Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1123656 - 11/26/08 08:32 PM New cat dogs
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I went 700 miles one way to buy a finished cat dog,and ended up with a prospect also.Got home late last nite.
Solid dog

Prospect

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1123657 - 11/26/08 08:58 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
I like the looks of that dog. What is the breeding? It looks to be half hound and half cur???????
Am I close ? Anyway good luck with it, you will have to keep us posted.

#1123658 - 11/26/08 11:46 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Its actually 2 dogs,the first 2 pics are a solid cat dog,the second 2 are a prospect.As for "breeding"
I'll just say bi#$h that hunts X stud that hunts.
Not trying to be smart but they come from a guy that makes a livin runnin cats and bears on dry ground.He has run his own line of dogs for 30 years.These might be the "real deal".

#1123659 - 11/27/08 12:32 AM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
mikegranger Offline
Retired Admin/moderator

Loc: Lewistown, Mt USA
Good looking dogs Duanne. Looking forward to some great stories of the finished dog and the prospect.

Mike

#1123660 - 11/27/08 02:06 AM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Quote:

Its actually 2 dogs,the first 2 pics are a solid cat dog,the second 2 are a prospect.As for "breeding"
I'll just say bi#$h that hunts X stud that hunts.
Not trying to be smart but they come from a guy that makes a livin runnin cats and bears on dry ground.He has run his own line of dogs for 30 years.These might be the "real deal".

Hope they work for you. Good luck with them.

#1123661 - 11/28/08 08:18 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Devin, I hope you know I wasn't bein smart.When it comes to dogs,I don't follow paper,nor do I put any stock in it.
These dogs are a "cross of decades of dogs" there is no way to tell what all they have in them.I know some other dogs from these lines and they have as many different colors as there are stars.I'm goin huntin in a few hours,By daylight I might have a "feel" for the finished dog.

#1123662 - 11/29/08 02:14 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Oklahunter Offline

Loc: Colorado
Nice looking hounds. How old are they?

#1123663 - 11/29/08 07:02 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Oklahunter]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

You must believe in some kind of paper trail if you have followed decades of breeding of these dogs.
Anyway I hope they work for you. I was just curious of the breeding, Because I am a fan of good breeding weather it be on paper or some good ole hunter that has done his own for decades is no different, breeding the best to the best(and even that doesn't mean it will work).
We are all looking for the golden goose or in this case the golden dog. I think if there was such a thing ..... the perfect breed, that could reproduce the perfect offspring, the person or persons that had this would be rich, rich, rich.
Keep us updated on your success.I hope those turn out to be the golden dogs, hey at least I can say I know someone that had some golden dogs lol

#1123664 - 11/29/08 07:41 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Devin I agree with you.The best plan I have come up with,is to start with the best parents I can find and pray to get the best pups out of the litter.Then just do it over and over,with different dogs,hoping it works.This whole dog breeding game is more"witchcraft than science" (basicly luck)You are right,If I had all the answers I wouldn't be feedin cattle and balin hay.HaHa.

#1123665 - 11/29/08 09:22 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

I like how Onstott put it in his book The New Art of Breeding the Better Dogs.

" Fine dogs of whatever breed are things of beauty. The consistent production of them through the intelligent employment of the laws of heredity to perpetuate the desirable in the ancestral germ plasms and to eliminate the undesirable is artistry of a high order. And it is as an art, with a full awareness of it as such, and only so, that the breeding of dogs should be seriously undertaken."

Another quote I enjoy that made me think of my own breeding program and others that have been breeding their own lines for years and years is.

" They have been so interested in the trees of their own kennel that they have failed to see the vast forest of biology."

Got me thinking to be always open to what another man has because he just might have something better than I do and I might be too wrapped up and proud of my own breeding to realize what he has.

I would love to sit and pick the brains of some of the great breeders of our time or the old.
One of the finest breeders of big game hounds lives in Oregon, Sam Faulk , has some of the strongest genitics I have ever seen in a dog. I would love to sit down with Sam and find out how he bred his dogs and what his secerts were, Something we will will never know I am afraid. My buddy and I bought Sam's last 3 dogs from him at $10,000 each and they have been worth every penny. Sold one of them 2 months ago for $3500, she was 14 years old , we ran her for 7 years and put tons of game up a tree with her and got many fine pups from her.
Oh heck listen to me , I could ramble all night about dogs and breeding them. Sorry

Edited by Devin69 (11/29/08 09:26 PM)

#1123666 - 11/29/08 09:28 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
mikegranger Offline
Retired Admin/moderator

A quote from my lovely wife "You paid how much for Bubba and he doesn't have papers?" I like a papered dog as much as the next guy but in the end what's really important is "does the dog hunt". My grandpa was into coon hounds more than any man I ever knew. He was always looking for dogs with good papered bloodlines. But, he always bred to a proven hunter, papered or not. Granted, he sold dogs by hunting them. Not many were sold before a good night of hunting. The buyer either heard about the dog or was on the hunt.

Mike

#1123667 - 11/29/08 09:33 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
mikegranger Offline
Retired Admin/moderator

Devin,

Rambling is good. We like hearing about what other guys do and the roads they've traveled. That's what's so special about PM. We are a group of guys who like hunting, shooting, and hounds. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with dogs and we look forward to your input. Keep it coming.

Mike

#1123668 - 11/29/08 10:02 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: mikegranger]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Mike, Boy aint that the truth. We have to look at what we want, do we want a great hunting dog or do we want a great hunting dog with the ability to reproduce itself? Most of us are just happy with a great hunting dog until they get old or die early.
One of the best hunting dogs I have ever owned is half Jagd terrier and half walker hound, just a super hunting dog, But she couldn't reproduce her likeness if her life depended on it.And her parents never reproduce another good dog as long as they lived. And that is were geneticts play into the art of breeding.
Another quote and I will stop.
" The likelihood of this being accomplished (breeding best to best)in a single breeding , even from a sire and dam of undeniable excellence,is of the same order as the total numbers in a Mexican lottery. It is true that in the lottery someone wins , but we are stressing the probability, not the win.The purpose of geneticts is to "rig" the lottery so that the probability of winning is increased."

Don't get me wrong I am not promoting the registared dog, I find the UKC , AKC PKC and others just money hungry. But they are doing something that most people are too lazy to do themselves and that is write down a pedigree or a history of the dogs they have had ,and bred, and what worked and what did not work. Without that history we are just buying a lottery ticket. I got lucky and won a pretty good lottery with my half Jagd and half Walker hound but in the long run it would have been better if I could have reproduced her.

#1123669 - 11/29/08 11:28 PM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Devin69]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Devin,just remember,"you can have a dink out of a good litter or a superstar out of a dink litter,no matter what the papers." No debate, you have now, and have had in the past some great dogs,you need no advice from me.Just keep an open mind ,as you continue to breed and train great dogs.
I for one am glad to have you and your insight on the board.

#1123670 - 11/30/08 12:49 AM Re: New cat dogs [Re: Duane@ssu]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Like I said it is a lottery with breeding but if you know the history or the genetics of the dog you can increase your success.
As far as a open mind, that is why i was asking how the dog was bred. I always have a open mind about dogs.
I have owned and tried every breed of hound and crosses. tried Kemmer curs, leopards,Jagd terriers, Airedale terriers, hound terrier crosses, jack russels,border collies.
I currantly own Walker hounds for Bear, Lion, Bobcat.Kemmer curs and a OMC and a Leopard ,kemmer,hound cross and some Jagd terriers and the Airedale for coyotes.
And thanks glad to be here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.