Jackrabbit problems

The jackrabbits are comming back around here and I can't keep them out of my traps. A couple of days ago I checked a line of 8 sets in this area and 4 either had rabbits or what was left of rabbits in them. In all I think that I caught 10 jackrabbits this week. It makes it a little though to catch coyotes. Any advice is welcome. Mabey a lure that rabbits don't like?

Thats a tough one.The only thing I can think of that I would honestly try,even though it sounds stupid.Start setting two traps at each place.So if a rabbit gets caught in one you still have one left so when a coyote comes along to eat the rabbit you caught it will step on the other one.Other than that I guess just start shootin as many jackrabbits as you can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I had two on my last check over this way, too. I don't know what's attracting them to the sets. I would think with coyote gland lure they'd run the other way, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Quote:
I had two on my last check over this way, too. I don't know what's attracting them to the sets. I would think with coyote gland lure they'd run the other way, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

whats attracting them is the fact that your gland lure has urine in it and the jacks are coming to it for the salt. start using a lure without urine and you'll stop catching jacks and will start getting the yotes. go to a call lure and bait, your yote catch will go up. good luck and happy trapping.

Had that problem a few years back and I just increased the pan tension about a pound. Problem did not go away completley but alot less. I will see if I can find the picture of half a rabbit in one of my traps, never did catch what ate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back