First Minnesota deer season with the .223

dtech

As many of you may have already heard, Minnesota has for the first time in history allowed the .224 diameter bullet to be used for deer. I know this is one of those topics, much like "barrel break-in" or "moly-coated bullets" that can spark controversy and even heated discussions on the Internet, but that isn't what I'm going for here. I just wanted to pass-along some results from the Dtech hunting party.

My nephew Evan took three deer with his 18" mid-length this season. He was running a 60 grain Nosler Partition with a moderate charge of Varget. All three were "one shot kills", and where they didn't all just "drop in their tracks", we didn't have to chase any of them down, or shoot them again.

One of the deer he got was a nice buck. The rack was not well developed, but the deer weighed about 140 lbs field-dressed. That deer was shot through the chest cavity at an angle, and the bullet was found just under the hide on the far side. The deer was running when it was shot, and continued running for about 30 yards. We recovered two of the 60 grain partitions from Evan's deer, and both of them retained about 40 grains of their original 60 grains.

Here's a picture of one of Evan's partiions we recovered.
IMG_0787_smbu.jpg

This year I built myself a new 6.8 SPC. I also opted for an 18" mid-length. I was shooting 110 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters and H-322. I also took three deer, the first was a small buck. The first weekend was quite windy so nothing was moving. My family got together and made a small drive to me and pushed the buck out to me. He came out facing me at about 30 yards. I took him in the brisket, and the bullet exited his ribs near the diaphragm. He bolted and made it about 50 feet before dropping.

This last weekend we still had several tags to fill, so my brother invited us up to where he had been hunting. His group of hunters had a huge parcel of land that they had been wanting to make a drive on, but never had enough people to do it with. With Evan, my son Marshall and myself added to their crew, we decided to give it a try.

I've never hunted with a larger group of hunters like that before, so the experience turned out to be interesting to say the least! There were now 10 hunters, 7 posters and 3 drivers. Once I was at my posting place, it was probably only 15 min. or so before deer started to appear. The first that I saw was a nice doe. It was in fairly thick brush about 85 yards away. She was moving right along, and I knew I only had a few seconds before I wouldn't be able to see her at all. I took the shot, trying to place the bullet behind her front shoulders. She bounded out of sight within a few seconds after the shot, but I felt confident that I had at least hit her.

A little while later, the woods sounded like a clip from the movie "Hamburger Hill" The folks posting were all quite a distance apart, covering the areas that we thought the deer would travel. I could hear shooting on both sides of me. Just a few minutes after I had shot at the first deer, another one appeared in the same thick brush. This one had stopped, and as I looked at it through the scope, the only areas that I could make out at all were the nose, part of the neck and it's tail. Rather than wait for it to get chased, I took a shot for the neck. The deer tipped over right were it stood.

When our partners finished the drive, I went over to see if I could find any sign that I had hit the first deer. It was about 85 yards to where I had shot at the running doe, and I found a small amount of blood with the tracks. About 50 yards away from where I shot it, the doe was piled up under a tree. The bullet had passed-through the rib-cage just behind the front shoulders.

I went back to the brush and found that the deer I had shot in the neck was a nice 8-point buck. The bullet had struck the neck, but I couldn't find an exit wound. The buck weighed in a 157 lbs after being field-dressed. When I removed the hide I was able to see that the bullet had struck and broke the spine. By the looks of the entry-wound, it appeared as though the bullet had opened up on the brush before hitting the deer. I'm going to let the buck hang until next weekend before we butcher it, but I am anxious to evaluate the remains of the bullet.

Here's a picture of Evan and I with the two bucks.
IMG_0811_sm.jpg

I posted a week ago or so about a friends ar15 .223 and the pic's of the partition also pushed by Varget, we recover from his deer, It is staring to look like the litle .223 is a viable deer round given the proper bullet selections, good job.

Now that is just flat out cool!

Black rifles & deer drives...could deer hunting get any more exciting than this? You got me so pumped up that I may venture over to a rifle legal county with the AR this weekend to whack a doe with the .223...

Congrats on your season guys!

WTG Mike.

Thanks for the excellent report, and CONGRATS to all the hunters in your party.

Just for the record, what kind of accuracy were you getting with the 60gr. Nosler Partitions in the .223? I shot up 3 boxes of them last year through the DPMS Panther Bull 20 Fluted I got from you and never did come up with a group I was happy with. If memory serves me correctly I used H-4895, Benchmark, Varget and maybe some others as well that I don't remember.

Larry

Quote:
Just for the record, what kind of accuracy were you getting with the 60gr. Nosler Partitions in the .223?

Mike,
I'd be interested in that myself. Could you give us an idea of the load you settled on?
That brisket shot sounds like the last one I took with my .308. It chainsawed 5 ribs on the way out and there was no running involved. Slight overkill, but it's a good shot to take. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Glad to see you got some time off to go hunting, figure you've been pretty busy, eh?

Quote:

Just for the record, what kind of accuracy were you getting with the 60gr.

My Nephew Even had been wanting an AR. He came up to Bemidji about a week before season. (He lives in the St. Paul area about 230 miles south of us) We built his AR that weekend, and he went back home with it. He mounted a scope and pushed together some loads with the Nosler partitions. I will have to ask him, but I think he told me that he only could get a 50-yard range to sight-in and check his loads with. He said at 50 yards they were just ripping a ragged hole. I don't know what charge he ended up with, but I will ask him and add it when I find out.

I don't know what Mike's gang is shooting, but I have two rifles that like 22.5gr of Benchmark with the 60gr Nosler Partition. OAL is 2.245" This is by FAR the most accurate 60gr bullet that I have found.

That is a slow load for the bullet (about 1.5gr under max) that chrono'd at 2920. But it consistently shoots to 1/2" out of both of our rifles. I can deal with the loss of speed to gain the accuracy.

Quote:
Quote:

Just for the record, what kind of accuracy were you getting with the 60gr.

My Nephew Even had been wanting an AR. He came up to Bemidji about a week before season. (He lives in the St. Paul area about 230 miles south of us) We built his AR that weekend, and he went back home with it. He mounted a scope and pushed together some loads with the Nosler partitions. I will have to ask him, but I think he told me that he only could get a 50-yard range to sight-in and check his loads with. He said at 50 yards they were just ripping a ragged hole. I don't know what charge he ended up with, but I will ask him and add it when I find out.

Man why couldnt I be Mikes nephew /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Good going Mike those are some good looking guns and deer.

As I promised earlier, I have retrieved the 6.8 SPC bullet from my buck this weekend. The bullet had traveled in a slightly different angle than I though, and actually exited the neck on the far side and lodged in the shoulder. I weighed the remains of the bullet and it came in at 67 grains. It started out as a 110 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter and ended up retaining just over 60% of it's mass.

The bullet had cut through some pretty thick brush, struck the buck in the base of the neck, hit and shattered the spine, passed thought the other side of the neck and came to rest in the shoulder.

Here's a picture of the Sierra.
IMG_0837_busm.jpg

IMG_0839-busm.jpg

Last edited:
Hidalgo,

I just ordered 100 Partitions. I'll start around 2900 fps and see what it looks like. I'm going to try W748 first. Thanks.

Quote:
I can deal with the loss of speed to gain the accuracy.

Me too. The Partition is soft enough in the front end that 2900 (or even less) isn't any kind of concern. That's faster than my .308 throws them and they open right up. If I can get under 1" groups, I'm going to be ------> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

223's on deer......don't you guys know that they'll just bounce right off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good shooting Dtech!!!

I have had good luck with the 60gr. partitions. I prefer the Hornady 68gr. BTHP Match. I would like to find the bullet to inspect it, but they always pass through and make a large hole for a .223. I get alot better blood trail with the 68gr. than the partition. Not bashing the partition. It does its job well and a partition is my favorite big game bullet in any caliber but 22. I havn't tried the 70gr x bullet, but I think it would be a top choice for 22 cal and deer if you have a fast twist barrel.

Mike,i had reservations about how well my 223 would do for hunting deer, after reading how well you did, i feel more at ease about using my Tika 223 !
THANKS !!!

Back