2 In The Hand Is Better Than.......

jimanaz

I had been running a pretty hot hand for a while when going to some of my proven spots and hitting it hard. I decided to lay off for a while and wait for the FoxPro contest to start and hopefully pick up where I left off. A word to the wise.....when you're hot, play it out. Otherwise, over the course of 2 weeks you could go from this...
IMG_0870.jpg

to this...
IMG_0884.jpg

Got one on my first stand with my shotgun. About 3 minutes in she ran by me from behind. I'm pretty sure the first shot killed her but she kept going. The second shot was low but took out her running gear and death had time to catch up.

Number 2 came about a dozen stands later with the rifle. She also came in from behind me. She was standing about 15 yards off my left shoulder when I saw her. I looked at her, she looked at me.....for a long time. She satrted to walk toward the call and I started to lower the remote which was in my right hand. I was facing west, looking into the Sun trying my best to manage the ever changing breeze. She heard something and stopped and stared at me again....for a long time. Then took a few more steps toward the call. She stopped and pawed at something on the ground and I took that opportunity to get rid of the remote which was frozen about half way down my chest. But I still couldn't do anything about getting lined up on her as I was still in her peripheral. Finally she started moving toward the call again. At last she got far enough in front of me that I could move the rifle and get on her and now she wouldn't stop for me. I kissed at her twice and she just ignored me. I dropped her with a bad hit on her left hip just as she crossed my path to and from the caller and most likely miliseconds before she hit another gear out of the stand. Ya gotta take what they give ya sometimes.

I called 4 other coyotes that never got shot at. 2 because I was holding my shotgun when I should have been holding my rifle. And 2 due the aggravating breeze. It never blew very hard but couldn't make up it's mind which way it was going. I'd set up in a nice crosswind, coyote would start making its way in and then booger about the time I felt the wind on the back of my neck. Very frustrating! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

BTW....... Scott, if you ever make another post about how succesful a guy can be shotgunning coyotes in the thick stuff, I will follow you out in the middle of no where and let the air out of your tires while you're sitting on your ladder. How did soreloser say it last year? STUPID SHOTGUN! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

well, like Jerry Reed once sang, "When you're hot you're hot, when you're not you're not."...sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I like that fence full of yotes but them two on the ground are looking good too.

Honestly I don't see anything to complain about, looks like a great time out..Congrats on both outings... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stupid shotgun, I remember that!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim-
I have a solution to your shotgun problem. Don't ever go where a rifle would be an option. I intentionally put myself face to face with thickets. There is no room to use a rifle. If a coyote or bobcat shows himself, they've got the caller, me, and my 12 GA front and center to worry about. I tell myself to not move a muscle on stand, so any coyote that back doors me and gets my wind gets a free pass as I didn't see it anyway.

Recently when I have a hunting partner, I get them to carry the rifle and I set them up looking downwind and I set up in my usual face in the thick stuff mode. 9.5/10 times the coyote comes to the caller and I get the shot.

We should plan a Saturday in what I like and I'll shotgun and you rifle and we'll see how we do. Weather is getting beautiful and all day hunts are not bad.

Quote:
Better than a swift kick in the nuts eh!

Exactly!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But the list is long and undistinguished when it comes to being better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back