Anyone using a SPOT?

Sly went to Spot web site and pulled up rebate form. Is only good for unit purchased at regular retail price of 149.95 So a toss up for me to just buy at Big 5 and send for rebate and pay The Gov. of Calyfonia

Borrego if you read the fine print on the Spot rebate form it says it will not honor it if you buy it from Ebay and has specific information about buying it from Costco but it doesn't say it won't honor it if bought from anywhere else. I bought one last night from Amazon and certainly intend on submitting the rebate form.

I've read that it has to be flat horizontally to work well.
Any one confirm? My dad won't bother if it won't ride in a pocket and work.
GAJoe

Last edited:
Checked their faq page and it does say that it works best in a horizontal position. Here is the link to the faq page. For me I don't see it as much of a problem since the safety factor is well worth the inconvenience of having to hold it horizontally.

Here is another link to another faq page that has some useful information about the Spot GPS.

I was thinking about buying one also. I am not old by no means some call me still wet behind the ears yet but I would rather have something to call for help if needed. might get one with that rebate now. would be good for any hunter. of course getting someone to carry one is different. it would be about like a survival kit most hunters make one but never bring it with them hunting because they are only going out the back door or are only one hundred yds away from the truck. no one can predict a accident but the more prepared you are the better off you will be.

Just ran across this deal(after I already signed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif) for a year's free service including the tracking feature with a new Spot account. Free Service Link You have to enter a promo code(which you get from your Fire Eagle account) when activating the Spot.

It requires that you have a Fire Eagle account which you can sign up for free at Fire Eagle . The offer is only good until December 31st 2008 . You get the code under the Application Gallery - Mobile Updaters after you sign up at Fire Eagle. Just select the Spot application on the 3rd page then click on the Get Started button on the right of the screen and it will generate the code for you.

So if you've just bought a Spot and haven't signed up yet this is a great deal. You might also still have time to buy one before year's end and get signed up.

If the call back feature is going to take a while, does anyone (sharkathmi) know what the success rate is with these? I mean if they are 99.9% reliable in transmission then the call back is not as important. You make the call and you know it has been heard. But if they are only 60-70% successful in transmission that's another story.

Regarding transmission, can you tell when you are locked on a satelite as with GPS?

GeogiaJoe,
I've been trying one out for the past few weeks. You not only have to have it flat, you have to have an UexcellentU view of the sky all around and even then it has struggled to pass a message on.

This thing does not operate well by storing it in your pocket. It didn't work when I worn it on my belt, in my top pocket or lying flat hooked on top of my fannypack.

I think they are a great idea and they have already saved lives, but they are not powerful enough. Given their limitations I would not recommend getting one and relying on it. Thats my opinion after taking it out in the field to different places about 6 times so far.

FWIW

After doing some more checking I found that Spot is owned by Globalstar and they are having problems with their satellites because of a design flaw. The were originally designed to last 15 years but in reality they are failing at the 8 to 9 year mark. Several of the original 50 they launched have failed so far. They are going to be launching new updated satellites in 3rd quarter 2009 or 1st quarter 2010 which should make the system super reliable.

I just got my unit signed up for service and have tested it locally and it has worked well so far. When my Fury finally arrives I will test it further in the field and see how well it works out in the remote desert.

Thanks for the feed-back guys. I read a couple reviews that mentioned the unobstructed view of the sky so that wouldn't be reliable enough. Maybe when their new satellites are in the sky it'll be worth revisiting.
Thanks again.
GAJoe

I've thought about getting spot because I too hunt alone a lot. However, the unobstructed veiw of the sky doesn't work when you get disabled in a canyon under a canopy of trees. I am hopefull they can get something someday that will penetrate a deep canyoun and trees.

Quote:
I've been trying one out for the past few weeks. You not only have to have it flat, you have to have an UexcellentU view of the sky all around and even then it has struggled to pass a message on.

This thing does not operate well by storing it in your pocket. It didn't work when I worn it on my belt, in my top pocket or lying flat hooked on top of my fannypack.

I think they are a great idea and they have already saved lives, but they are not powerful enough. Given their limitations I would not recommend getting one and relying on it. Thats my opinion after taking it out in the field to different places about 6 times so far.

Happy Hunter - Interesting. From my experiences, I've never had mine fail to send a message. I don't always lay mine flat either, at times it's clipped to my pack and rides upright. And can you please describe, "has struggled to pass a message". How do you know it's "struggling"?
Are you sending the OK signal and no one is getting it? Is that what you are saying by "will not operate"?
Lastly, I'm trying to comment on your statement, "Given their limitations I would not recommend getting one and relying on it". A SPOT should be used an as additional safety aid, not a substitute for skills, knowledge, etc. If you know what I mean? It's a safety net of sorts, but that net has limitations.

Quote:
Thanks for the feed-back guys. I read a couple reviews that mentioned the unobstructed view of the sky so that wouldn't be reliable enough. Maybe when their new satellites are in the sky it'll be worth revisiting.
Thanks again. GAJoe

Personally, based off of experience, I don't think you need to perfectly unobstructed view of the sky. A clear view is better, but I'd think a tree canopy wouldn't bother it too much. It is a unit that uses radio freq, no different than a cell phone or GPS. I have used mine in well canopied areas and it has sent a message.

I think you guys are doing a good job of researching this out. I didn't know about GlobalStar and it's satellite issues. Interesting. Very good thread. Good stuff being shared here.

Merry Christmas!

M

I for myself steped up and bought a satellite phone. When I need it, I need it NOW. It works very well. It is kinda pricey to start with but that depends what's your life worth. I want to talk to someone on the other end. Not hope they got the message. That is just me.
Happy Hunting

CDENTON,
Please keep in mind that a satellite phone has its limitations as well.
While on a Search & Rescue mission I was given the SO’s sat phone.
I stood in a 10,000 foot pass (Molas Pass Colorado) and was unable to get a sat signal to call the Sheriffs Office.
I couldn’t even call other field teams as none of us could get a signal.
We ended up using GMRS radios at 6 miles line of sight.
Just something to think about when possessing a sat phone.
M

Sorry to hear that, that stinks. I have never had that problem. Mine will have lost Sat. time but it has allways came back up with in 2 or 3 min. I guess nothing fool proof.
I look at the SPOT very hard but like I said I just like to talk with someone on the other end.
Happy Holidays

does exactly what it claims.. the tracking feature allows you or anyone else to see on google earth exactly where you are. Just click on the link in the email notification and it goes to google earth mapping.. Very simple.

trx 406 is not free though, it has an activation fee and monthly fee that is agreed upon purchase. Also the Spot offers an insurance program to cover cost of recovery for up to 100,000 dollars from lloyds of london For 7.95 the first year.Does the trx 406 have a similar feature?The trx is also several times higher priced.

Back