Lever guns for coyotes?

Inexpensive... probably mean a modern rifle... a Marlin in about whatever centerfire chambering you run across a good deal on. The 1894 Marlin is a sweet handling little rifle in any of its chamberings. The .357 Magnum would be just fine IMHO. I would forget the iron sights though and opt for a "ghost ring" aperture sight. A good "peep sight" is accurate, compact, light, and very fast to use.

With the recent rise in Predator hunting I'd like to see Marlin put out some .22 Hornets, .218 Bees, .25-20's. Something along those lines for us Lever guys. Then load them with some LeverEvolution ammo.

How about a 219 zipper...
I have had one in mind for awhile now. I want too build it on a blued 336 with a new 22" stainless barrel. Stainless magazine tube and a black snythetic stock. Everytime I get a 336 I can't bring myself to tear it apart they are such good gun but SOMEDAY that will be my lever coyote thumper.

I used my Winchester 94 Big Bore in .307, shooting 150gr TSX FP this weekend to take a pair of coyote's. It may be a bit hard to find one, and ammo will be a handloading proposition, but it would work quite well. I've shot 125gr hollow fp's which are pretty devestating, and it is very accuratte. I have a .223 for coyote's but that morning the deer weren't moving and I saw those two coyote's and decided to call them in. Luckily it worked and I got them. It got me thinking about using the levergun for coyote's.

Lots of good ideas so far...

How 'bout a Winchester 9422mag? May or may not be enough knock down power though...

Levers are light and quick handling, but pumps beat them in both departments...
So how 'bout an old Rem 760 pump in .243? They aren't the most easy gun to find, but sure are neat! Top it with a Williams peep sight and go whackin'! Heck, you could even get silly and re-barrel it to 22/243 if ya wanted to...

I realize that you made specific mention of a lever gun, but I just can't get away from HOW you said you'd be using it, i.e. in "shotgun" range. And the terms attributed to lever guns as being "light & fast handling", with the added possibly of using a red dot or low power optic really have me wondering if you aren't actually looking for a 16" flattop AR??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here is my skewed logic, in progression, of sorts...

Levers are quick & light.
Pumps do it better.
Semis are the "fastest"...

Well, ARs are semis.

16" ARs are light and very quick handling.

Flattop ARs can accomodate either red dots or low power optics that can be swapped out in a flash.

See where I'm going with this? Of course, its all just food for thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not trying to pull you over to the DARK SIDE or anything... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OR

Get a Marlin 336 in 30/30...

Good topic!

Knock'em, definitely, I don't want a rimfire. Nor a 16" AR. My hearing is pretty terrible already, with full blown tinnitus that has been just getting worse for the last 20 years. I think after a day of hunting with one of those short barrelled AR's, I'd not only be 100% deaf, but I'd be flinching like a dog passing a peach pit too!

No objections to a pump. But, I'm really not looking for anything with as much horsepower as a .243.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a .357. Make for a fun plinker with the kids as well as a tight cover coyote gun.

No decision made yet though!

- DAA

Dave,

That little Marlin is a very quick handling rifle. I used to shoot in the cowboy action shooting & had one in .44...I loaded it down some, but it would take out 8 targets in 4.3 seconds for me.

You can also mount a scope on it with a conventional mount system.

Good hot rounds out of a .357 rifle ought to make a great coyote rifle out to 200 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

If you can find one these little Savage 99A's in 250-3000 make great Varmint/Deer rifles. I bought this one new somewhere around 1971 and it is one of my favorite rifles.
Doc
PICT0334.jpg

Okay... From what I'm reading (have not been out to actually look, touch and feel yet), I think a Marlin 1894c in .357 might be what I'm after. Especially since, I think some really good points have been made about iron sights and low light etc. I "think" I'm going to end up putting some sort of optic on this thing and the Marlin seems well suited for optic mounting.

But! I've got a line on a Browning B-92 in .357. Can a scope be easily mounted on the 92? And, would $300 be a fair price to pay for one in very good condition?

Thanks again all!

- DAA

Quote:
Okay... From what I'm reading (have not been out to actually look, touch and feel yet), I think a Marlin 1894c in .357 might be what I'm after. Especially since, I think some really good points have been made about iron sights and low light etc. I "think" I'm going to end up putting some sort of optic on this thing and the Marlin seems well suited for optic mounting.

But! I've got a line on a Browning B-92 in .357. Can a scope be easily mounted on the 92? And, would $300 be a fair price to pay for one in very good condition?

Thanks again all!

- DAA

You can put a scope on it - you can put a scope on anything, including a Volkswagon - but it would be clugie...

... you don't need no steeenkin scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The next gun to buy on my list is another lever gun. I used to have a 16" barreled Win 94 but traded it away and have kicked myself ever since.

I won't buy a lever gun that doesn't have a straight stock on it. Lever guns with the English style (or whatever they are called) look funny. And that includes the Marlin 336!!

I can't believe the ## of guys that don't like the looks of the Browning but think that the Savage is good looking. Yuck!!! If I were to get a lever gun in a calibers like the 22-250 or 243 the browning wins hands down.

Other than that I want a .357. Not that I prefer that caliber over the 30-30, but I can see a day here in Iowa where they will follow in the footsteps of Indiana and let us use pistol caliber carbines/rifles instead of shotguns on deer.

I handled a stainless Puma/Rossi M92 in .45 colt a couple months ago and it was so light and small it was unbelievable. They were asking $300 and if it had been a .357 it would of been mine.

I like small, low powered scopes on my brush guns. Getting on target is way faster and more accurate than any iron sight.

CB

DAA, Buy that Browning!!! Scope options will be limited (or Non-existent) and you'll have to go with a good peep sight (like Williams) but for $300 it's a steal!!.

CB

I just may go ahead and buy it, if the deal is that good. I have not seen the rifle yet, but I do know the guy selling it very well (my Wife's brother). He actually knows practically nothing about guns, but tells me that this Browning "looks brand new" to him. I won't be able to go look at it until next week at the earliest though.

- DAA

Another thought, if they make them for that gun, fiber optic sites are nice. Before I put a scope on my Encore smoke pole I used the factory fiber optic sites. It's amazing how much they stand out in low light.

I'm game to give the ghost ring peep a try. They look a heckuva lot cheaper than any of the optics I'd consider, too, which is a real consideration right now on this project.

- DAA

DAA, I have a couple Marlin 1894s in 357 and 45 colt and a couple Uberti 1873 winchester copys in 45. They all shoot great. My eyes are not what they use to be but I can hit 100 yd targets open sights pretty consistant rapid fire. I wouldnt scope one. But thats just me. If you reload they are cheap to shoot also.
My .02 cents

Quote:
I can't believe the ## of guys that don't like the looks of the Browning but think that the Savage is good looking. Yuck!!! If I were to get a lever gun in a calibers like the 22-250 or 243 the browning wins hands down.
CB

I can't believe you even put those two names in the same paragraph. There is NO comparison between the Browning and Savage. One's Crap and one's a classic.100 years from now guys like us won't be praiseing the BLR.They'll still be talking about the 99.

Back