How much effect?

StopEmDead

Hello everyone

How much effect on the coyote population in Wisconsin does hunting really have? Not sure whether we have a high, average, or low population of dogs or not ... all I know is that they are very very common.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Steve

Hunting, anywhere has very little or no effect on coyote populations. Coyotes are amazing in that they are one of very few species which actually can control the number of offspring they have. If the population is high and food is scarce, they may have only one or two pups, if the population is low, they may have 10 or even more!
I have read many times that in order to affect a population of coyotes adversly, you would have to kill 60-70% of the coyotes in a given area for a number of years to see any real negative effect. I don't care how many you kill, whether ir be 2, or 200, I don't think you will kill 70% of them!

StopEmDead!!! Now there's a handle I can identify with! Or at least WANT to identify with.

Welcome to the board, Steve!!

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Just to clear my handle up, I have been on this board in the past ... and quite a bit actually, but forgot my password. My old handle was RemRexAnotherDay.

Its great to be able to talk to you guys again, I love this board and the sport that it represents!

Thanks guys.

------------------
Steve

StopEmDead,
What area in WI are you calling from? Ever since the DNR stopped the coyote shooting during the deer season up north (to save the wolves) I don't think the population gets hunted hardly at all. It still seems to fluctuate some. In my area (south central) the population is still growing. I couldn't hazzard a guess but it is a lot. I trapped a few right outside of the city limits behind the house this year and there was a group of 5 that would come through every now and then. More often than not there were fresh tracks every morning. As for hunting, I would guess that over 75% are incidental to deer hunting. What percentage of a population of coyotes could get shot in 9 days? Not enough to really matter I think. I plan to try my hand at calling this fall/winter. Probably at night and early morning. Keep in touch if you'd like a callin' partner for a weekend or two.

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often

Matt

Matt Salm

Good news bud, I am always looking for a calling partner. I live in Sparta, WI ... not to far from where you live (I'd say 45 minutes). I have all the goodies for calling in lots and lots of dogs. Electronic caller, hand calls, a Remington Model 700 BDL chambered for 22-250 topped with a Leupold scope, and a brand new 2001 Dogde Ram to get them out.
smile.gif

Drop me an email at: woodys_chillin@hotmail.com and we can definetely work something out. I have about 5,000 acres to hunt on ... and there is plenty of room for you to come along time you want.

Your friend,

------------------
Steve

Back