Range Report 257 "robert's"...Non dime sized group

Dave Allen

OK..I didn't have time to go coyote hunting,family in town.I did have time to slip out to the range before dark.

I was @ Sportsman's the other day & spotted some Speer 87 grain soft point's..kinda "old school" looking bullet's i liked them..so i loaded up a few.

Using the Lyman 48th edition's suggested load..38.0 of varget & WLR primer's..i thought i'd give them a whirl..

My rifle is a Ruger M77 built in 91 or 92..with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 set @ 7 power..The range was 90 yard's..Typical Ruger my 1st shot was a flyer off a cold bore,this time it was to the right.sometime's it's to the left.Fog moved in from the mighty snake river & the lowest shot was my 5th..I know excuses....excuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
DSCN3785-1.jpg

Nice shootin Dave.

I've tried Varget in several different calibers, and have had ZERO luck with it.
Seems like folks shoot it in everything from 17FB to 30/06 and love it. You're obviously one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If you are still not quite happy with that first group .... you can send your wayward rifle to me ...... I offer frustrated gun owners FREE ADOPTTION services ..... 24/7!!

Nice first group!!

Three 44s

Quote:
Seems like folks shoot it in everything from 17FB to 30/06 and love it. You're obviously one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Yeah..Charlie,It seem's Varget has treated me well.

Rifle's i own or have owned that shot well with Varget include two 223's..two 22/250's..one 243..one 257 "bob"..one 17 remington..

Three 44's thank's for the offer..I think i'll pass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've been shooting that same bullet in two rifles chambered in 257 Roberts. One rifle shoot 41.0 to 42.0 grains of Reloader 15 very well, and the other likes 44.5 grains of IMR-4350 best. With each rifle, I get a 1/2" group for three shots at 100 yards, using a 20x scope that I use for developing loads.
I do a bit of rifle work with factory rifles that helps insure accuracy, like free floating the barrel, and doing the triggers to get a good crisp pull. I polish the bores of these factory rifles to get them smooth on the inside too.
Case prep I think is important too. I debur the primer flash holes inside the case, ream the primer pockets outside, and weigh cases to group them according to weight.
Lastly, I seat bullets with Wilson straight line seaters to insure that the bullet sits straight in the case, and to control runout.

I have a Ruger Model 77 in 257 Roberts, but only shoot 100 grain bullets in it. It is very accurate after doing the above to it too.

All of these things help accuracy.

Don

Back