Tough yote,Bad shot or Bad Bullets?

OKRattler, Sorry I wasn't paying much attention to the bullet you were using. I don't have any experience using a 45 gr out of the 204. I have been using the 32 gr v-max with good results. You know a porky is probably just as hard oe harder to kill than a coyote IMO. We used to kill quite a few back in the 70's, don't see very many any more up here. They just don't have enough sense to die.

Last edited:
I sold my 204 because I had just that problem even the 35 gr bergers produced alot of runners with no blood trail (due to no exit hole). Some of the runners I actually felt bad for because thay had huge entrance holes and sometimes there insides were dragging behind them as they ran. Im sure it was just my shooting but going back to a 223 and a 17 remington solved the problem. I just received a reamer in the mail today for the 17 predator so Im going to be giving that a try.

Oh thats alright.I've seen close to 50 porcupines in the past year so we definately have a good population of them.I started seeing porcupines so much that I finally just quit killin them because I was wasting all of my .204 bullets on them.For some reason the .17HMR was pretty good porcupine medicine as well as my 12gauge.I had alot of trouble killing them with a .22lr also but thats about normal.Your right though porcupines are really tough critters as well.They really arent the brightest animals on the planet either,as you also mentioned.Another critter that I shot that was DRT with the .45gr SP's was an armadillo.I forgot about that ugly bugger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gotchanow-I was thinkin about buying a .17 centerfire of some kind but every one of them that I looked at was a little out of my price range.Maybe I'll own one of them one of these days though.I dont think the bullets that I shot that coyote with the other day made very big exit holes but it was sure bleedin alot.I felt bad for the one that got away from me as well but dang man I tryed the best I could to knock it over but it just kept going.When I made an attempt to get close enough to shoot it with my .22 pistol it saw me and ran up over the hill.It stopped a few times before it was out of sight and at one point it layed there and I figured it might give up the ghost but no such luck.As I got within about 150 yards of it thats when it decided to run on over the hill and I never saw it again.

If you had complete penetration and alot of blood I would say it was just a bad hit. If any bullet, arrow, pellet, knife, sword or anything else that could penetrate that coyote went all the way through vital organs hes not gonna be going very far.

Yeah your probably right.The one that I thought should have killed it was when I hit it through the shoulders on the first shot and the second hit was a little far back and the third one hit him in the leg so that was a really bad shot.There was several times when I was pretty sure the yote was done for because he would kind of rest for a while and when I would get a little closer it would take off runnin again.I should have just stopped walking towards it and let it lay there and maybe he would have died but its hard tellin.I wish I wouldnt have ever shot at it to begin with now but thats the way it goes sometimes I guess.

alot of things can happen to that bullet after it strikes a shoulder generally I try to avoid the shoulder you have to remember your not shooting large caliber bonded bullets what you are shooting are small fast and fragile at the velocity you are shooting them that shoulder can deflect that bullet all over the place.

Alright I'll remember that.I really wish I would have recovered that yote so I could at least see what kind of damage those bullets are doing.Im gonna try again tomorrow with the same bullets one last time and see if I cant get one on the ground so I can check it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back