Tried my hand at trapping.

TonyTebbe

I haven't trapped since I was in highschool, 22 years ago. I've had a dozen snares in my shop for a number of years and decided to give my hand at setting some. My buddy Scott and I put 9 snares out and caught these 2 coons and a skunk on our first attempt. The skunk decided not to come home with me, but these two are getting skinned out.

trappedcoons1.jpg

trappedcoons2.jpg

I forgot how much fun it was checking traps.

Tony

I did a lot of trapping back in Michigan but we weren't allowed to use snares. Seems like you could really pile up the fur that way.

Awesome stuff.Its illegal to use snares in Oklahoma too but they look like they'll do the trick for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I just hope I dont find any skunks in my traps this year.I had good luck about not having any in my traps last year but I have a feeling my good luck is going to run out one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Way to go Tony! I am laying out my first string of snares this weekend as well. I had a boxtrap out the other night and caught a bobtailed feral cat. Meanest cat I've ever seen. We're hoping to catch some coons.

Nice coons, Tony. If coon prices hold up like last year, those should fetch a fair price. I just ran my coyote line today and picked up a nice male....I also had two jackrabbits and three toes off another coyote. All four catches were in Bridgers and I only have 4 Bridgers out. I might have to switch over all Bridgers if this keeps up. About a month to go until bobcat season opens!

Thanks for the comments guys. I never weighed the coons, but they were definately heavy. Heavier than most TX coyotes, carrying back to the truck.

Mike, I hope you clean house on cats this season. A man could make a fair living working those cats over there.

Tony

Here are the two coons skinned out. I put a Mt Dew bottle in the picture to show size comparison. They really were big coons.

coonskinned.jpg

Tony

Nice work Tony.
I've allways wanted to try trapping. Don't know anyone around here that does it that I could go with. I may have to start doing some research /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif A good friend of mine traps but he works day shift. He is a local fur buyer too.

Back