21 more coyotes and a fox

Q-Wagoner

Got a few more pictures rounded up from our TX trip. Notice the system we had for skinning. I would start a few coyotes and Randy would hook them up on the machine. The skinning machine sure saved us a lot of time and labor.

268.jpg

271.jpg

295.jpg

Good hunting.

Q,

Geeze!You guys are some coyote killin fools.Good job ya'll keep stackin em' up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I dream of the day when I can hook a lazy boy with a gun rest 6 ft above my truck bed.

If only AZ laws were more like Texas...

Impressive stuff there guys.

LOL it is a tuff job but someone has to do it!! Hey I wish we could do it here in NE also! No, actually I think if you have the numbers, a good coyote hunter can do nearly as well during the day. Night hunting gives you more options though. If it is blowing during the day you can just wait until the weather breaks and go hunting no mater what time it is.

Last year was a great case in point. Randy and I were trapped in a hotel room do to high winds all of one day. When the sun went down it started to rain so we went to bed. At around 2 in the morning I hear some rustling around and woke up. Randy was standing in his boxers with the motel door wide open. I ask what the he!! Was he doing? He turned around with a smile on his face and said "It quit raining" I said "Lets roll" LOL We killed 6 by dawn that morning.

Hunting out of a truck has some other perks as well. Elevation for one is a tremendous advantage when you are hunting brushy areas. The mobility it offers is another plus. But most importantly you are hunting at night when predators are typically more active. Night hunting also greatly improves your odds with other predators that tend to be even more nocturnal than coyotes. Primarily Bobcats. Bobcats can be tuff to spot during the daylight hours but at night there eyes give them away long before you would spot them in the daytime.

Thanks guys and good hunting to you.

Q,

Q, I'm glad the pole worked out. I appreciate all the 'customers' you sent me from your first post. I'll have to split the profit with you. People still have some questions as far as field applications, so I have been giving them your cell #. I hope it is still best to reach you between 12am and 6am? If those times don't work, let me know.

Maintain, Geordie

P.S. Rusty, your PM box is full

Hey guys, question on your pole (and I just got through telling Geordie I could tell it all from the pictures, LOL!).

What or how exactly are you tieing off the pelt? Looks like you've got some sort of a clamp going there? I'm using a golf ball and rope, but it adds some length and my skinning pole isn't extra long. Looks like whatever you are doing would work better.

- DAA

Dave,

The first picture is of the winch assembley that slides into the receiver hitch. Geordie made this long enough to allow for the tailgate to be down and also the winch can be adjusted along the tubing.

002-1.jpg

This is the yoke. Two vice grips with wide cleats welded on them. We double some fur on the leg of the coyote and squeeze down with the vice grips. Now the yoke is 20 inches wide and creates too much of an angle when pulling. Resulted in a couple of tears at the legs. Geordie is going to narrow this down to 12 inches and all should be good.

001-1.jpg

We also tried attaching the coyote at the base of the tail. This worked good, but did not allow easy spinning. Another good feature is almost all cutting is done at a chest-high level. You can use a stout S hook and hook behind the tendons on the legs. By doing this, you can shorten the length of the pole considerably.

Randy

DAA,
I've got a rig that is almost identical to that one, I'm using a pair of vice grips (the welders style with the wide mouth), I weld a 5/16 dowel pin to the top & bottom, this seems to keep the hide from tearing when you start pulling with the winch.

Ah! I like that. Gonna copy it. I've got enough tube left over to do it, too.

Thanks!

- DAA

Ya, rockinbbar we keep a tally on how many coyotes and other predators we take a season. Last year just in TX we took over 100 coyotes and over 50 bobcats out of my rig as well as a whole bunch of other critters. Run a search on my name and you can read our hunt reports.

Thanks and good hunting.

Q,

Back