3 inch Steel BB for Coyotes?

HCS

I have a bunch of 3" and 3 1/2" steel BB loads. How effective would these be on coyotes under 40yds?

My gun throws a tight pattern.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I think you would be a whole lot better off shooting lead shot. Probably 00 buck or #4 buck. I have not tried steel shot on coyotes but if its like the results we've had on waterfowl stick with lead.

HCS, Steel works great on Yotes. There is a prior post with some input from myself, Pack Wolf and Tka250 on the effectiveness of steel on yotes. Just use the "search" function for my username and it is the post for 2 3/4" shells.

You'll here a lot from the ney sayers against steel because they haven't tried it, are poor judge of distance, haven't patterned their guns or plan old poor shots.

Wack n stack

Jerry

Yotecllr,

What is your range with steel? I'm not gonna include myself as one of the guys that have not tried it nor am I against it. I'm just a bigger fan of buckshot I guess. It sounds like it works well for you so I'm just curious at what ranges and what size shot do you use?

Thanks Jay

Pattern the gun and get out and give them a try. At under 40 yard they will nockem on their butt! Let us know how you do.

I have shot, pattern and penetration tested a lot of steel shot over the years and I would never shoot steel shot at live animals if I had an option to use one of the heavier metals. Save your steel shot for waterfowl, or sell it to someone who will use it for that purpose. Get some decent buffered lead loads, or Hevishot, or similar tungsten based shots.

With the time and money for gas you will spend trying to find them, you owe it to yourself to use something which is effective for that purpose, particularly if they show up, just a bit further than you thought.

Steel shot is second rate crap, and the only reason any of us use it for waterfowl is because we can't legally use lead or justify the expense of the more expensive tungsten based shots. Steel gets the job done on waterfowl, but only because the ranges are short and the birds are not nearly so heavily constructed as mammals.

Steel BB dont even kill ducks very well! I have shot a truck load of ducks with steel BB's and a few were grave yard dead but i have probably shot just as many that flew away to die other places. I have also seen coyotes run away after being hit with a 50gr bullet running over 3000 fps. I would not have any confidence in using steel shot of any kind to cleanly kill a coyote. But there again i have no personal experience as there are better choices. Lee

Quote:
Don't really matter what the pellets are made of put enough close enough to geather and the results won't be purty

The same philosophy applies to using a baseball bat for coyote hunting ...... and is nearly as effective.

There is no doubt that the steel will kill them most of the time if not always, but they are going to have be close, very close. There are better choices, personally I would not try it.

Quote:
HCS, Steel works great on Yotes. There is a prior post with some input from myself, Pack Wolf and Tka250 on the effectiveness of steel on yotes. Just use the "search" function for my username and it is the post for 2 3/4" shells.

You'll here a lot from the ney sayers against steel because they haven't tried it, are poor judge of distance, haven't patterned their guns or plan old poor shots.

Wack n stack

Jerry

Well I am one of the naysayers. I have tried about a box and a half and the results werent good. I have a range finder so judge of distance is out and I always pattern my gun. Oh yeah and Im sure you have never made a poor shot. I dont reccomend steel to anybody never have never will.

I prefer to have the Yotes under 50 yds. and if in doubt double tap.

This is why America is so great. We can all have our own experinces and opinions. That's probably how Obama got into office........Ouch!

Good Hunt'n

Jerry

Quote:

Or... it could be because they didn't have good results with it. Or... maybe because there are so many BETTER choices available they didn't want to waste time, money, or risk wounding an animal with steel when the other options are so easily procured. Just a thought… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

What Song Dog Assasin says +.
If it is permited, why mess with steel shot when lead shot will do a much better job. I don't understand why anyone would want to use steel shot.

Ive laid the smackdown on greys using 3" Black Could steel no problem. I shot about 40 yrds and they were DOA!
I bought steel shot to use this year becasue they are much cheaper then a box of 4 shot, and they are moving faster. Im not posinting people either way, but with a head on shot Ive had no bad luck using it.

I dont even like steel shot for waterfowl. I pay extra for HeviSteel or HeviShot because of how poor steel performs. Waterfowlers dont use steel because of how great it is. Lead would be the optimal choice if the law allows.

Back