Arizona desert thickets producing day after day- Bobcat & Coyote

Hyperwrx

Got out late morning, 11am, headed South to an area that repeatedly has been produces for me. I deviated from the normal giant thick stuff and headed down a canal bank with cotton fields and thin patches of thick Mesquite and Palo Verde trees, and Creosote bushes. Realized at that point I forgot the ladder.

Stand 1- Careful of the wind direction I approach a thicket of trees with deep yellow grass. I walk in and find an open area on the fringe of the thicket. No good trees to stand again so I find a tree to sit against with the Minaska in a bush in front of me 20 feet. No decoy as I lost it yesterday on the quad. I fire up Woodpecker in distress for 2 minutes on loud volume with no action. I switch to kitten distress, which is basically a kitten meowing over and over and 25 seconds into that I see a nice bobcat step out of the edge of the thick stuff and walk behind the bush the caller is in. I raise my shotgun hoping that once the bobcat realizes there ain't no kitten in there it will go back out of the stand the way it come in. I have about a 10' window to shoot him in. Just as I guessed he slinks back out but since I am sitting i can only see the top of his back and his head. I shoot at what I can see and drop him right there. Thicker fur than the ones I shot a month ago. No pelt damage from the #4 buck, even at 20 feet.

Picture of the thicket I called him in from. I was in the middle of the tall trees in the center of the picture.

11_9c.jpg

Arizona cotton field as backdrop. The harvesters were in the field behind me picking the cotton.

11_9d.jpg

I then move 400 yards down the same ditch and see a thin section of dense trees. I stop the truck and walk quietly around the trees so my wind isn't heading into them. I put the Minaska All in One in one of the small bushes in the picture and stand up against a tree.

11_9b.jpg

30 seconds into woodpecker distress I have a nice sized coyote come busting out of the trees heading for the caller. As she approaches the caller she passes in front of one of the bushes and I take that opportunity to raise my shotgun. Not stealthy enough, she sees movement and wheels around and is bolting for the trees. I shoot twice and she does a Pete Rose slide, head first, into the trees. Very nice sized female I'd guess between 25 and 30 pounds. Worn teeth and some battle scars on her head.

11_9a.jpg

Haven't done stands on the ground in a while. was nice to not have to carry the ladder but visibility is dramatically reduced. Almost lost the bobcat on account of it. 5 total stands, 1 coyote and 1 bobcat taken.

To the AZ hunter not having the success he wants in calling in coyotes. I am a firm believer that anyone can call in just as many coyotes in the desert as I am by just remembering a few things. First you have to call in areas that hold coyotes. I do not call open desert flatland hardly at all. Maybe first light but then I move into thicker trees. Remember the wind. Do whatever you have to do to get good visibility, ladder, standing.. whatever. Don't create for yourself a stand where if a coyote comes in, you can't shoot him, on account of too many obstacles yet have enough cover he feels comfortable coming into the stand. My mentor taught me to situate the caller on the fringe of the thick stuff so the coyotes sense of security is higher and he is more likely to, at least, show himself as he looks at the caller/decoy. Don't use big decoys or white decoys. I use small feather lifelike bird decoys that are used to bring the coyote in closer, not to make it stop and stare. I want the coyote to see my decoy and say 'there's a tangled up bird for lunch'. Walk into your stand 100% silent. No stepping on sticks, branches, and such. Gun barrel not making contact with branches. Use sounds that the coyote is not hearing constantly from other callers. Go through 2-3 sounds per stand. Throwing a zoo at them in 15 minutes is stupid. I use 3 completely different sound types in hopes of peaking the coyotes interest. Right now I use Woodpecker Distress, kitten distress, and puppy distress. I don't call continuously. My caller plays 25 seconds and I let it go silent 1 minute, over and over. I have created sound files with the pauses already in them so I don't have to have my hand on the remote when on stand. Shotguns are forgiving, rifles are not. In thick stuff, a shotgun is your best firearm to get the job done. #4 buck or Dead Coyote will plow right through bushes and small branches. My stands NEVER exceed 15 minutes and are more close to 10 minutes. If you can't coax it out of the thick stuff in 10 minutes, it ain't coming no matter what you do. Move on. Do other methods work? Of course they do. I just know I am shooting a lot of predators this season and it isn't because I'm some fabulous hunter, it's just because I stay consistent to a proven certain pattern.

Very nice day for you Scott..Congrats on both the cat and the coyote. The coyote looks big.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice set up on your ATV from your other post.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You can leave your ladder at home, no body will think less of you if you call like the rest of us.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great job and thanks for the write-up! I used to shoot a lot of dogs down by Maricopa. Looks like you have taken that area over. Keep it up!

Dogboy- Still planning on a December Cali coyote hunt with you. I'll bring down 2 ladders for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anthonyr - Yesterday and today's predators were nowhere near Maricopa. I go all over.

Good write up Scott. That's really some good information. Congrats on the kitty and good looking dog!!

Ccongrats! You sure seem to have it all down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
What you doing with all that fur?

Quote:
Don't use big decoys or white decoys.

Nice story, Scott; thanks for sharing!

I had just about decided that the large decoy on my JIB might be causing bobcats to hang up and your observation is what I needed to convince me I need to change it out.

Called in a cat Wed. evening, right at dark; it was sitting in some high grass about 75 yards past my decoy which was set up 50 yards down the road when I first picked it up. Just as I spotted it, it turned, stepped out into the two track and strolled away. I got on it and knocked it down w/100 gr. Nos. solid base bullet in 243 WSSM (was also deer hunting). Cat dropped in it's tracks and laid there so I took rifle down. Just as I stood up, cat got up and walked into the high grass alongside the road; didn't have a chance to get off another shot.

There was lots of blood in the road and on the grass up to edge of the very thick brush (catclaw, blackbrush, mesquite thicket). Grass in the thicket was about 3.5' high and had laid over forming many tunnels where small varmints obviously travelled. Only way to see blood trail was to lay down on the ground and peer into these tunnels or use a brush axe and lift the grass to open tunnel up. Moving the grass often obscured the blood. Blood trail disappeared in the dark and we had killed two rattlers that day, so better part of valor was to come back the next morning at first light. Just knew we would find the cat dead due to the massive blood loss, but spent a miserable 2.5 hours on our hands and knees tracking the cat about 100 yards just to finally lose the blood trail. /will be picking out thorns for the next two weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

While cat had travelled in the really thick stuff left lots of blood, mostly on twigs and grass but when it broke out into more open stuff blood trail just petered out and we finally had to give up.

Sure wish I had been using the .223 w/55 gr. NBT's; the cat would have been down for the count.

Next week we'll give the smaller decoy a try.

Regards,
hm

Scott, leave some for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm off the next two days and if the wife is off I'm getting out of the house.

Hmmm, I might have to try me one of them there shotguns one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice post of a nice hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm a novice, well somebody in the Arizona Predator Callers take me?
Sounds like you have more coyotes and bobcats then you'll need, I won't kill many.

PS, you won't get me on a ladder.

Great post and information. Cats are cool and you seem to be getting them in close. Thick stuff has to be the ticket.

I'm jealous scott...
Awesome day of hunting! At least you shot them before the wind came flying through the valley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So Scott you ever going to take me out again or are we done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif? You shot my cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I will say that when we first started hunting you knew what you were doing but I have witnessed you coming into your own in just this short time. You would give anyone a run for their money.

Back