AR - Extended Latch for Charging Handle, Installation ?

bhk

I need one due to my low mounted scope on my R-15. Is it really easy to install one on my existing charging handle? I guess I need a special punch for the roll pin?

I will be buying from Brownells. I note they also sell charging handles with extended latches as a complete unit. Is this a better way to go?

Doesn't matter which way you go. One is just more expensive. Pretty easy to do it your self if you have a small set of pin punches.

Yeah I've put on 2 of the latches on stock charging handles. Easy but if the price difference isn't too very much I'd get the complete unit.

All you need is the right sized punch and you can do it in no time. Just be careful that you don't lose the small spring between the latch & handle. It has a tendency to pop out & fly across the room after you tap the retainer pin out...

Yes, just takes a special tongue movement to get it in by yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 2 pairs of hands helps.

1/16" on the roll pin punch....Some auto parts stores don't carry them as they are really small...(and break easily if you apply sideways pressure on them..)

If you have a strong thumb and a wee bit of luck, the Badger Tactical latch is easy to install your self...You just have to get the right angle on the pressure putting the new one in while compressing the spring.

Thanks. I can just order the punch when I order the latch. I was thinking of getting the Badger mid-size latch.

I just tap the roll pin half way out, not all the way. Then I place the extended handle in place and everything stays where it should be and tap the pin back in place.

Back