RS caller upgrade

My local Walmart doesn't have one and online their out of stock but I'm on a mission. My question is does anybody know a good online source for calling wav files?

Hey guys,
I have to tell all of you this--First night I tried pulling sounds from headphone jack on computer into my RCA 5008 DVR everything worked great. Last night and again today I get a lot of static when using the patch cord method. I also tried pulling sound from my boombox headphone jack with same problem with static. It may be a poor quality dubbing or "patch" cord. I will talk to local electronic experts about that. Anyone else having same problem?

I'm not sure if the cord I used is mono or stereo.....it was just the cord that I saw on here listed for the RS caller. (same part #) I'll let you know how it goes after I get a stereo cord tomorrow.

By the way.....it would be a good idea if people recorded their own various sounds....cleaned out the hissing and popping using Cool Edit or some other program, and trade them to one another in the form of .wav files via e-mail. Just a thought.

Thanks!

rich i have the same thing lots of static just for kicks i tried to record off of the kids cd player so much static i could hardly understand it i have a 6 ft cord from RS if thats what you have we have the same thing i wonder if there is an oriental guy helping me. there is "sum ting wong "here

Jake,
I think that you are on to something there. A "stereo" plug on end of cable that plugs in to the computer, and convert to a "mono" plug on other end. Hmmm, makes sense to me!
smile.gif

Im glad I found these post, I bought a RCA 5007 off ebay last night, and going to get the other accesories this week, do any of you guys think that a car alarm horn would be good enough for the loud speaker? Thanks

The RS stereo to mono adapter did the trick! I still need to do some fine tuning with sound quality, but I have absolutely no static and the sound comes through great. It doesn't sound quite as good as it does playing off of my JS caller, but I recorded from an old Walkman, so I'm sure I could get a better sound using a good stereo system or possibly even dowloading a .wav file off of my pc. Thanks for the advice, guys. It worked like a charm!

Rusty

It seems to me that the 25 watt Radio Shack speaker is bigger than most of us need, and the large plastic cone may be the cause of that hollow sound. Someone here mentioned it sounds like the sound is coming from a cave. LOL Anyway I am going to hook my mid-range Johnny Stewart MS-512 speaker up to this home grown unit and compare sound quality.

I'm getting the same static, no matter what. Used the horn that came with the Phantom. I found a stereo to mono adapter at wally world and it doesn't seem to have much effect either way. Still sounds like... well, you know. I should recieve the RCA 5007 DVR this week and hopefully, won't have the static.

From the way it sounds I musta got lucky from the start. yes I am using an mono/stereo adapter and when I use it I am carefull to place it in the right place that is you want be sure to place the adapter on the right end that means if you have a stereo cable it goes at the recorder if you have a mono cable it goes at the source. I did have a static problem coming from tape, but tinkering with different decks I had handy I found one exceptable, still had a little static, but not noticable when there was audio, so I tried to keep as much of the quiet time out of the recording as possible. the sounds that I pulled from wav's on the computer have zero static. By the way I did record the best yip/howl/distressed animal/growl/bark wav today... I just waited for the wife to hit the shower, slid the mic under the door and me and the youngins flush all the stools in unison...now all I have to do is edit out the sound of running water, and all the curse words, transfer it over to the recorder and bingo.
eek.gif

Yep, it could be the RS speaker that's giving me that hollow sound. I'm going to test it out tonight. I just need to pick up an adapter so that I can plug in the 1/4" plug that's on my JS speaker into the 1/8" hole on the DVR. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

I downloaded all of my sounds into my computer and I know have a good 60 seconds of sound for each call I have saved as a .wav file. I downloaded Goldwave last night....but I'm still figuring out what I need to do to clean up any hissing and improve the overall quality of the sound. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Rusty

If you use goldwave look under effects,then filter, noise reduction,preset shapes has hiss removal and hum reduction. There is also a pop/click under noise reduction.
You can also fade your sound in and out. Put your cursor under the icons and you should be able to find the fade in and out.

Ok, here's what worked for me. Maybe it will help out someone else. I already have the Radio Shack stereo to mono adapter. It went into the line out jack on my computer( or the headphone jack of cassette player, CD, etc..) I used the same 6' mono cord I use to hook up the caller. Plugged it into the mic jack on the DVR. That's all there is to the connection.

I have also been recording in HQ mode, it sounds better to me. Not sure about 'yotes though.

Here's where I think I had a breakthrough. I was originally recording about 30 seconds of silence in front of and after each sequence. It started out ok, but the hiss increased as silence went on, until it was unacceptable. I did some reading in the owners manual ( when all else fails read the directions) and learned this unit has a built in automatic recording level control that adjusts mic sensitivity for optimum recordings. I think since it couldn't hear anything to record it was upping the sensitivity level and that's where I got the hiss.

I have since recorded only a second or two of silence and the recordings have come out excellent.

Hope this helps and wasn't too long.

John

Thanks for the info. on Goldwave. I still need to do some homework (aka: being patient enough to read the directions instead of getting all exciting and just winging it!) LOL! I still need to figure out how to effectively accomplish the following:

1.)Import the .wav file from my C: drive into goldwave, arrange it to my liking, and then re-save it to my C: drive.

2.) possibly use of the fade-in and fade-out option....although I'll probably just use the volume knob on my caller for that.

I'll try to read some directions tonight...I'm sure that could help!

BTW...this board has been invaluable. I appreciate getting the chance to learn from such a nice and innovative group of characters!

Thanks again,

Rusty

Back