female vocalizations... responses

nightwatchman

something donned on me last night that i had not paid much attention to until now.. most of my stands i start out with an interrogational howl(typically just in the winter months) then wait a few minutes and go to a distress sound.
last night i done this but threw a lone female howl in between the interrogational howl and the distress sound.

within 30 sec. of turning on the distress sound i had a coyote come in from my left, which was probably already on its way before i started the distress sound. (i missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) but something donned on me after making that stand.

last year i used the female invitational howl alot with great success along with the female howls and other female vocalizations. and the month of january last year i called in more coyotes then i had ever before.

imho, it seems like the coyotes hear the female howl or hear the presence of a female in the area and are quick to respond or feel its safe to approach. most of my calling scenerios have always had the female approach first when running in pairs. (same with foxes, the female will come charging in first followed by the male about 50 yards or so behind her) same thing with deer for you deer hunters... the does seem to lead and the bucks follow...

it just seems like the males tend to let the females do the leading and they feel safe to follow so if you throw a few female vocalizations out there it might up your chances of getting a response?????? or am i thinking out of my head or is it worth considering??????

'had a coyote come in from my left, which was probably already on its way before i started the distress sound. (i missed )"

You missed again with the red dot!
What distance?

Ok so tell me how to get the female invitation & some kind of female challenge(???) howls on to my new to me Foxpro 416b? It only has #0 Coyote Locator (yipping and yapping) #1 Interrogation Howl, #2 Male Challenge, #3 Pup distress, #4 Coyote/Rabbit, then a bunch of prey sounds, that is it for coyote vocalizations.

I think you are on to something because for deer you are exactly right. The females lead the way. Kind of like sending the troops to charge the machine gun position then the senior officers move forward when most of the shooting is done and the smoke has cleared. Don't Lions let the females do all the work too and just claim and defend the territory?

Man if only I could get my wife on this program I could just hunt and wouldn't have to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let me know on how to get the female howls. Great idea!

You are very much right about the female inv. but you just give me the idea to try it before Jan. I used it last jan. and feb. and let me tell you it works great, I have never considered any other time ,but now things are going to change for Dec. Thanks NIGHTWATCHMAN for putting the idea in my head for Dec. !

virginia, that miss with the red dot was the same one (he was on my left when i shot at him but he had came from behind us)...(from the predator hunting section) that happened yesterday but the whole female thing was from yesterdays hunt that got me thinking.
i generally only used the invitational howl in jan/feb. or starting in late dec.
the new fx5 i purchased has a female howl on it. i figured it couldnt hurt to use it a few minutes after the interrogational howl. the coyote i called in last night was a rather large dog.. i assumed from the size that it was a healthy male.

now im not stupid i know this female vocalizations thing isnt going to work all the time but it was just a thought i had about the way they behave. this was one of the first things my dad taught me fox hunting some 16/17 yrs ago.. we had called a pair in one night and when he shot the first one i went to grab it and he grabbed my jacket and told me to put the light back where i had the female come from.. sure enough here came the male... he told me the male would almost always follow the female.why would it be any different for the coyotes.. i know out west it might be alittle different but you see in some videos where the male will hold up and tend to watch the female go ahead.. basically gets a feel of whether its safe.. so if a coyote hears a lone female in the area where he's at, why wouldnt he be intrigued to go check it out.
its just something i was thinking about.. whether i made any sense or not... it was just me rambling...

Last edited:
Back