Blacks becoming more prevalent

Pruson

A friend of mine killed this one while deer hunting Saturday. These things are becoming more frequent in NC and Virginia every year it seems. Black gene seems to be active along the eastern side of the Blue Ridge.

blackcoyote.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Neat never seen one before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Mike

the tail doesn't look as bushy and longer looking legs. do you think it is more of a grey fox? or what they call a kit
Mike

It is obviously a young coyote, but sure is a weird marked thing. Kind of reminds me of those black backed jackals over in Africa.

seems I'm seeing more pics of black coyotes on the net. I've never seen one here in Ohio. Maybe the fella's at the bottom of the state see'em.

Quote:
the tail doesn't look as bushy and longer looking legs. do you think it is more of a grey fox? or what they call a kit
Mike

No Mike, that thought never crossed my mind. (1), I know a coyote when I see a coyote, (2) The closest Kit fox to our location is 1500-2000 miles west of us and they weigh about 25 lbs less than this guy. (3) The coyote was running in a pair with another coyote to avoid hounds and deer hunters. The second coyote was a normal looking coyote. The shooter rolled them both, but this one stayed down. Never recovered the second one after extensive blood trailing in thickets. Trust me and Cooper, it was a coyote. It wasn't a fox or a dog or anything but a coyote. Several Black ones have been killed here in Virginia and down into North Carolina over the past year or so.

A guy in Bland co. VA about 10 miles north of me killed a black one while deer hunting last week. They are around, nice pic Pruson and Cooper.

my buddy was bowhunting saturday and had a black one come in on him chasing a flock of turkeys... he missed it twice before it got away... he doesnt coyote hunt and didnt know how rare it was to kill a black one. he just knew it was screwing up his bowhunt saturday morning..hahahaha..

Something I've never seen, a black coyote. One of our local Wal-Mart stores sporting goods section does have a mount of one done by a local taxidermist, so I guess maybe there are some around.

gc the first one i ever seen was in a little mom/pop shop in hillsboro one day rabbit hunting.. it was in the corner of the store up on the freezer... id love to get one in my cross hairs....

Last edited:
I saw one sitting on the point behind my house watching my father feed a few years ago. I was looking at him through binos but couldn't verify it was a coyote for sure. Then he got up, definately coyote. I ran for the rifle but didn't make it in time. That was the first I had seen.
I'll post pics of the second one when I get home tonight. A friend of the family had a beautiful big male chasing deer by his stand yesterday. He was able to make the kill and didn't want the yote. I packed it off the hill and skinned it last night. I couldn't stand to see it waste, figured I'd sew up the hole and tan it. I'll try to find time to post a pic later tonight. Take care

Sonny, Cooper,
It's kind of hard to tell by the pic, how much of,if any, a white star or blaze did it have on it's chest? All the ones I've seen have had some kind of white marking on the chest. Several black ones have been killed in Lousia and Orange counties.
F1

Gene, it was solid 100% black, no white anywhere. I agree alot of the ones I've seen have been as you stated with a white patch, not this one. It was a really neat looking coyote, I was envious.

theres a few of them taken in this part of the ohio, by both trappers and hunters, there was two taken last year about 2 miles from the house. they are worthless on the fur market, but you can make a bundle off them in the Taxidermy market.

Very cool!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to see one like that! Although I know it's not the case, but the white star makes them look more like part domestic dog.
F1

Last edited:
oops my bad It does look small I would have never guessed 30 pounds.
are you going to mount it. Sure is neat
Mike

Back