Idea for Going Wireless

Camel23

On Radio Shack's web site they have a 900 MHz wireless audio transmitter listed for $49.99 (32-1252) I was thinking of using this to send a signal from my portable CD player to a portable police type scanner (which I already have) and using the headphone jack on the scanner to send the signal to the RS amp and speaker (which I already have). To me this sounds like I could go wireless for under $50.

Has anybody tried this approach yet? Can anybody think of a reason it wouldn't work? I might even be able to skip using the RS amp because the scanner must have an internal amp to power it's built-in speaker.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Camel 23

Go check out this thread: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000623

I went and looked at canakit's stuff, and may have found exactly what I am looking for...
Their UK165 - MP3 / Walkman FM Transmitter may be just the thing to make my walkman/RS mini amp/powerhorn e-caller a remote.

This may also be what you want, and is cheaper than the RS unit. It has around a 200m range if I remember right.

I hope this helps,

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That Canakit UK165 looks pretty cool for the RS caller. One question: What would it transmit to? A fm radio hooked through the mini-amp/powerhorn set-up?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have the rs wireless setup, got it at the outlet store in town for $29.99 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am not sure how far out it will go, but on the stands I was using it on, I had it out about 55 yards with no problems.

I tried the Caca kit route and had a few problems with it. The first big problem is that when you get out in the boonies what you thought was a clear frequency has some rinky dink radio station broadcasting mariachi music on it and that doesn't bring in the yotes very well. The other is that the transmitter you get in the uk333 kit only goes about 50 yards.

Well, I tried the 900 mhz transmitter from radio shack, sending it to a scanner and there is a lot of background hiss so I guess thats out. Do the azden or the nady transmit any hiss?

Camel23, the Azden is generally pretty quiet as far as transmitting hiss. The big thing is to remove the hiss with Goldwave before you use the sounds for calling. I've noticed no real noise difference between my MP3/Azden setup and the FoxPro that I used to own. MI VHNTR

Back