Virginia callers having any luck

Flyrod, We have a few orchards we can go in and yes there always good for a few reds. As far as the yotes though we have seen more so far this year while deer hunting than we have in the past 5 years of calling. With any luck it should be a heck of a year.

TJ

Went out last night and made three stands. First two were dry, and on the third stand we called up a grey using L. Jack at vol. 18. This is my first grey fox for this season. It was killed in a field of heavy corn stubble bordering a rough overgrown area. I'm surprised we didn't see any reds at all last night.
F1

Smoked my first grey for the season Nov 28th. It was a cold,silent,moonless night...perfect!. Seems like the cold weather has finally turned them on around here.

I have been calling a lot lately and have come up empty every time. As well, I'm not seeing coyote droppings as I did last year and the year before. Gets frustrating after a while, but I still try. I've had good success with bobcats in the last few years, but nothing this year. Go figure.

Went out this morning, Figured it would be a good morning being 18 degrees. Made 5 stands unfortunatly the only thing called in was a redtail hawk. If nothing else it was pretty cool watching the hawk come down on the decoy, I thought the woodpecker was a gone for sure.

TJ

Fur down! Put down a beautiful WV grey on Nov 28th. Really strange...after dozens of stands with nothing to show, this one ran in with out a care. It has been tough so far this year, but I'm looking forward to the rough weather in January and February.

Blueridgeboy and I went to a new place last night(Sat.) that from multiple sources is supposed to be lousy with coyotes. The place has not been hunted and looked very promising. The wind was right, light snow falling, and we made four really good stands. Never even saw a canine eye the whole evening!! Five does came in to investigate on the last stand, and those were the only critters seen for the night! Not even a stinkin' fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Somebody's bad luck is starting to rub off! Y'all can keep it to yourselves!!!
F1

I'm going to start this weekend. I have saw several yotes, foxes and a few bobcats have been seen where I'll be hunting saturday. I had a great season last year I hope this year will be better.

Cooper,
There's some bad juju coming from somewhere! The only thing I can think of is the bad karma of a fox I missed the Sat. night(150yd head shot when it stopped) before.....AND the one I missed at less than 50' while deer hunting this Sat. at a little after 10:00am! I had come down the tree and secured my stand, when I noticed a red out in the pasture around 225-250yds away. I cranked the Leupy up to 10x anticipating a 200yd+ shot, and cranked on the S. Tweety. There were some large oaks and a small roll in the pasture between me and the fox, and I never saw it after I started calling..........UNTIL, it was 25 yards from me coming straight on! When it came through the fence it was below the bench I was on, and it had to jump up around three feet to be visible from my level. The fox popped up at less than 50 feet and all I saw was a very blurry orange face in the scope! When my brain said squeeze the trigger with the crosshairs in the middle of the orange blob, the fox's brain must have said "DUCK" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif a few nanoseconds before.....the result was a 130 NBT going between it's ears....nothing but air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
All I saw was the flick of it's tail dropping off the bench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif and gone!
I must be getting paid back for wrecking havoc on the red fox population over the past few years, go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
F1

I'm from Halifax Virginia and haven't had much luck with the yotes yet. As for foxes, we have seen and taken a few in. I'm kind of new to this predator hunting thing, but im getting the swing of things. Pretty much around here if you call close to river you will more than likely see a coyote but getting him out into the field or close enough is a different story for me. Me and my buddies have a bad habit of whispering "SHOOT HIM" louder than if we were to actually talk normal when we see one. If that makes any sense. I guess its just us getting to excited. Its fun either way though.

Quote:
I'm sorry Flyrod1 but it's not rubbing of me because I still got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

C'mon Cooper you did at least see three fox Friday night, so your luck isn't ALL bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last Friday was the best hunt I've had this year even if Sonny (Pruson)did miss that easy shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for having us down. We had a great time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Easy shot, it was running at night and I was using a scoped rifle, and the individual operating the Lightforce was over there double dribbling it on the ground, bouncing the thing all over the woods and foodplot and the fox.

Yes, it's true, I am human, I do miss one occassionally under those conditions, but not very often.

Now let's talk about that coyote that you threw lead at last night. I had him lit up standing dead still out in the open field, 40 yds from you, and you waited till he was hauling butt into the woods to shoot. What's up with that. A coyote is a lot bigger than a little gray fox.

With the two afternoons I've gone I have had pretty good luck. Last Saturday afternoon I made 3 and 1/2 stands (never got to finish one stand due to the batteries died in my caller). I called in two greys. Missed the first one but I was able to connect on one after replacing the batteries.

This afternoon I went back to the same place and made three stands. First stand I called in a grey after about 15 minutes of calling. Killed a female at 20 yards. On the second stand I saw a grey come towards me after 5 minutes of calling then it turned around when it got about 60-70 yards from me. I don't know why it turned. It was upwind from me and I was leaning against a stump and a tree. I waited another 15 min. but never saw it again. On the third stand I called in a grey male after only 2 minutes of calling. Killed it at only 6 steps from me. All three were called in today using cottontail distress.

200812-131.jpg

Remington SP10, FoxPro XR6

Man last night was slow. We went to Sussex county and the moon was so bright we almost didnt need a light. What is it with a full bright moon and predator hunting? Is it bad for everyone or what? The wind was dead and we called on 4 stands. We didnt see an eye until the last stand. I called in a cat. We had to call in some uncut soybeans and the cat came all the way across the field un detected. He got within 60yds and busted us. I stopped him and my nephew missed him with some dead coyote shot. Hear comes the rain so it will be a while before I go back out. Still waiting on my NEW Foxpro Fury.

Back