Ultimate coyote gun

Coltonwynn

What would you guys say is the ultimate coyote gun every thing from caliber gun scope bullets every thing your not worried about price of ammo or price of gun you do how ever want to save hides
Mine would be a savage model 12fv 22-250 55gr bullet leupold 4.5-14X50 with a boyds laminate thumb hole stock Ordering monday!:)

I think what I have is the ticket.

D-tech 1/8 twist, 20 inch SS, fluted, NM2 stage trigger on a RRA lower. Burris FFII Ballistic plex 3-9x40.

The Black Hills 60 grain Hornady v-max has been a good combo for coyotes, bobcats and hogs.

I like have a quick follow up. I also like the pistol grip fo the AR when shooting off of sticks. I made one stand today after my deer hunt with my .270 and I forgot how tired it made my writst to hold a bolt gun on the sticks for 10 minutes.

Quote:
What would you guys say is the ultimate coyote gun every thing from caliber gun scope bullets every thing your not worried about price of ammo or price of gun you do how ever want to save hides
Mine would be a savage model 12fv 22-250 55gr bullet leupold 4.5-14X50 with a boyds laminate thumb hole stock Ordering monday!:)

watch'a been using???

the AR platform is awesome chambered in 17rem or 204 Ruger topped my favorite manufactures 6x powered scope would be hard to pass for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I currently use either encore in 204 or rem 700 in 17 furball /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sure like my RRA predator pursuit. Nikon Monarch 3-12X42. pole cat sticks, black hills 68 gr., and a brownells competitor plus sling.

I would have to pick a Dtech or Dan Carey light weight AR upper(~7#)with a 20 inch fluted chrome moly barrel chambered in .204. Then I would have to have a 3# trigger, houge grip, 6 position stock in my lower. I would top it all off with a IOR 3-18x42mm scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then I would have to be shooting 35gr. Bergers at 3900 feet per second into little tiny 1/4 minute groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You'll love how that FV shoots but if you do any amount of walking into call locations eventually you'll find yourself wanting something lighter. If I was replacing my Savage FV .22-250 I'd probably try a T3 lite in .22-250.

My ultimate coyote gun will hopefully be here before the end of the month. An ASI sub MOA mini 14 in .223, 20in stainless .75in thick barrel, 1in 8 twist. I'd have got it in .204 but it's gonna serve more duties than coyotes.

Ryan

Quote:

Almost exactly what I have!
[image]
chet003-2.jpg
[/image]

I am finding it very hard to beat the AR platform on Coyote stands. .223 or .204. I am having a bunch of dogs running off with the .204. But am going to try the berger 35's and see what happens there. The 40 grain vmaxes have already proved to be better than the SBK's.

But my Stevens doesn't see much action anymore.

I'm using a savage, model 110, 22-250 with a hornady 50 gr. v-max moly bullet. Great combo! Looking at some new scopes right now and will probably get a leupold 4x12 by 40.

I hate thumbhole stocks, I think they look horrible, no offense anyone. anyways mine would be a ruger m77 mk2 action with a krieger # 3 barrel 22-250 chambered for the sierra 1365's topped with an elite 4200 in 3x9. plastic tipped bullets pushed to top speeds in a 22-250 are a recipe for carnage and surface splashes, most people that recommend these haven't shot too many yotes

Rifles aren't nearly as ideal for how and where I hunt so keeping that in mind. Pump or semi auto 12 gauge 3.5 inch. Shooting a nice dense but even pattern of plated lead or one of the high density loads of bb-#4 buck. I prefer double bead some guys like scopes sights or red dots.

CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger at 7.2 pounds naked.

3 by 9 Leupold scope with a varmint reticule.

Light clip on sitdown bipod.

Nylon Super sling.

About 800 to 900 bucks and your ready to go. This outfit shoots as good as several custom built guns. If your looking at the AR platform some of the guys above gave you good advice. This is set up with an 8 by 32 variable for spring ground squirrels and rock chucks. It wears the 3 by 9 when fall comes around for coyotes and bob cats.

CZ527-204-2.jpg

Here's a five shot hundred yard group off the sitdown bipod.

targetstoday-20.jpg

sounds sweet guys but reb8600 I have shot the 250 for some time and I know what ya mean about beeing fur friendly hit one last week hit it high in the neck and un zipped his whole back!

steve garrett - I've never seen someone with more of a hate on for plastic tip bullets. I don't know how many coyotes you shoot a year or have shot in your lifetime but Q-Wagoner shoots ridiculous amounts of coyotes with them and he wants them for their fur.

I've shot about 20 with ballistic tips and aside from poor shots they're very fur friendly.

If only the people with the suitable amount of "experience" answered questions this site would quickly fade away.

Anyway your ultimate coyote gun sounds like a great choice. But that's just my opinion typing on a keyboard not because I've held or shot the exact same rifle.

Ryan

Quote:

My ultimate coyote gun will hopefully be here before the end of the month. An ASI sub MOA mini 14 in .223, 20in stainless .75in thick barrel, 1in 8 twist. I'd have got it in .204 but it's gonna serve more duties than coyotes.

Ryan

Not trying to change the tone of this thread, please keep us informed on your new Mini !

As far as a Coyote rifle, I love the T3 Lite. Its very accurate and light. Easy to pick off ground squirrels with. The thin barrel can get hot pretty quick, but for Coyotes, I have had great success. Good luck in your choices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
steve garrett - I've never seen someone with more of a hate on for plastic tip bullets. I don't know how many coyotes you shoot a year or have shot in your lifetime but Q-Wagoner shoots ridiculous amounts of coyotes with them and he wants them for their fur.

I've shot about 20 with ballistic tips and aside from poor shots their very fur friendly.

If only the people with the suitable amount of "experience" answered questions this site would quickly fade away.

Anyway your ultimate coyote gun sounds like a great choice. But that's just my opinion typing on a keyboard not because I've held or shot the exact same rifle.

Ryan

every situation and application is different, actually I love plastic tip bullets, I think they generally shot better than non plastic, they have a uniform nose that ads bc and does not deform if hit by something. if you look in my reloading stash you will find I have a preference for plastic tipped bullets, barnes TTSX and etips are some of my latest buys. if you are shooting plastic tipped bullets at 223 speeds its likely to work well, pushed to 3800+ and you will get some that works great, and kill a dog with no damage, some that surface splash, and some that just about cut the dog in half, I wish I had pictures for the naysayers. this is what I have seen, the 50 vmax is the best shooting bullet of any I have tried in my 22-250 why would I wanna change??? I just want ethically killed animals that are not destroyed, the very nature of bullets like the vmax are to blow up, they have a very very thin jacket and a lead core that is only held in by the nose being closed over it, once the tip is gone you have a giant HP and the bullet will explode, core and jacket will separate and fragment, thus causing big time carnage, this might be a good thing in some cases.

soft points are put together similar however the lead core runs up the nose and over the edge of the jacket, you will get a much more controlled expansion rather than a jacket separating explosion, extremely small hp match style bullets work better however are still not consistent enough. however I have yet to try the ultra small HP JLK bullets, instead opting for the highly recommended plain ole sierra 1365, the 60 vamx is highly touted here, my theory is they are running it at 223 speeds and it has just enough extra lead core to get the job done.

which brings up another thought, someone mentioned having dogs run off with the 204, if I am having this much trouble with bullet performance in the 22-250, the 204 shooting a lighter bullet at higher speeds would be even worse.

Back