Tough yote,Bad shot or Bad Bullets?

OKRattler

Yesterday I decided to try and call in a yote or two so I gathered up all my stuff and headed out.Well I got to where I was gonna call and decided to sit up on a hill and try my luck there.As I topped the hill I saw 3 coyotes on another hill 300 yards from where I was.Well 2 of the coyotes saw me I guess because they went over the hill and I never saw them again.I was standing up and everything and the third yote never saw me.I didnt know if I should start calling or what so I just layed down and waited to see what would happen.I waited and to my suprise the remaining yote was walking straight towards me.I got my binoculars out and started looking around and I saw what the coyote was after.A big jackrabbit was lying about 100 yards back towards me.The coyote walked within 20 yards of the jackrabbit and just stood there lookin at it.By this time the coyote was 200 yards from me and I figured it was'nt going to get any closer so I decided to drop it of course.I only had 3 shells with me because we havent got around to loading anymore of them up.I kind of figured I would drop it on the first if not the second shot.I was wrong,I shot and saw dust fly off of his shoulder and automatically heard the yote yelping so I cycled the bolt and got a fresh round ready to go.By this time the yote was quartering away from me.He got about 50 yards before I squeezed the trigger again....THUMP.That one was right behind his front left shoulder but it didnt drop.The yote started spinning around trying to bite his shoulder.I cycled the bolt again and again I put another round downrange to try and put the yote down.This shot was bad and hit it in the front right leg.I was down to 0 bullets and only had my .22 pistol left with 6 bullets in it.So I started walking down to the spinning coyote.When it saw me walking towards it the darn thing started running like it didnt have a hole in it.It ran right up over the hill where its buddys had been just minutes before.I cant for the life of me figure out how a critter can take 3 bullets,2 of which are solid hits and still run off.Am I a bad shot,was it a tough coyote,or do I need to switch bullets,or whats the deal?I was shooting a Howa .204 using 45gr. softpoint bullets.Im pretty sure I made solid hits on that yote.What do ya'll use in your .204's?I want to drop em' dead in their tracks but I dont wanna blow them to peices either.That is the second time I seen one get away after taking a hit with those 45gr SP's so Im thinkin I need to hit the next one with something different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Thats the reason i got rid of my 204. Just didnt seem to preform like i wanted. If theres a little bigger hole and the yote is DRT you may have to do a little patch work. But if you shoot him and he runs off and cant find him you have no fur. I would rather have fur with a hole as to no fur at all. I was shooting the v-max bullets. It killed the yote but i still had to walk about 80yrds or more to find him. Have yet had to look for one with my 243 shooting 55gr silver ballistic tips.

Yeah Im thinkin about buying a new rifle here before too long.I cant make up my mind between a .223 or a .22-250 but Im leaning towards the .22-250.On the other hand the .223 would be alot cheaper to shoot.But I agree with ya I would rather have a fur to stitch up rather than no fur at all.I just cant beleive it took that much damage and kept on going like that.The gun Im shootin right now is my uncles gun so I could give it back to him and trade him for a better coyote caliber I guess.I dont know what to do really.I have the feeling that Im going to be a nervous wreck when I go to shoot the next yote though.I dont even wanna squeeze the trigger if I have the feeling that Im gonna wound the critter Im shootin at.I'd like to keep shootin the .204 but if it aint gonna kill critters any better than that I dont.Bobcat season is 2 weeks away or somewhere along those lines and if that happens with a bobcat I will be more than mad.I'll probably invite everyone from the site to come to my house and punch me right square in the face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just kiddin but I dont want that to happen again.And I shouldnt blame the .204 I guess.I was the one doing the shootin.Maybe I should get some V-Maxes and bust a yote with one....or three /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif of those and see if it does any better.

bummer, coyotes can be a strong animals. Last year I hit one with my dodge 1500 going 55 miles an hour. I stopped thinking it would be mush and to my shock it was still up and moving dragging two legs. I think I am going to have to switch to a ford F250. I wish you could have found it to see where it was hit. I know a few guys who love their .204s. I would get a 250 if you want more gun, the .223 is not enough of a step up IMHO and is no longer realy that much cheaper to shoot. Infact it seems to be much easier to get 22-250 rounds around here.

I have had that happen with the 40 V-max and the 39 Blitzking. I started using 40 Bergers and they have all went right down, but I need to shoot a few more to really feel good about that bullet.

Like Deerhunterjj my 243 has never let me down. 5 yards is the farthest any have gone after the Speer 70gr TNT enters them. About 40% of the time I have to sew up some big holes but that doesn't take long and when done right you can't tell it was there.

its tuff sorting out the advice you get on here, I am convinced some just repeat what they hear. Picking a bullet for yote hunting isn't just a matter of shooting whatever. you will have some guys tell you their 40grn vmax is killing dogs out of their 22-250 with authority, anyone telling you this IMO does not know what they are talking about.

my experience is with the 22-250, I had surface splashs and blow ups with 50grn vmaxs' at 3850, I got more penetration but still a few blow ups with 50grn berger match bullets, I have since switched to the sierra 1365 55grn SP these are a much tougher bullet than anything I have used, its been getting the penetration I need, the 4 dogs I have shot with it, have flopped around for a few seconds, so the kills weren't as dramatic as some I have seen, but the dog never moved more than a couple feet, exits where prolly the size of a quarter, which is fine with me. this is only 4 yotes I have shot with it, so I am still somewhat in the testing phase, but I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

the problem with the 204 as I see it is you are moving a lighter bullet considerably faster than even my 22-250 can. if I had all the problems in the 22-250 the 204 will be even way worse. you have less jacket and less lead core to get the job done, pushed to even more explosive speeds. its not gonna be pretty. they don't make tougher bullets like the gameking for the 204, so until they offer something else IMO the 204 is a poor choice for coyotes.

Quote:
I cant make up my mind between a .223 or a .22-250 but Im leaning towards the .22-250.

I have both and prefer the .223 but either one is perfectly acceptable. Since I like to keep my shots under 200, the .223 performs great and I can usually see the bullet hit thru the scope.

Quote:
I would get a 250 if you want more gun, the .223 is not enough of a step up

I have to disagree. The .223 is a much more versatile round than the .204. Since the .204 is a relatively new round it is very limited on the bullet choices. When you shoot a very light, thin-jacketed bullet at .204 velocities you will get surface splashes. With the .223 you can shoot the really light bullets up to 70+ grain bullets. IMO the .223 is a great choice for a coyote gun.

In my opinion, a .223 loaded with a 52 grain Sierra Blitz King is really an effective load for coyote, much more potent than a .204, especially at longer ranges. A .204 is not simply a necked down .223.

Ok... I've donned my flame suit... so I'm ready to tackle this question. The .204, .223, and .22-250 are all in the same class as far as I'm concerned. That class is called "Sub-Par Coyote Rounds." Yeah, yeah... I know... "this dude kills 100+ coyotes a year and shoots a .17"... great... but that's like saying a .243 is the end-all be-all of deer rifles. They work, but they're not the best choice for the majority of situations you'll encounter on a hunt. Most guys who've dealt with hundreds of coyotes know that any of the 6mms are FAR superior to the .17, .20, and .22 centerfires... FAR superior. Coyotes are tough man... the toughest critters I've hunted, and while they may not always require a stick that has some thump... I'd rather have and not need... than need and not have. Instead of going up a little to a .22-250... why not step up to the plate with bat capable of handling any pitch a coyote might throw you?

Now, all that being said... I've seen 100s of coyotes killed with .22 centerfires, and I've killed a couple with the .204. Given the choice I'd take a .22-250 over any other option that doesn't start with a 6 (or .25!!). But, shot placement will trump caliber 9 times out of 10... and coyotes will let you know rather quickly if the shot placement is poor, especially with small rounds.

I have had the very same problems with my .204. The 32 grain Vmaxes are just to light and going to fast IMHO. The 39 Grain SBK's have had too many runners for me.

I switched to the 40 grain Vmaxes for the .204 and the very first dog I shot with it was last weekend and he moved 10 feet tops from where I shot him, so at least it is far more promising. Read this threadhttp://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52980047&an=0&page=0#52980047

seem to be a lot of happy folks with the bergers. If I get even one runner on a shot I felt was a great hit with the vmaxes I will try the Bergers and if those do not work then the .204 is going to be sold and I will go back to the .223 for yotes. I have had more coyotes run and that have been lost with the .204 THIS YEAR than I have lost coyotes in all my yote hunting years combined. I have been very disappointed in it's effectiveness on dogs.

SalemDawger-Yes sir they are very tough animals.I would definately step up to a Ford F250 if I were you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I wish I would have recovered that yote so I could have seen where I hit it too.I could so blood all over its shoulder through the scope so I know it was hit pretty good at least once.For some reason it seems like the .223 hits a little harder to me but I could be wrong.A buddy of mine shoots a .223 and he's knocked every coyote he shot with it down so Im not sure.He shoots HP's out of his,not sure what grain those bullets are though.
trapshooter-Im not real sure about that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
RandyDB-Thanks I'll have to see if my grandpa has any 40gr. Bergers and try them out.I have some 40gr.V-Maxes right now too.I just think that those Hornady 45.gr SP's are punchin holes right through the yote and not really doing much to the insides of it.The pelt might be in good shape but it dont do me no good if the dadgum coyote's carryin it off.
A buddy of mine shoots a .243 somtimes and they will knock the snot out of a coyote but man they tear them up something fierce.My uncle has one that Im sure he would let me borrow but Im gonna be doing alot of bobcat calling here before to long and I'd hate to make a mess of one of those critters.
steve garrett-Thanks for all the info.My uncle shoots a 22-250 and they will flatten a coyote no problem at all.I've seen that round take coyote after coyote and have yet to see one get up and run away.He loaded some 32gr.(I think) Varmint Grenades and we might try them out this year.He really hasnt torn up any of the yotes he's shot with the V-Maxes.They have all been in pretty good shape.On the outside at least but Im not sure what grain of bullet he's shooting but I can ask him.
NM HighPlains-I've seen and heard good things about the .223 so Im really thinkin that might be the caliber for me.The farthest I will attempt to kill a yote is 300 yards at the most so will the .223 get the job done from that far?Or would I need the 22-250 for that kind of shootin?But the majority of my shots are within 100-150 yards so Im confident that a .223 could get the job done most of the time.
cjg beef and possumal-I think ya'll are right about the .223 being a good coyote caliber.Im really wantin to give the .204 a few more chances with a different type of bullet before I decide to quit using it though but when its time to buy a new rifle I'll keep that in mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

OKRattler - the 45gr SP in your 204 will work just fine.

A bad hit is a bad hit. Sunday my partner was shooting a 6MM WOA and I was shooting a 25WSSM.
The coyote was coming in and he woofed to stop it. Made a bad hit too far back and the coyote went down anyway.
Then it wsa back up and running, his next shot took off a front leg. Down it went and then back up running again.
I shot it with the 25 and down it went. When we walked out to it, the coyote was still alive. I had only taken a chunk out of its neck.

Bad hit is a bad hit no matter the caliber.

The rest of the coyotes we shot that day never took a step, but the 204 will work with good shot placement.

At least 30 of the coyotes I shot last season were with my 204 and 7 of the cats.
Not all were killed in thier tracks, but only one coyote was lost.
I am shooting 35gr bergers and so far it has been real easy on cats. That is what I bought the 204 upper for.

Bottom line - I would shoot a few more coyotes with the 45gr SP before you write it off.

Regards
Kelly

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok... I've donned my flame suit... so I'm ready to tackle this question. The .204, .223, and .22-250 are all in the same class as far as I'm concerned. That class is called "Sub-Par Coyote Rounds." Yeah, yeah... I know... "this dude kills 100+ coyotes a year and shoots a .17"... great... but that's like saying a .243 is the end-all be-all of deer rifles. They work, but they're not the best choice for the majority of situations you'll encounter on a hunt. Most guys who've dealt with hundreds of coyotes know that any of the 6mms are FAR superior to the .17, .20, and .22 centerfires... FAR superior. Coyotes are tough man... the toughest critters I've hunted, and while they may not always require a stick that has some thump... I'd rather have and not need... than need and not have. Instead of going up a little to a .22-250... why not step up to the plate with bat capable of handling any pitch a coyote might throw you?

Now, all that being said... I've seen 100s of coyotes killed with .22 centerfires, and I've killed a couple with the .204. Given the choice I'd take a .22-250 over any other option that doesn't start with a 6 (or .25!!). But, shot placement will trump caliber 9 times out of 10... and coyotes will let you know rather quickly if the shot placement is poor, especially with small rounds.

Wow! I want whatever it is you're smoking!

First, in response to OKRattler's question, try the 40 grain Nosler BalTip.

Now....from a guy who really has killed hundreds of coyotes and many of them with a 243 then a 22-250 I would take the 22-250 or the 220 Swift over the 243, 6mm Rem or the 204 any day if we're strictly talking about predators. Yes.....the 6mm's are good coyote killers but IMO the higher end 22 centerfires do a better job. Most times even a bad hit is a clean kill.

Bullet splash is a big problem with many bullets moving at high velocity and I had trouble with it when I got my first 22-250 in the late 60's. I settled on the Sierra 52 gr BTHP loaded to about 3750 fps and it took care of the problem. Last year and this I've been shooting the 52 grain Berger Match Varmint and I don't think they kill as efficiently but they still do a good job. I plan to go back to the Sierras.

So far my experience with the 204 is limited but I took advice from a friend who's tried a bunch of other bullets and settled on the 40 grain Noslers. He's killed in the neighborhood of 60 coyotes with the bullet and I killed my first one with it a few weeks ago. No bullet splash and the dog went right down.

I see these threads all of the time and immediately there are a bunch of guys jumping in who all have the answer. Many of them only sit behind their keyboard and repeat the advice or "knowledge" they've gained from another set of guys who do exactly the same thing.

Quote:

Wow! I want whatever it is you're smoking!

Now....from a guy who really has killed hundreds of coyotes and many of them with a 243 then a 22-250 I would take the 22-250 or the 220 Swift over the 243, 6mm Rem or the 204 any day if we're strictly talking about predators. Yes..... . Most times even a bad hit is a clean kill.

That's freakin hysterical... a better job? HAAAAAAAAAAAA.

By the way... you're from Oregon... I'm here in WA... if you want to put your money where your mouth is... and your keyboard is... I'll meet you half way, and we can judge for ourselves? If you're shooting coyotes in Eastern OR... then you know it doesn't take long to rack-up some serious numbers, so lets not discount everyone who says they've seen a couple hundred coyotes go down.

Last edited:
OKRattler - I'd have to guess that you made bad hits. I think that 45 gr. gives about as good of penetration as any off the shelf .204 ammo. Better, I'd say, than the Vmax.

Anything is possible, but I think if you made even one really solid hit with that round, you would have collected that coyote. Coyotes are tough, but they aren't supernatural. Hit them where it counts, and they die. It's really that simple. So I'm going to guess you just got unlucky with the shot placement.

- DAA

CAT DADDY COLD-I cant argue with you there.I aint gonna give up the the .204 just yet.I just found two more SP's that I had put in a box of Hornady 40gr. V-Maxes.I also have a box of Remington 32gr Accutip bullets but my gun was sighted in with the 45gr. SP's so the other bullets are hitting all over the place.I'll give the SP's one more try and if that dont kill the yote Im gonna try the V-Maxes or the Accutips and if those dont work Im gettin a 223.I'll definetly keep those Berger bullets in mind the next time Im out at my grandpas house and I'll see if he has any for me to try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
CWeeks-Im kind of dissapointed in how the .204 has performed so far as well but I havent shot alot of coyotes with this round so I gotta give it a few more goes before I give up and get another caliber.I just dont know if those SP's are opening up or what the deal is.Like I said thats the second yote I've seen get up and run away after takin a hit from one of them.But Im willing to give it another shot.Next time the yotes gonna have a hole in its head instead of its body Im thinkin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
pk1-I'll remember the Nosler 40gr. BalTip as well.Im gonna have to start takin notes.Ok the 35gr. Bergers,40gr. Bergers,and 40gr. BalTips have been suggested.The 40 gr. V-Maxes have been mentioned too and I already have some of those so Im in business in that department.I just gotta go sight my gun in with those bullets now because if I shoot them out of it like it is now I will lose alot of coyotes for sure.I wont have to worry about the yote being wounded though because I'll miss it completely.

DAA-Your probably right as much as I hate to admit it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
It sure sounded like I was knockin the heck out of it but I cant make any excuses.
I just gotta try it again and hopefully next time I'll do better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

OkRattler- If your not sure if shot placement was the culprit on a stationary coyote, I wouldn't suggest head shots. Miss there and the coyote might run off missing half his jaw!
I'd shoot for those center mass organs.

Ryan

Back