Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1123671 - 11/30/08 08:16 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Devin,its a good thing we don't hunt the same country,or I think we could "clean it".I also run all kinds of dogs,from Catahoullas,crosses,a blue healer,a Macnab,some walkers,and a few "ticks".I think I have run a fair share of good dogs as well as dinks.It sure is a fun "game to play though".
I have never had good luck crossing hound and terrier blood.
How has it worked for you?

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1123672 - 11/30/08 09:29 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
My lead dog is a Jagd terrier Walker hound cross. She is 14 now I have had her since she was 7 months(she si only good for about one run a week now). I don't know if it was one of those fluke breedings or there is really something to it. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I wish I knew the breeding behind her so I would have some direction to go if I were to make a cross like that again. I have lucked into a female Jagd that has very good tracking ability and trees very good so I think some day I will make this cross with my Lead Male(Walker) and see how things turn out. But one thing you can bet I will keep a record of their ancestery so that if it works I can reproduce it again.
I had a buddy years ago that ran Airedale/Walker crosses on coyotes and loved them. That was back in my days when I was closed minded and I just laughed at him for doing that to a perfectly good hound, now I wish I would have hunted with them to see how they worked.
I love to hear of crazy crosses like that, I feel the dogs we now know were made from crazy crosses like that and I see no reason why we can not take what we have and improve on it. With fur prices down and compition hunts and shows on a rise I think we see our dogs of today going in the oppisite direction of the dog we as hunters are looking for. Anyway that is the way I see it, I have taken great meassures to prevent this from happening to me anyway. I have collected my lead male and have his semen in the bank so I will be able to draw off it for many years to come.
How many of us have lost our best dog and wished we would have got one more pup or a pup out of him before he died?
Sorry Rambling again, Keep those crazy crosses coming, someday they will be introducing your breed into the AKC ,UKC. The "SSU HOUND" I like it

#1123673 - 12/01/08 08:59 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Devin, I have more than once "taken some heat" For a cross.
Some worked out and some... well you know.
I have an old dog right now that is 11, with no nuts.I have killed 400 yotes over him.How bad did I screw up with that choice???? I say do the best you can,and if the cross may work,try it and see what happens.I do agree with you on the fact that "Paper is very helpful" My problem is most of the dogs I started will were "culls" that ended up being good dogs.They never had paper.I am though, going to do like the "oldmen" and keep a record of my crosses with my dogs,so as I continue ,I will have a record of sires and dams,grands,and so forth back to when I started.Maybe someday my kids will be glad I did.
As for "competition hunts" I have no interest.I breed dogs to work for me in my world.I have never been to a "hunt".

#1123674 - 12/01/08 09:53 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
That prospect looks a bit timmid. Just not use to the new surroundings? Good looking hound reguardless.

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#1123675 - 12/02/08 07:20 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: crapshoot]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Crapshoot,good observation, he is alittle "wolfy".I been working with him so we can trust each other,and still have a ways to go,but with patience,we are makin progress.It will be a month or so before I can hunt him.The older dog is solid and have had her out once already,and am just waitin for things to settle a bit so I can get out again.
I run her with my other dogs a few nites ago,but I'm in a spot because I have 3 females in heat,and 3 studs wantin to be studs.The new dog was a jewel to hunt with and handle,but my other dogs were bein a pain in the a$$.Besides the weather has been poor for a week.

#1123676 - 12/02/08 09:27 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Oklahunter Offline

Loc: Colorado
Good looking dogs Duane. How old is good dog?

#1123677 - 12/02/08 10:31 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Oklahunter]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

She is 4, seems to be OK, need to hunt her more.

#3251372 - 08/29/20 06:19 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
bugmenot Offline

Loc: usa
I want to congratulate you that you have found a true friend in the person of a dog. I also recently bought myself a dog spam link , for a long time I wanted such a dog for myself and finally bought myself a faithful friend. The Alaskan Klee Kai is a family dog that does not like to associate with strangers. These dogs choose only one or a few people, to whom they give all their attention and love. I like it the most about my dog, it is better not to find a friend.

Edited by Stu Farish (09/07/21 07:22 PM)

#3251376 - 08/29/20 07:42 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
another thread back from the grave. lol

#3251422 - 08/30/20 11:57 AM Re: New cat dogs [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

and a low-key advertising dig too... the link while it goes to an about animal profile is a retail site.

#3251432 - 08/30/20 03:27 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Plant.One]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: Plant.One
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

and a low-key advertising dig too... the link while it goes to an about animal profile is a retail site.

oh really. i didn't click on it. lol

#3252584 - 09/17/20 01:07 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Ruger77KH Offline

Loc: Missouri USA
I got 2 what appears to be black & white curs. abandoned on my property . Really would like to make bobcat mutts out of them they chase my house cat all over but not positive on how to train them for bobcats. I have trained walkers for coon but that's easy.work them on a hide then catch coons and let them figure it out .even trained A walker black& tan mix to rig hunt coons. Kinda hard to catch a bobcat in a live trap without getting in trouble.So do ya just use a drag with cat scent? 1 has a good nose & uses it the other seems to just me too & sight chase everything Or do I just take them to the spot I hunt & have seen bobcats several times & hope for the best. Any tips would be appreciated

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.