cage trap for yotes

You are going to be hard pressed to get a coyote to enter a cage trap. Not saying it cant be done, but it could be a long season if you try.

Randy

Hmmm, ya'll coyotes must be smarter then the ones down here?

Hog traps get plenty of coyote action when a live chicken is left inside it(I've heard on reports of multiple catch). The fine folks at All Season Feeders actually make a pre-made hog trap, you should be able to find out information online...

I am kind of curious as to why your looking to trap them in a box-type trap alive? Leg-holds, if checked more frequently can produce healthy coyotes....just a thought.

Scott (their worth $50/live) B

sdb777,
How large are those hog traps that you are catching coyotes in? I can understand catching coyotes in a large cage, say 10 feet square or so. It is a dumb coyote that enters a 20" square by 48" long live trap though. Coyotes that I have met are very hesitent to enter those tight quarters.

sdb, legholds are illegal in Colorado. Also, live bait is illegal in many states. But, as RShaw said, it would be rare to catch a coyote in a cage trap. If your hog traps are of the same size ours are, I can see the possibility a little more, but still uncommon. Even if it was not a rarety, the size of the trap would make them prohibitive and unpractical.

Maintain

I wont say you can take big # of coyotes with cages but my grandpa has caught 10 of them in cages .7 in 12x18x36 the others in 24x24x48 . Think inside the box! is what he said.

Here is one caught in a 10x18x36 cage. Yancy

DSC_0666.jpg

i have talked to the division and asked if i could trap a couple coyotes buy a school that were bothering the kids and they said yes but i needed to use a cage trap also i have to worry about little kids getting into the leg trap

So where can a guy purchase large cage traps? (I've found some online, but they are very expensive). Or better yet, are there any plans out there for building them? Leg holds are also banned here in Washington.

we have a few amish guys that have been trapping coyotes with 12in diameter pvc pipe or similiar... as long as the insides is smooth.. length im not sure, id say 10-14ft.
they throw raw chicken meat in the bottom of the pipe(the end of it is capped ofcourse) and they put it on the steep slope of a bank they know the coyotes are running and stake it down.
when the coyote goes down the pipe to snatch up the chicken he cant pull himself back out.... too slick..
ive never tried it yet but i cant see why it wouldnt work. theres not enough room for them to turn around and they cant pull back out bc there is no traction.

Last edited:
CastleRocker,

How big of cage traps are you looking for and how many are you looking for? A friend and I are building cages for bobcats and looking at ideas for other animals.

Adam

Your use of the word "bothering" concerns me. If there are coyotes "bothering" school kids, those coyotes need to be killed. The response from CDOW is not acceptable; am I reading this right? CDOW is more concerned about a child getting into a leghold than attacked by a coyote. Do they think that we would make our sets on the playground?

It's Saturday so there should be no school kids being "bothered" today, but that also means that no one will answer the phone at CDOW. Have you tried calling the local Game Warden. I would not mess around here. Sounds like you are on the right track but these coyotes should have been taken out by now.

If I sound a little aggresive here please excuse me. I have Grandkids in Fountain and Thornton.

Was meaning to get back to see how this topic had developed, but things come up. The cages we use here measure 8'L x 3'H x 5'W, the door is spring loaded with trip wire 2/3rds of the way inside. The door can be pushed open(with force)...at least the hogs do it all the time to get in(but they weigh about 80lbs and up).

That stinks that legholds are 'outlawed', what about connibears in bucket sets? I'd image that a 220 would hold it in place until other arrangements could be taken....

Are the kids trying to feed these critter's? The coyotes have to be coming after something, certainly a single coyote wouldn't think that it could possibly take-down a schoolkid?

Scott (waiting for the rest-of-the-story Paul Harvey style) B

sorry i fell off the face of the earth for a couple days, the coyotes come up to the front door of the school in the mornings and also like to roam the playgrounds in the mornings as the parents unload there kids. there is to many activities going on at the school on the weekends church, football, stuff like that. The area is very populated i would say that most of it is the town of parkers problem for not taking care of the drainage area very thick as for the leg hold trap that was a issue of the health dept or something. we are trying to go about this the best way that we can with out the kids knowing about it. if it was up to me i would just call them and shoot them but they dont want to see the coyotes get hurt

I wish it was up to you. Sounds like you are up against the proverbial wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back