind and for leads for moving targets.

Once you understand where your ammo lands at the various aiming points, you will be good to go.

It is good practice to know your equipment and how to use it across the whole performance envelope.

By the way, I do keep a spare battery taped to the rifle in a water-proof container.

I hope this information helps you.

Karl in Phoenix

I have a Millett DMS-1 on one of my ARs. I am building two more ARs for myself and another for my son - each of them will get a DMS-1. I think it is a great scope for the money ($200), has a great reticle that can be illuminated, and is just about the perfect combination for coyotes.

Just my .02!

i have a lep 3-9 vxII with tactical rings and mounted on the side of the scope on the tac rings is a hologram sight so if its a close shot i just slightly twist the gun - also have a laser sight so have 3 options on mine- just in case- wannabe prepared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
A slightly better pic of the ACOG. I seem to be the only one using the ACOG.

No, check my post. I use an ACOG TA31F & love it. They are near perfect optic for the AR platform.
HS

Back