How to keep a scope from fogging up

DennisP

Does anyone have any good solutions to keeping a scope from fogging and getting wet? Yesterday a buddy and I went out dog hunting in a new area and it rained on us the whole time. We figured we had already driven that far we might as well give it a try anyways. We had a dog come in to us but froze up about 600 yrds out due to my decoy that was set up. We put the sneak on him and got to about 135 yrds but I could not see a thing. I don't really like scope covers because you open em once and they continue to fog after that. Does anyone have any great solutions to solve this problem? I know there are a lot of Anti-Fog sprays and wipes out there are there any that are absolute magic? What do you all do to keep this from happening?

I don't think you keep a scope from fogging.
When a scope is new it is filled with nitrogen which keeps it from fogging.
It seems that to a point the better the scope the less prone to fogging it is.

I am forced to wear eyeglasses and have lots of trouble with them fogging. Have tried about everything known to man and yet to find anything that works 100%. Nutrogena (sp?) soap (it is glycerine base) did about as much good as any of the commercial products sold for the purpose; just get a bit on your finger and wipe on lenses, then remove most of it with a lens tissue. Don't know how it would work on scopes.

Hope someone comes up with a surefire solution for your scope and I'll give it a try on my glasses.

Regards,
hm

We leave our rifles in the cold durring a hunt so the scopes stay the same temp as the outside air. If we have to keep them in the cab of the truck we don't turn on the heat, we're dressed for the cold anyway. I carry dry TP in a baggy to wipe lenses in the rain. And be sure not to breath on the lense when the scope is in the half ready position. 50yrs of hunting MN, WI and here on the coast I've never had a problem with fogging.

AWS

The only thing I know of is the anti fog wipes/paste. How is the weather up there now? Ill be heading that way in the morning for work.

I have a sure fire technique, but it cost me an elk once. Seriously, it cost me a nice 5x5 bull. But it does work!

Get a 2" wide rubber band from an inner tube, not too tight, but tight enough. Wad up a few kleenex or a couple feet of TP, and stick it on the lenses, and put the inner tube over the scope.

99% of the time, when you pull the band off, the kleenex will pop right out and fall away..... unless you have a spooked 5x5 Colorado Bull Elk running across the hillside 50 yards from you, then you can't get it out with a screwdriver!

(The lenses will be clean and dry 100% of the time!)

Yesterday it rained all day. Today it was foggy til about one and then cleared off. Its been fair weather though. Still a little warm for hunting. I'm hoping for some snow

Cat Crap.

No, not Garfield poopy, but that is the name of an anti-fog cream. I use in on my glasses and on the flip shield of my motorcycle helmet.

Found it at a ski shop. Works, so what more to say?

Back