1 Stand, 1 Hard Charging Bobcat

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I managed to get in one stand this evening. I went to a place that is close to home, but is only 35 acres. This place has produced 3 coyotes in the past. The first time I called it year before last, it produced a double and the watermelon eating coyote from this summer was only a few hundred yards from here on the adjacent property. I try to only hit every few months when I don't have time to go anywhere else.

Anyway, this evening I had time for 1 or 2 stands at the most, and decided to hit it. When I pulled up in the driveway, I saw the landowner (who works out of town construction) was home, and I talked to him for a few minutes. He got on the tractor and I slipped back behind his house and set up.

I set the caller out about 50 yards or so in front and a little to the right, the sun was at my back (as was the house) and the wind was in my face.

I started the foxpro on lightning jack and started my stopwatch. After about a minute I caught movement charging from the cutover about 100 yards to my left.

2catstand11-08.jpg

(The cat came from the cut over on the other side of the fence and crossed the 50 yards or so of pasture at a run, only stopping twice, once just before he hit the fence.)

At first I thought coyote, but then realized it was a cat. I had to move my sticks to the left, but some small brush in front of me was snagging my sticks. The cat stopped for a second, and then came on. Just before crossing the fence row, she stopped, but there was a pine tree between us. I had to move my sticks back right, and then she was coming again.

Here is looking straight into the wind. The caller was just to the right of the picture.

catstand11-08.jpg

(Se was 28 steps from me, just past the shadow between the end of my gun barrel and the fence row.)

She crossed the fence, and then stopped and looked right at me. She must have caught some movement, but she was already dead before she could figure out what it was. She never even twitched when the 60 v-max hit her.

I make a quick look around, and then glanced at my watch. 2 minutes and 44 seconds, and it was now around 4:30 pm.

I let it play a few more minutes and switched to coyote pup distress and then back to lightning jack. I hoped for a coyote or something, but noting else showed. 10 minutes after the shot, my cell phone started vibrating, so I ended the stand and took the call.

Here is a view from where the cat fell looking back to my position under the oak tree.

3catstand11-08.jpg

You can see the sun was over my right shoulder and the house was right past the far tree line a few hundred yards away.

This was a good sized female and weighed 17.5 pounds by my digital scale.

bobcat11-08.jpg

The 60 v-max made a pin hole in and very small hole out. At first I couldn't even find it, until the blood finally started running out.

Last edited:
Good job Sean! No wonder you don't mess with long stands. Heck, only takes you 2 minutes to call bobcats. lol! Congrats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Congrats no the cat. I have found that with the .223 vmax bullets its a dice roll on whether you're going to have serious pelt damage or not.

Quote:
I have found that with the .223 vmax bullets its a dice roll on whether you're going to have serious pelt damage or not.

I have not had what I would call serious pelt damage on anything with them yet. Unless you hit the edge on a coyote, it usually doesn't exit. It did exit on one hog, and I am still trying to figure that out.

I like the 60-max, but the Black Hills is dang hard to find short of odering it, and then they are usually out.

Nice looking cat.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You do own a shotgun don't you??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
You do own a shotgun don't you???

Isn't that what you shoot birds with? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do take one for really tight sets. The last time I took it, I wished I had the rifle.

Just so you know I do own one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shotgun2-06.jpg

Awe yes the good ol 870.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good story and pics. Wish our Bob season was a little longer around here. Dosen't start until the middle of Dec. The snow is usually pretty deep by then and lots of my favorite areas are a very tough hunt for an old guy...

nice going sean. i bought a savage predator 223 the other day. for night calling bobcat's. i bought two box's vmax's 55 gr. forgot i had two box's of the Red black Hill's 60gr v max's. then i have thee of the 68gr match hollow point's. they have the 60 gr at our cabelas. like your setup's. hope to see you at the predatormaster's hunt. was a fun hunt even in the Rain and sleat. Rick

Nice. I have never had a bobcat come on the run. That would be cool. What load are you using with the 60 grain Vmax?

That is a really nice lookin cat.I cant wait for December 1st so I can get out and see if I cant get a few.
Im fixin to order a .223 so I'll have to keep those 60gr. V-Maxes in mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
What load are you using with the 60 grain Vmax?

Factory Black Hills.

Quote:
I have never had a bobcat come on the run.

I have had several that came on the run. I killed one once with a shot gun at the 1 minute mark. That particular cat was small (12 pounds if I remember right) and the second cat of the morning in 4 stands.

I have killed quite a few in under 4 minutes.

You know deer season is still open, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You do this to me every year! When I really need to be concentrating on putting meat in the freezer you get me to wanting to go call something up! Your killin' me!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Back