17 hmr

rnream

What is a good round for the 17 hmr? What is the farthest range anyone who knows would recommend. Coyotes, fox, bobcat... Appreciate the info.

well, the standard is a 17 grain ballistic tip type. Hornady, Federal, and remington use this type ( I think theres another or two but I cant remember ) . Then CCI has a " TNT Hollowpoint " pretty cool on squirrels and magpies. Then hornady came out with a 20 grain bullet. Honestly I wouldnt shoot a coyote fox or bobcat anywhere but in the side of the head with a 17 HMR, and I wouldnt feel right about trying it much past 60-65 yards.They just dont have a whole lot of knock down. Basically bullet placement is what its all about. Im sure you could LUCK OUT and CLEANLY kill 50 percent of the above 3 animals out to a hundred yards or so. BSA makes a decent scope calibrated for the 17 and 20 grain bullets. They are surprisingly accurate for the money too.

I agree with coyotedeathangel. I have used a 17hmr on coyote once and she ran over 100 yards before expiring. Never again. The 17 remington, 17 remington fireball, 22 hornet, 204 ruger, and 223 are better choices, and you will be able to dispatch your game right where they stand.

I agree with the two posters above, but not about the scope. I had one of the BSA sweet 17's, and it was TOTAL JUNK. I would not reccomend it or any of the other BSAs.

huh, thats wierd about your scope being junk. Maybe you got one made on a friday or a monday... LOL. I ranged a target at 225 yards with a bushnell 1500, twisted my turret to that range and fired on a floating bird and hit the water right in front of it. Maybe it was just luck but I'd like to think not. The 17 fireball is a nice mid range ( pretty much topped out at 300 yards )cartridge my buddy has one in a rem 700 SPS Varmint, dang that thing is a shooter. 5 shots at 100 yards covered with a dime. Remington factory loads. Hopefully the wind doesnt blow much there, I hated that the worst about my 17 rem. What would be mega sweet is that new savage model 25 .223, but chambered in the fireball. Super light with the savage rep for accuracy.

Back