Need help on ported chokes

Nightsniper

I been using Rem extra full in my 870. With 23/4 lead BB.
I want to go to a Ported choke so I can shoot 3" with less recoil. Lead or Copper plated BB used. Rem makes the Ventilator,Has anyone used it?? Like it?? or your recomendations for Ported Chokes. Thanks Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Porting in a choke tube isn't going to reduce recoil enough you will ever notice it at your shoulder. The ports serve more to retard or strip the wad from the shot so it doesn't bang around in the rear of the shot column and create havoc on the pattern. There are many good to great choke tubes on the market. Personally, I’ve always had great luck with Kick’s chokes. Kick’s chokes are high quality, well made products that perform great and the owner is a super good guy to deal with.

GC is absolutely correct. ported chokes do not reduce felt recoil. Some claim that ported chokes help with muzzle jump, but i am not one of these folks. What i do believe is that a choke that is properly ported like a comp-n-choke or kicks will strip the wad away from the shot column resulting in tighter more consistent shot patterns. I have owned and shot just about every major choke in the market and the comp-n-choke or kicks perform the very best as they were designed! Lee

Ok so you say that ported chokes don't reduce felt recoil. A friend of mine had a .357 that was ported and with .357 ammo was like shooting a 38. Anyway whats your ported choke of choice??? I don't know this is why i'm askin. Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Quote:
Ok so you say that ported chokes don't reduce felt recoil. A friend of mine had a .357 that was ported and with .357 ammo was like shooting a 38.

wouldnt that be a muzzel break?

you are talking about to different animals here nightsniper. you cannot compare metallic to shotshell loads. way different pressures involved. And the bottom line is that a ported choke in a shotgun will not reduce felt recoil.... A good recoil pad doesnt reduce recoil either. it may reduce felt recoil, but not recoil. Recoil is the resualt of the explosion happening inside the chamber of the gun, and the weight of the shot charge, and weight of the gun. If you have a load you like in a gun you like all you can do is try to help with felt recoil. Gun fit is the first place i would be looking. a shotgun that doesnt properly fit will have more felt recoil and a gun with the same weight and shot charge, than a shotgun that fits the shooter properly. Recoil pads is another place to start as i am more than sure you shotgun really doesn't fit properly. So few shotguns fit anyone properly. You have to spend big money to fave a shotgun fitted properly. but it is always worth the cost to me anyway. get yourself a good recoil pad if your gun is hitting you to hard or trade it in on another that feels better to you. a ported choke will not help, nor will porting your barrels. been there and done that. Lee

Back