RS Amp for ecaller

d2admin

Administrator
For you guys who have put together one of the low-cost systems ith RS parts--can you tell me what you consider to be the preferred/ideal length of cable (I think you refer to it as a patch cord) between your source (whether CD player, walkman, MP3, etc.) and the RS amp? Should that be short, say 1 foot or less, or what? Also, is it a good thing from a convenience standpoint, to have the amp attached via tape or velcro to the player?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Crusader.

I have the 6 foot cord but would like to build a 1 foot cord as the other tends to get all wadded up and tangled. I have thought about velcro to put the cassette to the amp but just haven't done it yet. Still primping and workin' on this thing.
biggrin.gif
>>>>>>>>>> James L.

I originally bought a 6 foot patch cord, but didn't know what to do with all the cord. I shortened it, soldered a new 1/8" Male Phone Plug onto it, and it works much better now. Mine ended up about 6" in length.

Yes I have velcro's the mini amp to the back of my CD Player. I also made a base out of wood to velco to the bottom of the CD Player also to form a base for the CD Player to sit on. The mini amp sits inside of a cut out in the wooden base.

All in all it worked out really good.

Now I just have to decide if I want to upgrade to a RCA Digital Voice Recorder or a MP3 Player. (I am using my Daughters CD Player right now.) Decisions, decisions. I'll get it figured out some day.

Larry

[This message has been edited by SD Handgunner (edited 01-21-2002).]

SD Handgunner--Sounds like you have arrived at the same conclusion I was reaching, that being that all you really need is maybe 6 inches or so of patch cord going to the amp.

I am pondering the same choice as you now, for the player--either the RCA DVR (still available on ebay for about $32 shipped), or an MP3. I know the MP3 is more versatile and capable. Maybe it is worth the $30-40 (?) or so more.

That brings up another question, for you guys who are more music-gadget oriented. What MP3 player do you think represents the best value, say in the sub-$100 range--any opinions/experience to share?

Thanks...

I'm looking for a good player also, where on e-Bay are the RCA's on sale?

I have been thinking a DVR might be the way to go as far as ease of downloading sounds, but I wonder if the range is enough. I think that they are mostly for voice recording so it may not do well on the varmint calls. Anyone have first hand experience on this?

Thanks Guy's,

Marcos
elalto@home.com

elalto--at ebay, click on "consumer electronics'" then "gadgets and other electronics," then "voice recorders." Scroll through that section and you should find quite a few of the RCA units.

Something I would ask of you guys who have bought the RCA units from ebay (I guess you can't answer this until you have received yours), is are these things refurbished, or customer returns, or what? Seems hard to believe that they would be brand new for under $30.

Forgot to add not to get stuck on all the part numbers listed to build the RS caller,my store had the amp and the horn,but not the cable part numbers.They have everything in stock to build whatever cables you need,just make sure you get the right ends for the amp and whatever your using to play the sounds.

I made up a small cord and velcroed the mini amp to the back of the speaker then I run the long cord between the cassette player and the amp. So far this setup has worked the best for me.

Back