What do you do for a living?

sandjunky

With this economy it seems everyday I hear of layoffs. I've been in my job for 8 years now and in those 8 years we have had three layoffs. They've already made announcements that there will probably be no raises this year and they just cut OT this week. I guess I'm expecting another layoff within the next few months. Anyway, I was curious what people here do since I haven't seen a layoff post yet.

3rd generation oilfield trash so far our drilling program is still going strong. even with the oil prices dropping back down closer to where they should be.

I work for (PUBLIX) Supermarkets Here in florida, Im one of there Thermo-King,Carrier Refer Machanics.......Been with the company 23 Years, my wife has been with them 34 years..They have Never laid anyone off...You have to (Try) to Even get Fired Here....its that Good of a Company....

Hopefully you wont be Laid off.......Ive been there Before.

Oh and Im a Lightforce Dealer, here in South Florida Also, just in case you dident all-ready Know........

Last edited:
i'm in the custom call bussiness. and recently more into production call's. i made over $12.000 last year paid $400.00 in tax's. not getting Rich but this is what i enjoy.did more advertising this year see if that help's. Rick

I work in the timber industry. I am a Log Lathe Operator at a local plywood plant. The timber industry is in real trouble. Our small town depends on it. One local mill will be closing in December. My wifes brother, and my sisters husband will both lose their jobs. There is also another local mill that is rumored to be closing, but I have not seen anything official. Our company also has a local lumber mill that has been cut back to one shift. We are all holding our breath.

Weaz

Sorry Anthonyr, I forgot to mention what I do. I work for Intel Corporation. I'm a Manufacturing Technician. I get to maintain some pretty cool toolsets used in the semiconductor manufacturing process.

Been working at a gold mine for the last twenty years. I do Non Destructive Testing, Failure Analysis and Weld Inspection. The present economy has not hit the gold mines very hard yet, we are still going strong and hiring quite a few people.

I work in remote alaska at a fish hatchery. Wont be any layoffs up here anytime soon, everyone needs more fish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the pay isn't getting any better though......

Retired LEO...

Since I have my Police Pension and Social Security (both of which I paid dearly for during my working years), and a small annuity, I only do what I want, when I want, and how I want (unless the wife tells me different)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Been in the "Lay Off" lines many years ago... It sucked then and I'm sure even more so now...'cause "pick up" jobs were pretty plentiful then...

I am a professional predator caller... (I wish).

I was a Ford machanic for 15 years and went back to school and got an accounting degree and work for a CPA
firm. I figure I could be the only SAE certified CPA.

Hey rickh2, I work at a place that does lots of work for PUBLIX,I work in a milk factory and we make product for Publix.. The name of my plant is MORNINGSTAR and we also have one in JACKSONVILLE ,FLA.

Like Old Turtle I'm retired, but I live in a county in Idaho that has double digit unemployment. It's looks like it's going to be a tough winter for lots of folks around here. Were mostly a timber industry area and one local sawmill just burnt down and another said they can't compete with foriegn lumber and shut down laying off 80 folks.

I quit working five years ago from long haul trucking.

I am a HVAC technician and fortunately we have stayed pretty busy. I work for a small family owned company and this has probably been our busiest beginning of winter in the last ten years. It seems with the rising costs of home heating alot of people are upgrading to more efficient epuipment. Hope it stays busy.

journeyman hvac tech. Been at the same shop since i graduated high school 13 years ago, started as a helper. Not worried about getting layed off but getting hours has been rough lately. I don't know how much is the economy and how much is the weather. its just too nice outside

Back